Fish & Chips

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Kross
Rank 0
Rank 0

Fish & Chips

Post by Kross »

hi
heard rumours that there will be a fish n chip van in Perpignan at lunchtimes
anyone know anymore
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi
Had a chat with a chap on the phone a few months ago who was sounding out the area for that possibility. Could be him. If I can find his email, I'll send him this. link and see if he can give us more details.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Obviously not the same but I read on the Rivesaltes Mairie website that 3 new restaurants are opening soon in the Carrefour shopping area.

They are KFC, Pizza Del Arte and Leon de Bruxelles.

The latter has opened in London and amongst other things sell Fish & Chips with Mushy Peas.

Their French menu has Colin Meuniere façon Fish & Frites. No mention of mushy peas though
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Do they do Moules Frites?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Santiago wrote:Do they do Moules Frites?
That's mostly what they do
kdfishetchips
Rank 0
Rank 0

KD Fish et Chips

Post by kdfishetchips »

Hi
I received a nice email from Kate at Anglophone direct about our fish and chip business and am happy to announce that KD Fish et Chips is starting up in Perpignan this week.
We will be based at the car wash in rue Paul Gauguin at lunchtimes three or 4 times a week.
Please see our website KDFishetChips.com for times and dates.
Look forward to serving you

KD
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Just had a look at the site as this is something I would go for now and then.
However, the location means I'll be unlikely to ever come.

It may work if the clientele is mainly French but something like 80% of Brits live south of Perpignan and crossing that bridge at lunchtime is a nightmare.

That area is also quite Arab, who may be less likely to go for British fast-food when they their own (arguably more interesting) street-food.

I realise it is very difficult choosing locations but if you are only doing Perpignan for the time being, I think there are better locations. I would suggest Saint Jean Pla de Corts or Le Boulou. They are fairly central and handy for the Peage.

I also think trying to coincide with weekly markets would be sensible.

You will know your market better than I but perhaps do some market research on the forum to suss out the best spots.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Santiago wrote:Just had a look at the site as this is something I would go for now and then.
However, the location means I'll be unlikely to ever come.

It may work if the clientele is mainly French but something like 80% of Brits live south of Perpignan and crossing that bridge at lunchtime is a nightmare.

That area is also quite Arab, who may be less likely to go for British fast-food when they their own (arguably more interesting) street-food.

I realise it is very difficult choosing locations but if you are only doing Perpignan for the time being, I think there are better locations. I would suggest Saint Jean Pla de Corts or Le Boulou. They are fairly central and handy for the Peage.

I also think trying to coincide with weekly markets would be sensible.

You will know your market better than I but perhaps do some market research on the forum to suss out the best spots.
I can't agree with you, if you think about sites for fish and chip vans in the UK, they are rarely in comfortable middle class areas. More often they are found in more densely populated area where there is a significant industrial presence.

It has been proved time and again that businesses don't succeed if they focus solely on expats. And having sampled what you describe as 'more interesting' food then I think Fish and Chips will be a welcome addition.

Being mobile, they can of course try different locations.

I wish them the best of luck and I'll be there today to sample the first batch.
Mrs H

Re: KD Fish et Chips

Post by Mrs H »

kdfishetchips wrote:Hi
I received a nice email from Kate at Anglophone direct about our fish and chip business and am happy to announce that KD Fish et Chips is starting up in Perpignan this week.
We will be based at the car wash in rue Paul Gauguin at lunchtimes three or 4 times a week.
Please see our website KDFishetChips.com for times and dates.
Look forward to serving you

KD
How about USAP match days?
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: KD Fish et Chips

Post by interiors66 »

How about USAP match days?[/quote]

Starting this Thursday evening, I think I will need something warm inside me for the match. :D
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I agree with Santiago that I feel south Perpignan would be a better location. My suggestion would be in the area of the Park and Ride car park just beyond the suicide roundabout new slip road. Its close to a good deal of the larger shopping outlets, in reach of most expats to the south and also close to the Arab Market.
Dylan
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Although I agree that you can't rely heavily on the expat market, the big difference is that Fish n Chips is working class grub in the UK but it isn't here. Here it's a foreign speciality. The pricing isn't low end either, at 10€ for a small cod and chips and a can of pop. That's why I think a busy market would work better than a carwash. Could be that I just want to try them and can't be bothered to go to Bas Vernet.

:)
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I'm not surprised that those living south of Perpignan think that would be a better location but they would wouldn't they.

Thought I'd try them today - I ordered in advance but they weren't ready when I got there. It turns out that they had had a control visit from the food police pretty well as soon as they had opened.

