Walk in clinic in Perpignan?

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

Leok
Rank 2
Rank 2

Walk in clinic in Perpignan?

Post by Leok »

Hello all,

Visiting Perpignan and the wife has a nasty sore throat,running nose etc etc.
Is there a walk in clinic in the city where we could possible see a doctor?

Thanks in advance
LeoK
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

All the hospitals have walk in 'urgences'....but I doubt they would see your wife for a runny nose unless she has some underlying condition that could make it dangerous. Pop into a chemist - they advise you on the best over the counter treatment.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Some of the fir trees are producing a lot of pollen at the moment. Does she suffer from hay fever?

Russell
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

It's tiresome to happen when you are on a trip away, but the standard advice is to do essentially nothing beyond, say, ibuprofen and cough syrup from a pharmacy unless it persists for a week or more. They are almost all "self-limiting" viral infections, which you can't treat even if you try, but will go away anyway.

French doctors are notoriously ready to prescribe antibiotics - bullied by their patients - which do nothing beyond making any bugs which happen to be around a bit more drug-resistant.

Unless russell is right about hay fever: I've been surprised to find mine kicking in much earlier than I'm used to. Over the counter remedies are available at a pharmacy come Monday - I use loratidine - but they take a day or so to achieve much.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Pharmacy is best place to go.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

tia wrote:Pharmacy is best place to go.
I agree, but if you don't believe in homeopathy, check that you are not being charged a silly price for sugar pills or sugar water. You are at risk of getting them in exactly these cases where there is no effective treatment, but it will get better anyway. French pharmacists are helpful when they can be, but are happy to sell you junk when they don't need to be.