TV with no dish possible

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

TV with no dish possible

Post by John & Elaine »

We are shortly moving into temporary accommodation for about 18 months which is only equipped with SFR for TV and no possibility of a UK dish. Can anyone tell me if there is a method of receiving at least a few of the principal UK channels other than news channels – and if so what box(es) need to be purchased?

Grateful for any advice available

John & Elaine
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

If you will have ADSL you can get a UK proxy IP adress from someone like IPortal and watch all the UK TV on demand, plus PAYG films from FilmOnFour and other sites. Better than satellite IMO. I can't be bothered with my dish anymore. There have been other threads about it on here if you search for them.

I should have pointed out that you need to use your computer to receive the programs. But if you have the right connections you can replay through the TV if necessary.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

I am also a fan of IPortal www.iportal.me Have used it for nearly 2 years and just watch every channel on the computer.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

..or you could try Expat Shield. Does the same job as iportal but it is subscription free. It is paid for with pop-up ads but these can be suppressed with Adblock Plus.

Russell.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: TV with no dish possible

Post by Allan »

John & Elaine wrote:We are shortly moving into temporary accommodation for about 18 months which is only equipped with SFR for TV and no possibility of a UK dish. Can anyone tell me if there is a method of receiving at least a few of the principal UK channels other than news channels – and if so what box(es) need to be purchased?

Grateful for any advice available

John & Elaine
If you have an internet connection, and a base in the UK or a friendly relative then you could also consider a Slingbox.

With Slingbox you can watch live TV relayed from somewhere else over the internet.