Le Jardin de Collioure

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Le Jardin de Collioure

Post by Allan »

Encouraged by the article on here about this newly opened restaurant we decided to try it for lunch last Sunday.

It is tucked away between the museum and Dominican Cave; it has its own car park but with space for only about 5 or six cars.

It is owned by the same people as Chez Pujol, the renowned fish restaurant in Port Vendres, this is evidenced by the menu which as might be expected is remarkably similar to Pujol's.

The service was generally very good and the staff friendly but annoyingly nobody came to take an order for apperitifs until they came for the food order. I hate it when restaurants do that.

The food was excellent and the portions very generous but sadly we left dissappointed, mostly because the place just didn't live up to the description in the article which was no doubt based on information provided by the owners.

We had in my mind a garden set in the ruins of an ancient monastery, what we got was a gravelled area enclosed by the walls of a ruined building that could have been anything - there was certainly no romance about the setting and a garden with virtually no plants?

The other area of dissappointment was in the fish selection; at Chez Pujol, they have a mini fish market with a great selection, here they just has 3 types of fish on offer one of which was sea bass for a minimum of 4 people. The article on here talked about 'the option to choose and weigh your own fish or cut of meat' but that wasn't what we found.

On balance we probably won't go back
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

It's a good review Allan. Good food is everywhere in the PO but the ambiance is very, very important.

Thanks

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Thanks for that Allan - it's good, interesting feedback. Yes, the article was written on info supplied by the owner BEFORE the building was finished. I haven't actually eaten there, but I have had a drink there (think I got the apero that you should have had! :lol: ) and I must admit that I really liked the renovation - found it attractive and comfortable and I thought old and new had been married together beautifully. Friends who I went with also thought it was very attractively renovated. As for plants.... might be more to come. it was all done and opened in a hurricaine, so cant believe it is totally finished.

As for the setting.....You old romantic you. How lovely to hear a man looking for a romantic setting. Lucky lady/gent who was your dining partner.

As for the fish - what a shame. As you say, Chez Pujol in PV has a great fish choice, and I rather assumed from the way the owner described the resto that this one would be even better. Let's hope it's teething problems that will be ironed out as time goes by.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

When I read the write-up about Jardin de Collioure it was obviously written by the owners in expectation of what they hoped to provide, whereas all the others in the "Eating Out Guide" are independent reviews based on visits.

Personally I think it's a dangerous step to allow restaurant owners to submit their own write-ups.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Actually Jon, it was written by me, as is everything in P-O Life that doesnt have someone else's name on. I would never allow a restaurant to write their own review - I am often daft but rarely stupid!! :roll: :roll: :lol:

The owner, Franck, has very limited to no english anyway so I would be fascinated to read a review written by him!! It was written after a long chat in which he described to me how he envisaged the restaurant once finished.

Personally, as mentioned above, I really liked the atmosphere. Of course, we all have different tastes and expectations> When I went, there were tables and a band out in the car part which was a one off. I think it's interesting that Allan says the food was excellent - but he wouldnt go there again. Another reminder that we all have different standards and criteria.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

To be honest the photos do look very appealing.
Benoit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Le Jardin de Collioure

Post by Benoit »

Went there twice during our recent summer holiday in Collioure and loved it. First visit was for a light dinner of great tapas (grilled calamari; grilled mushrooms; serrano ham + manchego); and the second evening a more formal family dinner with the three of us taking the set menu. Both times the food was excellent, and the service was prompt and friendly. We really enjoyed the setting, too, as it was quite a surprise to see such a large outdoor dining room. Our holiday apartment is just steps from the restaurant so I'm hoping to become "a regular". IMO, just the kind of place Collioure needed and more like it!
Tim and Karen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Le Jardin de Collioure

Post by Tim and Karen »

Benoit wrote:Went there twice during our recent summer holiday in Collioure and loved it. First visit was for a light dinner of great tapas (grilled calamari; grilled mushrooms; serrano ham + manchego); and the second evening a more formal family dinner with the three of us taking the set menu. Both times the food was excellent, and the service was prompt and friendly. We really enjoyed the setting, too, as it was quite a surprise to see such a large outdoor dining room. Our holiday apartment is just steps from the restaurant so I'm hoping to become "a regular". IMO, just the kind of place Collioure needed and more like it!
Must admit that we tried it and we're left a bit disappointed. It's not that it's a bad restaurant. The renovation was well done, even spectacular, with outdoor wood burning BBQ, smart bar area and large out door eating area. Nothing wrong with the food but we thought the menu a little dull. I think the problem is that the hype, setting, look and feel all suggest something more than is actually delivered. So all in all left feeling expectations not fully met. We'd recommend L'Amboise a little further down the road which does great Tapas.
Tim and Karen
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

http://www.lejardindecollioure.com

On their Fr/Eng website you can download the menu.

I went there one lunchtime recently with our guest, and we thought the food, service and ambiance to be very good. Presentation was most artistic.

Friendly (Spanish, I think) waiters/owners(?) spent time explaining the menu to diners, and telling about the renovation work. There is a small amount of parking on site, but at this time of year parking wasn't a problem anyway.

We would definitely go again, maybe on a Friday evening when there is live jazz.

Lunchtime menu 16.50€, evening 25€
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

A good deal at Le Jardin de Collioure from Groupon to sample their menu at a knock-down price

http://www.groupon.fr/deals/perpignan/J ... _101&a=531
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Thanks for info Sue.....just bought voucher....seems to good to be true....hope it isn't !!!!!
Nigel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Nigel »

Looks like it has now been withdrawn
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

not surpirised - 701 sold! Hope your deal is as good as it looks. We really enjoyed our lunch there about a month ago
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Hope it works out to be a good deal but always remember there is no such thing as a free lunch.

I went to Auberge du Cellier in Montner last week for lunch. It's midweek lunch 3-course menu is 19€ and the cuisine is approaching Michelin star. Based on that, 25€ at the Jardin de Collioure is expensive.

So, like supermarket offers at 50% off. You have to ask 50% off what and why are they doing it?

Anyway, Groupon looks an interesting concept. I like the look of the spa deal at Rennes les Bains.