Info and interesting facts on weather issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

weather information

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

Les Angles
Only one shade of grey today. The cloud is right down to the village and it is snowing heavily. I have not been out in the village but I know the snowploughs are trying their best to keep the main roads clear, our lane has been done twice since 6am but it has covered rapidly.Approx a foot+ has fallen overnight and this morning and is continuing to fall.
Not the best day to drive up. More snow is forecast over the next few days.
Snowchains guys. This is the stuff you need them for.
Phipplebert

Post by Phipplebert »

We ventured up today (up and back in a day again). It was the first time we have ever had to use chains. Lots of snow and lots of 'special' driving...people stopping in the road to put chains on etc!
I had my first (and probably last) ever snow boarding lesson....I think I'm going to feel that tomorrow!!!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

These posts are really helpful and much appreciated but does anyone know of a web site that gives reasonably up to date information on road conditions in the mountains?
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

Weather information

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

I don't know of any specific web site that gives up to date info on roads. One of the troubles is that it can change in half an hour. I once tried typing in Google "Condition of roads between Toulouse and Androrra" for our daugther and got a map with the closed ares because of avalanche risk, but I haven't so far found anything better.
Maybe the local tourist offices get an up to date report.
Today however is bright, sunny and glorious with approx afoot and a half of fresh snow. Roads look clear.Phipplebert I'm glad you had your chains.
Discombobulous
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Discombobulous »

http://www.dirso.fr/viabilitehivernale/ shows what the information panels have on them in real time and there is also a webcam just below mont Louis which is quite handy. The weather station at Olette rarely has any useful info on it!
EILEEN
Rank 2
Rank 2

real-time traffic

Post by EILEEN »

I find this web site good.
Not sure how much info it gives for "mountain roads"
http://www.v-traffic.fr/

Eileen
EILEEN