Think twice!

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Think twice!

Post by Roger O »

... if you're disposing of an old PC or laptop!!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7816446.stm
The only way to stop fraudsters stealing information from old computer hard drives is by destroying them completely.

Computing magazine Which? recovered 22,000 "deleted" files from eight computers purchased on eBay.
... and I always thought format c: did the job!

I have my old PC to get rid of and am rather loathe to smash the hard drive when I can format the c drive - as I have all the system disks to reinstall a new "virgin" Windows ME system back onto it with no personal files or software which could then be upgraded by online download.

However, if reformatting the c drive doesn't do the deleting job, and some of my personal stuff (like Credit Mutuel Cybergestion files) is recoverable, then I could be in trouble!

(I do have a nice sledgehammer in the shed - my shed, not Serge's!)

Post by Guest »

It's a similar thing with the SD cards etc. that are used in cameras, if you accidentally delete an image from them I think there is some software available now to retrieve the deleted image.
Serge

Post by Serge »

Ermm?

I posted the above but forgot to log in and it has accepted the posting ...........................
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Are you having one of these out of body experiences, Serge?

Regarding old computers, I have had an old iMac and and iBook for ages because I am scared just to throw them out given there will be banking and credit card info on them. I've often thought I should just remove the hard drive and smash it up with a hammer so this confirms that this is exactly what I should do. Thanks Roger.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Pity (for him) that Mr G Glitter did not think of the "sledgehammer" option for HIS computer.........
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Nortons used to have a program which would reconstitute the files. Normally the first letter of a file is which uses as the method of deleting files. Of course, you could go into the drive and re-change the first letter back which was used first. Et Voila! It's back again.

A few years later Peter Norton or Symantec put out a new program which will format the drive and wash the files five times. This changes things around that it keeps from using the file.

Now I don't think that a program isn't being sold. Maybe Symantec will re-issue the program again.

In the eighties and nineties the nerds and/or the hackers were having a fertile field with those programs. Some of these are still around but you have to be a serious hacker to get this information.

Blackduff
IanCharlton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IanCharlton »

There are a couple of other options.
1) Stick the drive from your old computer into the new one & set it up as a slave drive. Extra storage for "free". It's a fairly simple plug and go job. There are plenty of internet sites that tell you how to do it.

2) If the old computer still works & you have a home network, leave it connected to the network. You can use it as a music server. There's a £20 piece of kit available that lets you record all your vinyl onto disk.

3) Put it in your car with the CD drive door open. It'll make an excellent cup holder. OK, now I'm getting silly.

If you do need to throw it away, it is hammer-time for the disks. A couple of dents isn't enough. Teeny-tiny pieces is what you need.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

IanCharlton wrote:
2) If the old computer still works & you have a home network, leave it connected to the network. You can use it as a music server. There's a £20 piece of kit available that lets you record all your vinyl onto disk.
I'd be interested to have more info on this please, Ian! Does it work? The only bit of kit that I found costs £85 and is pretty useless.

When I've bought new computers I take my old base unit to my supplier, which he takes but then he removes the hard drive and gives it to me to dispose of as I wish. He recycles said base unit, I have the safe knowledge that the hard drive is with me. Image
Last edited by thumbelina on Mon 30 Mar 2009 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
IanCharlton
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IanCharlton »

I bought this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magix-Audio-Cle ... B0002W5VH8. It comes with a lead. Plug one end into the headphone socket of your Hifi and the other end into your microphone or Aux socket on the PC.
It works really well, though you have to tweak the settings a bit to get a sound quality you like, particularly the clean-up options. It took all the clicks & crackles out of my 80's New Romantic :oops: 45s a treat.

There are newer versions at a similar price, but I think you have to buy the leads seperately.

Let me know if you need more information about the networking or slave drive options.

Cheers,
Ian
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

IanCharlton wrote: It works really well, though you have to tweak the settings a bit to get a sound quality you like, particularly the clean-up options. It took all the clicks & crackles out of my 80's New Romantic :oops: 45s a treat.

Cheers,
Ian
Just my cup of tea!! :wink:
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

thumbelina wrote:
IanCharlton wrote:
I'd be interested to have more info on this please, Ian! Does it work? The only bit of kit that I found costs £85 and is pretty useless.

When I've bought new computers I take my old base unit to my supplier, which he takes but then he removes the hard drive and gives it to me to dispose of as I wish. He recycles said base unit, I have the safe knowledge that the hard drive is with me. Image
You can download a piece of kit for nothing. Works brilliantly. It's called audacity and I used it to do most of my stuff.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Wicked, thanks Bee :D