Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

franglaise
Rank 1
Rank 1

cooking classes & pheasant hunting

Post by franglaise »

Hello,

I've got guests from England coming in September. They're interested in attending a cooking class. Does anyone know of a place which might offer that? The husband would also like to go hunting (he mentioned pheasants but I guess it could be other game/games - singular or plural?). Do you know of a local hunt?

Thanks in advance.
French born but British expat
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Try this for the hunting :

[PDF]
La Fédération Nationale des Chasseurs
Format de fichier: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Afficher
66 PYRENEES-. ORIENTALES. 04 68 08 21 41

alternatively you could also speak to the ONF

http://www.onf.fr/gestion_durable/somma ... index.html
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I used to be a member of a proper shoot in England but what I have seen locally bears no relationship to it. Certainly our local Chasse is a load of drunken idiots that have no idea about gun safety. If your guest is a member of a shoot in England he would hate the shooting that I have seen.

I'm not sure in any case when the season starts here, I think it is about the 3rd week in September.

As something different consider wild boar hunting, you don't get that in England, there is a gun club at Castelnou which I believe is owned by an english guy, might be worth speaking to him
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

As for cooking try Les loges du jardin d'Aymeric at Clara

http://www.logesaymeric.com/uk/lja-1000.php
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Allan is right. If your guest is a member of a shoot in Britain, he will probably not like the hunting here.

Shoots in Britain are generally for the wealthier end of society - unless you go as a beater, of course. Hunts over here are for the peasants. In addition, they are out all day and climbing high in the mountains and walking for miles, not standing still and having pheasants flushed out of the cover by beaters. The two types of hunt are as different as chalk and cheese.

He may like the stalking organised by the ONF, though I think he may be here too early.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

I have done clay shooting...not the same I know. :roll: do they do that in France ??
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Marguerite & Steve wrote:I have done clay shooting...not the same I know. :roll: do they do that in France ??
There is a place for Trap Shooting a bit aways from the Perpignan airport. You can also do pistol shooting there too.

There is another place with clay shooting near the Canet Carrefour. It's located between the Carrefour shopping area and Cabestany.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Trying to get back to answering the question and hoping people have the patience to scroll past all that stuff....

There is an English-speaking Mediterranean cookery class at Mas Saurine in Joch near Vinca. www.mas-saurine.com

Paul Francis, if he's lurking, may be able to tell you about another.

I don't know about joining a hunting party but there is a clay-pigeon and shooting range at Caixas. I don't know their coordonnees but I'm sure google will help.

I don't think there is much (legal) hunting in Sept. I've never noticed my pickers having to dodge bullets anyway :lol:
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
J-Paul
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by J-Paul »

The range Santiago mentioned is between Caixas and Castelnou
details at www.tirdesaspres.com
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »