Best PO Reds, whats yours?

Recommendations, comments or questions about wine matters

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan » Thu 11 Jan 2018 13:16

Santiago wrote:
Petite Siberie is a great wine. But I don't think many critics view it as the exceptional wine of the region or as an exceptional wine in its price bracket. What it does do is help sell tens of thousands of bottles of Les Sorcieres.
You must read different guides to me, Parkers and Wine Spectator regularly rate it in the high nineties.

Just to be clear, which region are we talking about? The PO or Languedoc-Roussillon which most critics lump together.

I would be interested in what you think are viewed as the exceptional wines of the region?

TonyGoodman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TonyGoodman » Thu 11 Jan 2018 13:28

For my personal project I'm focusing on producers within an hour of downtown Perpignan. I'd be interested in any recommendations.

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Thu 11 Jan 2018 14:12

I read a lot of guides, French, British, American. As an insider I know a lot about how they function and some are more reliable than others. Parker, as you probably know, is very divisive. Some wine buffs love his choices, others dislike them. Spectator was the subject of a research paper which showed a large correlation with their scores and their advertising revenue.

The best way IMO to discover great wines, allowing for subjectivity, is to discuss with other wine lovers and taste as much as possible, keeping an open mind.

To be honest, I don't think we should get worked up about what are viewed as the "exceptional" wines of the region because that's where the subjective judgement really comes in. Every critic, and every winelover, has a different favourite Roussillon wine.

I think Petite Siberie a great wine but it is exceptional only for its price.

I prefer to band wines (and producers) into three categories. Poor, decent and great. Within the "great" category there will be many different styles and preferences.

I'm not going to name them all because there are too many. But regular visits to the independent cavistes of the region, especially those in Perpignan, will help you decide which are your favourites, which are overrated and which are a bit weird for your tastes.

My last point is important. Because of the newness of this region as one making great wines, many of the highly-rated producers named by the critics are making funky "Natural" wines that are very unlikely to impress someone who has developed their tastes through classic wines like top Bordeaux, Rhone, Burgundy or even California and Australia.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29

Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter » Thu 11 Jan 2018 16:37

Domaine Treloar's 'Le Secret' does it for me every time.

Not wishing to make Santiago's head swell but I love the stuff, and many clients have asked how they can get their hands on some having tasted it at mine.

Anthea & Tim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anthea & Tim » Fri 12 Jan 2018 07:59

Chateau de Lacroix in Cabestany may also be worth a look.

TonyGoodman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TonyGoodman » Fri 12 Jan 2018 17:45

An addendum to my search for a bottle of Clos de Rouge Gorge and the query whether the local consumers know what they have here. I found this on the net.

Aria-Brisbane-Wine-List-27.12.16.pdf Page 9

Apparently its available 12,000 miles away but not here.

I may have to put this project aside until the next Ashes tour down under.

dsd
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dsd » Sat 13 Jan 2018 14:48

Les Pierres Plates, Terrassous, as recommended to me by the Director of the Cave in Argelès. Around 10E a bottle. I have often bought it for other people and everyone has loved it

TonyGoodman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TonyGoodman » Sun 14 Jan 2018 09:53

Dropped into the small cave in the smaller covered market in Perpignan. In my humble opinion a much better range than the booth in the bigger market and the caviste has a greater depth of knowledge.

The caviste suggested this one for roast pork belly. Superb and for just under 20E great value. I've paid five times that for Cote Roties which were as not as good.

http://www.rectorie.com/les-vins/collio ... -cote-mer/

Berry Bros & Rudd, whose opinions I respect like what they do.

https://www.bbr.com/producer-2490-domai ... a-rectorie

Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen » Sun 14 Jan 2018 11:51

I'm pretty clueless about wine but have been keen to learn more about what's produced locally, so tend to pop into the caves in either Amelie or Ceret to ask for recommendations.

A couple of years back I was going to stay with friends up in the Aude who appreciate good wines, and so I asked for advice in the Amelie cave.

One of their suggestions was La Rectorie - the Collioure Rouge : cote mer.

I bought it - and it was very much enjoyed around the table in the Aude (though I can't now remember what with).

It went on to my 'definitely buy again' list.

TonyGoodman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TonyGoodman » Mon 15 Jan 2018 10:03

A query for santiago re BLIC

For an amateur I also look for something different, an interesting X factor which I assume is driven by the type of grapes and of course the winemakers skil. Is that what you mean by Complexity? After being raised on big bold sometimes brutal Syrah or Cab Sav reds the local blending of old vines I've not encountered before is quite refreshing.

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Wed 17 Jan 2018 11:45

I think what you are saying is more about balance. Complexity is the range or number of aromas and flavors the wine has.

I totally get the thing about discovering new grape varieties and flavors. It’s fun and I still do it myself but the BLIC system is about analyzing the merits of the wine, not just its novelty.

TonyGoodman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TonyGoodman » Sun 28 Jan 2018 09:42

Had the Lauriga 100% Merlot last night with chicken wrapped with Iberico ham. What was interesting was usually I find a 100% Merlot easy satisfying drinking. However perhaps due to my explorations with various local grape types I found it a bit bland. My taste buds are changing? The wine was nicely crafted and totally drinkable. Not sure of the price TBH I just threw it in the trolley when cruising the wine cave at LeClerc Nord however I would class it as a good value BBQ wine. Not a lightweight, more George Foreman than Lester Piggott so deserves respect.

I think I need to saddle up and trot over to the domaine and have a look at the more interesting wines.

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago » Sun 28 Jan 2018 10:42

Lauriga was sold a couple a of years ago to the large Languedoc wine company "Paul Mas" who I'm sure you have seen in the supermarkets. They decided to keep the name of the domaine but it's an estate that would tick the boxes for a wine company. Young vineyards on flat land with new trellis and irrigation. Easy to mechanise and perfect for making everyday wines.

TonyGoodman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TonyGoodman » Sun 28 Jan 2018 11:07

Therefore my taste buds may not have changed its more to do with bland easy drinking wines?

Nothing wrong with that of course, its good to have a bottle or two of something reliable for when the neighbours drop in however its not what I'm looking for at the moment.

collioure
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Best PO Reds, whats yours?

Post by collioure » Wed 20 Mar 2019 21:16

I drive a route de vin every summer or fall when I buy about 60 bottles, almost without tasting. I love Mourvèdre, and about half of the wines I buy include at least 30% of it. My favorite wine is l'Amourette from Thunévin-Calvet at the entrance of Maury. However, for the first time in a number of years in 2019 I am going to buy Les Hauts de Força Réal from Domaine Força Real on the hill opposite Milles. This wine has exotic, wild berry flavors.
While I have your attention, I will note that I obtain excellent (91 from Parker) red Zinfandel from the only Zinfandel hectare in France. It comes from Domaine de l'Arjolle in the Hérault and is available at the Palais du Vin in Narbonne.