Adding internet connection to canal plus box

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Adding internet connection to canal plus box

Post by Pearsonb »

As the title says, I want to add an Internet connection into my Canal Sat box. The router is not in the same room. The nearest socket is right across the room so I think that rules out sending a signal via the mains. Would a simple "ear" wifi receiver, like we used to use before computers had built in wifi, be sufficient or do I need something more sophisticated?

Thanks in advance to the knowledgable people here.

Pearson
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Adding internet connection to canal plus box

Post by russell »

Pearsonb wrote:The router is not in the same room. The nearest socket is right across the room so I think that rules out sending a signal via the mains.
I don't understand what you're saying. Both the router and the CanalSat box need a mains connection so why won't a TP-Link type of Ethernet connection work over the mains?

Russell.
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

Because the Canal Plus box is at the end of a chain of electrical extensions. Unless I am wrong, the internet receiver has to be the first item plugged into the socket. In which case, I would have to have a stonking long ethernet cable going round the side of my room.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

there are no problems with length of ethernet cables and they are cheap as chips.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I don't think it the cost more the ugliness of the cable. Hey, I could be wles may just be a woman thing. rong and loads of unsightly cab :lol:
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

as stated above.....there is already a (chain of) mains cable extensions in place.....so an ethernet cable would be pretty insignificant!!!! prettynesswise!!!
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I will withdraw into my realm of wifi. :roll:
Dylan
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

YES you can do exactly what you have suggested. Sky have supplied similar devices for Sky boxes for some time.

Something like this will do the trick http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B003D0W ... UTF8&psc=1.
Or

http://www.amazon.fr/WiFi-WLAN-Bridge-5 ... pd_cp_ce_1

These devices normally take their power from a USB port, I think the netgear has a separate power supply but I don't think the Vonets does

On a separate note, I would question the wisdom of a chain of power adapters

If you need any help, give me a shout
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

Thanks, Alan. I have just moved into my house and the electrics all need replacing ... As soon as I can afford it :-)

Before Wifi, I used to have ethernet cables running all round my office but, as Sue says, they are very unsightly.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

If you have more than one device to connect the you might look at the TP-Link WA890EA which will let you connect 4 wired devices to your WiFi. http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1 ... ds=Wa890ea

If you use a SmartDNS to access BBC iPlayer or other UK TV services then you can configure it on the TP-Link so that it works on all devices connected to it.

WiFi devices in France always have a very constrained WiFi performance in case you use them outdoors. TP-link devices generally work fine if they are told you are in the USA where significantly greater signal strength is permitted.