The poor girl was a bit flustered as they had made her turn everything off and the oil was only just coming up to temperature when I got there, I had to wait a few minutes but that was fine. Whilst waiting I watched a constant stream of cleaning and a really good standard of hygiene.

It really is like an English chip shop, complete with mushy peas, chip shop onions and pickled eggs (don't know what the French will make of them).

We had really nice haddock fillets , chips and mushy peas. For a first day it was a really good effort.

The young lady staffing the van was extremely pleasant and I wish her every success - I'll certainly be back there
Jo-Anne

Post by Jo-Anne »

"just beyond the suicide roundabout new slip road" ?? :roll:
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Very best of luck to them.

I do see Santiago's point about the ex pats tending to be outside Perpignan, but for it to work it needs a French clientele too so maybe the town centre is a good place for it. I know that Allan is a bit of a 'foodie' judging from past posts, so a thumbs up from him is good enough for me. I'll certainly give them a try on one of the ( rare) occasions I visit Perps.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Sorry Jo-Anne you must be new to the area as you are to the forum. I am talking about the large roundabout immediately after McDonalds coming from the direction of the cinema comlex with Auchan to the left and But, Castorama etc to the right. The slip road or underpass leading to the A9 and Prades etc is relatively new and at the next roundabout on your right you will find the Park and Ride, the area I am referring to. Is that clearer.
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Jo-Anne wrote:"just beyond the suicide roundabout new slip road" ?? :roll:
I think that is refering to thAuchan roundabout that has th tunnel under it, there is a schooljust before with a large free parking area for park and ride.

A little pricey for fish and chips, but even as a working class girl in uk I did not frequent the
Chippy....unless there was steak pud on offer :oops:

Good luck to them in their venture
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Jo-Anne

Post by Jo-Anne »

No I'm not new to the area and know it well having been there many times over the last few years I've lived here.

Saying that and back on topic, do they sell big fat pickled gherkins??
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Its a name given to it by many. Simply because before the construction of the underpass you risked your life everytime you used it. No offence was meant.
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

A working girl Opas??????? :oops: :lol:

Jo-Anne, many people used to refer to it with various names.... suicide r/b, kami kasi corner as it really felt like a matter of taking your life in your hands. Big improvement now, but I still find it difficult to shake of the trepidation as I approach it, or the relief when I've crossed it.
Last edited by Kate on Thu 14 Feb 2013 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I didn't know it was a Park-and-Ride? I thought it was a school car park. They could sell chips to the kids. :idea:
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Jo-Anne wrote:
Saying that and back on topic, do they sell big fat pickled gherkins??
Yes
http://www.kdfishetchips.com/Menu.html
Jo-Anne

Post by Jo-Anne »

Thanks for confirming that Allan!

Count me in! :P
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Im sure Santiago sometime last year someone posted a map of the Perpignan Park and Rides on the forum but I'm blowed if I can find it now!
Dylan
Jo-Anne

Post by Jo-Anne »

Sue I've sent you a PM
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Fish and Chips again - just as good as last week.

They seem committed to the area and the lady told me that they are opening a shop in Argeles for the summer.

She said they would like to do the villages but the Mairies weren't very co-operative - I don't know if their objection is food sales or that they just don't appreciate fish and chips.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

If you go again next week Allan ask them to post when and where it will be opening. Thank you.
Dylan
Jo-Anne

Post by Jo-Anne »

That probably means they'll be opening down at the plage with all the other fast food outlets, in the summer months.

If they can compete with them then great, but it's a time and place I always avoid at peak season. Which is a shame cause I love a kebab!

I think there is a demand, out of season, before the tourists arrive, for Fish and Chips. Maybe, if its a van, they could park up in the InterMarche car park?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Sue wrote:If you go again next week Allan ask them to post when and where it will be opening. Thank you.
They post locations and dates on their website

http://www.kdfishetchips.com/Find-Us.html
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Jo-Anne wrote:That probably means they'll be opening down at the plage with all the other fast food outlets, in the summer months.

If they can compete with them then great, but it's a time and place I always avoid at peak season. Which is a shame cause I love a kebab!
I think there is a demand, out of season, before the tourists arrive, for Fish and Chips. Maybe, if its a van, they could park up in the InterMarche car park?
Within Argeles, you can find a good kebab across from the GIFI. It's full at lunch time, with the local workers. Often you'll find my White Van parked with the others, having a nice kebab. I think that the name of the place is KD Kebab.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.