Port Vendres Open Day

Fetes & Festivities in the Pyrénées-Orientales/What's on and where..

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat 07 Mar 2015 05:45
Contact:

Port Vendres Open Day

Post by Gus Morris »

The port had an open day yesterday and I wonder if anybody went. If so was it any good?

Switched on the tele last night as a sort of electronic wallpaper with the idea it would run in the background while I did stuff. Instead got hooked on "Le plus grand cabaret du monde". They had some really top class acts.

Gus
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Re: Port Vendres Open Day

Post by martyn94 »

Gus Morris wrote:The port had an open day yesterday and I wonder if anybody went. If so was it any good?

Switched on the tele last night as a sort of electronic wallpaper with the idea it would run in the background while I did stuff. Instead got hooked on "Le plus grand cabaret du monde". They had some really top class acts.

Gus
I did. I enjoyed it much more than I expected. It started with some stands upstairs in the gare maritime, with all the actors represented: douanes, the pilot service, the stevedoring company, the compagnie fruitière ...... who all answered questions willingly, and gave me a free banana.

There were also lots of old and not-so-old photos, which I always enjoy: I hadn't realized, for example, that there were attempts at a car ferry service from here to the Balearics as late as the 90s.

Then we got the guided tour downstairs: mostly a big refrigerated shed partly filled with bananas, but notable for the genuine (or very well simulated) commitment of the people doing it. And then they gave me a very handsome free pineapple. Definitely a repeat visit next year.

It's very much part of the appeal of the place for me that some people here do proper things, apart from selling me glasses of beer. I bought a dockers t-shirt for €5, which I don't think I would dare wear round here, but must dig out when I'm somewhere else and want to display my commitment to smashing capitalism (the front is quite sober, but the back has a big clenched fist).
catllar
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun 18 Sep 2016 00:31

Post by catllar »

Martyn, why do you want to "smash capitalism" or is that a bad question to ask??? I'm always interested to hear peoples' views.

Didn't know about the PV day, sounds like something to keep an eye out for next year - love PV, has a proper working character.
Life is not a rehearsal
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »

catllar wrote:Martyn, why do you want to "smash capitalism" or is that a bad question to ask??? I'm always interested to hear peoples' views.

Didn't know about the PV day, sounds like something to keep an eye out for next year - love PV, has a proper working character.
Because if I don't want to smash capitalism (or at least appear ready to do so), I'll never get the chance to wear the t shirt, and that would be €5 wasted. I bought it from the stand operated by the dockers' branch of the CGT. The front has a small symbol of a crane, with the words "dockers port-vendrais". The back, however, as I didn't realize till I got it home, has a large clenched fist smacking something. It is not entirely clear what the something is, but what else do the CGT want to smite?
catllar
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun 18 Sep 2016 00:31

Post by catllar »

Good question!

Perhaps they aren't smiting, but could they be kneading dough? Can we see a photo of the logo? Perhaps some ideas of suitable subjects might be forthcoming?? Lol

Are you arty? Perhaps you could overpaint it, or add a tasteful applique of some sort????
Life is not a rehearsal
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »

catllar wrote:Good question!

Perhaps they aren't smiting, but could they be kneading dough? Can we see a photo of the logo? Perhaps some ideas of suitable subjects might be forthcoming?? Lol

Are you arty? Perhaps you could overpaint it, or add a tasteful applique of some sort????
It's fine as it is: if all fails, I can hang it next to my poster of Che Guevara (circa 1969: I wanted one of Karl Marx (the famous photo where he looks incredibly shaggy), but they were out of stock: the girl behind the counter said "will the Marx Bros do?". In hindsight I should have said yes.)

I do still occasionally want to smash capitalism, or at least dent it a bit, so I'm sure it'll come in. Though as I said, probably not round here: I fear that my lack of credentials either as a docker or as a militant might be a bit too obvious. Anywhere else, you could pretend that it was ironic (or all about home bread making, as you say).
TiffanyYY

Post by TiffanyYY »

Good question!
Perhaps they aren't smiting, but could they be kneading dough? Can we see a photo of the logo? Perhaps some ideas of suitable subjects might be forthcoming??
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 2086
Joined: Sun 14 Apr 2013 14:37

Post by martyn94 »

TiffanyYY wrote:Good question!
Perhaps they aren't smiting, but could they be kneading dough? Can we see a photo of the logo? Perhaps some ideas of suitable subjects might be forthcoming??
Mods: this is junk.
Post Reply