August'Inn farewell

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

August'Inn farewell

Post by Allan »

If you look on Tripadvisor.com or a number of other travel websites then the all rate the August'Inn as the best or close to the best in Perpignan. The french guide books similarly rave over it, listing it as a Petit Resto avec an Grand Chef.

We first went there a year ago and just didn't enjoy it, the menu is very limited ( 2 choices for each course) and the chef not only cooks it but also takes the orders and serves the food. I took the view at the time that since our impression seemed so far adrift of the majority that maybe we had chosen badly or gone on a day when the menu just didn't suit us.

Last night we thought we would give it another go having read the web site and been attracted by this month's menu. It didn't bode well when I rang to book a table and the chef started ranting about never taking bookings again as people made them and just didn't turn up. Eventually I persuaded him that we wouldn't come without a booking and he calmed down a bit.

When we got there we found that the published menu had been curtailed and the Mignons de Porc were no longer on offer. By this time we felt quite sorry for the guy particularly when he told us that he was closing for good next week because he was losing money all the time. The wine list comprised of whatever he had left and the food when it arrived was just ridiculous. My main course was rabbit in a jamjar with unpleasant spices accompanied by a side order of rabbit food. On our previous visit my wife had been served Salmon with a birdseed crust (well thats what it seemed like anyway).The sad thing is that he obviously take great care and pride in the preparation and presentation of his dishes but those that we had just didn't work.

It look to me like this is a case of a chef who has lost his way in the world, he clearly takes his food seriously but in an attempt to keep his restaurant going has cut back on everything, the closure of his restaurant is probably the best thing that could happen to him though it is always sad to see anyone's hopes and dreams evaporate.

He plans to keep his website going and will tell the world when he has 'found something new'.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

That is sad to hear, we have had many a good meal there, and a lovely chap as well, always comes out and speaks to us, I still get an email regularly when the menu is changed, and often drool over it when it arrives.

Well good luck to him for the future, and lets hope he comes back.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

We had lunch there once and enjoyed it (well, I did more than Mr. Polremy).

For 12 euros we got a "jamjar" of something very imaginative with a salad and classy bread, plus a tasty dessert and a glass of wine.
I seem to remember the proper phrase is "verrine".

I thought it was good value, especially considering where it is positioned (we were outside). We enjoyed watching the world go by and weren't rushed at all.

Wouldn't pay his evening prices though - 33 euros is it?