Orange TV, is a satellite connection essential?

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Orange TV, is a satellite connection essential?

Post by Owens88 »

I have followed various discussions about Satellites and IPTV and Catch-up TV with interest. I have now arrived in Vernet les Bains after leaving it last October with a working satellite TV but now 'Bad Signal' across all satellites.

I think that I read about 2e and 2 f etc. I seem to have two versions of 2e showing on my list of satellites along with hotbird eurobird and other. I can receive radio but no TV from any of the satellites.

q1) If I previously recieved from those others is there any reason (apart from somebody having pinched my satellite dish) that I should not be able to receive them now?

My backup plan was to use the IPTV provided with my Orange ADSL service but that says that to set it up it must be connected to a satellite connection.

q2) Which Sat or any Sat?

Thanks in advance.

John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Orange TV, is a satellite connection essential?

Post by Allan »

Owens88 wrote:I have followed various discussions about Satellites and IPTV and Catch-up TV with interest. I have now arrived in Vernet les Bains after leaving it last October with a working satellite TV but now 'Bad Signal' across all satellites.

I think that I read about 2e and 2 f etc. I seem to have two versions of 2e showing on my list of satellites along with hotbird eurobird and other. I can receive radio but no TV from any of the satellites.

q1) If I previously recieved from those others is there any reason (apart from somebody having pinched my satellite dish) that I should not be able to receive them now?
The transmissions are still there but from new satellites that focus their signals on the British Isles. To receive the signal in this region you need a substantially larger dish.
Owens88 wrote:

My backup plan was to use the IPTV provided with my Orange ADSL service but that says that to set it up it must be connected to a satellite connection.

q2) Which Sat or any Sat?

Thanks in advance.

John
Don't confuse IPTV provided by Orange with british IPTV received using an internet connection. If you have a decent internet connection then you should be able to watch IPTV. It doesn't require a satellite connection. Orange plays no part in the IPTV service.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Hi
Just as an update I did a re-scan (on 'satellite 2 freesat' ) and got some improved channels. I managed to watch a Jon Pertwee Dr.Who !

Orange TV is offered as part of a bundle along with the phone option and the internet connection. The booklet talks of needing to connect to satellite to set it up. In fact the young lad from Orange said so as well. I got an 'ethernet over power' network extender so I could do it. But all that was last year and my brain withers...

J
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Owens88 wrote:Hi
Just as an update I did a re-scan (on 'satellite 2 freesat' ) and got some improved channels. I managed to watch a Jon Pertwee Dr.Who !

Orange TV is offered as part of a bundle along with the phone option and the internet connection. The booklet talks of needing to connect to satellite to set it up. In fact the young lad from Orange said so as well. I got an 'ethernet over power' network extender so I could do it. But all that was last year and my brain withers...

J
Just to be clear, the TV offered by Orange is French TV with the odd English program, not British TV
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Hi Allan I know that, My renters are from all over the place.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Owens88 wrote:Hi Allan I know that, My renters are from all over the place.
Sorry for the confusion, we are all so used to talking about UK TV here that we forget that other countries have TV as well.

I believe that Orange can deliver IPTV via ADSL without the need for a satellite dish. I think some of their subscription channels may require a dish but I'm not certain.

If you have a decent internet connection, you should consider using Filmon with an Android box or stick.

Filmon has channels from UK ,USA, France, Germany, Italy and many other countries and is free ( or better with a subscription).

It is not mutually exclusive with Orange IPTV
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Thanks

Free is good.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk