Restocave la Pichenouille, Maury

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Restocave la Pichenouille, Maury

Post by Santiago »

For all of you who complain about wine price hikes in restaurants. This is the place to go in th PO (that rhymes too!).

Jean Pla runs a Caviste/Bistro in Maury, opposite the Cave Coop. He has a great selection of wine from the Fenouilledes and surrounding valleys.

The menu is simple in the extreme. 2 set menus at 15 and 21 € or a choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts. Personally I like that. I hate menus filled out with staples like Steak Frites, Spaghetti Carbonara and Coq au Vin just for people who can't understand the rest :roll:

All the wines are available at the normal retail price. We had Domaine des Enfants Tabula Rasa Blanc at €20. A really classy local white with bags of concentration.

I had Seiches a la Catalane followed by wholewheat pasta (a bit too al dente) with gambas and cream. The whole thing was delish and allowed us to have a wine which would have been beyond our means in a "normal" restaurant.

I also inquired about the Maison de Terroir. Apparently it has been relieved of it's financial problems by the Mairie and is still going strong with its Michelin star. Maybe next time...
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29