Moules Catalan Recette ~ Le Chalut Version

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Moules Catalan Recette ~ Le Chalut Version

Post by blackduff »

I would like to find a good recipe for mussels Catalan. Le Chalut has a good version and I've eaten this often but trying to find a recipe is tough.

Does anyone have a good version which would be similar. The broth is almost a soup which can be drank when the mussels are gone.

Miammm! Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Recipe - Catalan Moules Marinières
Whether Moules Marinières originated in Catalonia is debatable - many consider it's origins were the west coast of France.

There are nearly as many variations in Catalan Moules Marinières as there are Catalan restaurants who jealously guard their own recipes. The following recipe is typical and a favourite but some ingredients can be changed. Try replacing half the wine with fish stock, the crème fraîche with cream, or add more garlic - develop your own Catalan Moules Marinières recipe!

This recipe serves four as a main course (use ¼ of the amounts if serving as a starter).

Flight
Searchcheap flightsFrom:

To:

Departing:

Returning:

under 12 under 2
Best offers:
Paris - Barcelona £28
Paris - Madrid £28
Paris - Bilbao £76
Paris - Alicante £48
Paris - Seville £49
Paris - Palma £33
Lyon - Barcelona £42
Paris - Valencia £28

Show Flights

Check all the flights from every UK airport to Barcelona & Girona

Serves 4 people Preparation & cooking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:

2 kilograms of live mussels
half bottle of cheap Spanish dry white wine
1 onion
4 shallots
2 cloves of garlic
30g butter
10cl (c1/2 cup) of crème fraîche
1/2 bundle of finely chopped parsley
salt and pepper
As an accompaniment:
Crusty bread.

Mussels are high in protein and low in fat & cholesterol. A 100 gram portion of cooked blue mussels contains 24g of protein but only 172 calories. It is rich in iron, calcium, manganese, phosphorous, selenium, zinc and vitamins A, B12 & C.

Directions:

· Carefully wash the mussels in salty water to help the mussels to clear the sand and grit. Scrub away any outside debris and remove the beard by pulling it towards the hinge. Discard any mussels that are damaged or are open (and do not close on tapping).
· Peel onions and cut into thin slices, melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the sliced onions and cook over medium/high heat for 4 minutes,
· Chop the shallots, garlic and add to the onions, cooking for a further 3 minutes.
· Add the white wine, garlic, then the mussels and parsley.
· Cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mussels are generally open.
· Discard any unopened shells, which indicate that they were not alive prior to cooking.
· Remove the mussels into a serving dish using a slotted spoon.
· Add the crème fraîche to the cooking sauce while stirring and immediately pour the mixture over the mussels.

The difference in colour of the meat of mussels has nothing to do with freshness or a difference in taste. The orange meat is found in the shell of a mature female mussel, whilst the paler meat mussels belong to males and young females.

Catalan Moules Marinières is traditionally served with chunks of fresh crusty bread, but in northern Europe fries are often served as an accompaniment instead.

More Catalan Recipes
Dylan
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Sue
As the man said: "Close but no Cigar". It looks to be nice too but it's a little thin of what I'm searching. I have sent a photo of the Le Chalut version direct to you. I don't know how to put this onto the forum.

Again, I like the recipe you posted. It will be put direct into my archives of Mussel Recipes From France.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

That's not Moules Catalanes! That's normal Moules Marinieres but using a "cheap Spanish white" instead of Muscadet :lol:

Moules Catalanes is made with a sauce of onions, garlic and diced mixed peppers and tomatoes.

as in this recipe....

http://www.marmiton.org/recettes/recett ... 12303.aspx
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29