Mouse Help (computers not critters)

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Mouse Help (computers not critters)

Post by Kate »

My cordless mouse keeps losing its connection. I have changed the batteries (although it usually tells me when they are done) but the connection still keeps going on and off. (ie I lose my cursor - then it comes back. Any ideas please?
Merci in advance

PS
My computer (Mac) kindly tells me 'connection lost' and 'connected' - grrrrrrr I know Mac - thank you for telling me but why are you doing it??
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Anybody any ideas on this? Still doing it.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Silly question, its not the batteries in your keyboard? x
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

There are sixteen pages worth of suggestions in this thread

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/22 ... 0&tstart=0

Seems to be some thought that the size of replacement batteries can affect connectivity, or a mobile phone lying nearby, or making the mouse a favourite in Bluetooth !!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Thanks all. Have messed about with it and followed a few of the suggestions. Tried shoving paper under the batteries but no good - seems it's quite a common problem. Trying at the moment to make bluetooth favourite but struggling! Seems OK at the mo - probably feels sorry for me and is giving me a break! :roll:
mountaindweller
Rank 0
Rank 0

Mouse help

Post by mountaindweller »

I get the same problem,it usually corrects itself within a few minutes,or I take out the batteries,then replace them.As a last resort I change the batteries,or change to the trackpad for a while,until that has the same problem!I have come to the conclusion that it's a fault with the (Magic) mouse.However,following the reply from Helen I have made the mouse a favourite and will see what happens!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Merci.
Have also added to favourites - will let you know how it goes.
marinamen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Apple Magic Mouse

Post by marinamen »

Hi Kate,

I have had this mouse since last December. I find the best way to sort out the problem is as follows;
Switch on the mouse just before you power up. In the boot-up process your Mac, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air will latch on to the bluetooth from the mouse and will maintain your connection.
I have found that if you forget to do this and try to connect the Magic Mouse after the desktop has loaded, whether or not you establish a connection is a bit of a hit or miss affair.
This is why the MM only got 3 stars in reviews.
Good Luck!!!
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi Marinamen,
Have just seen your advice - must have missed it before, so thank you very much for that.

In fact, it has been OK since I added it to my favourites but has just started being naughty again.

If I understand you correctly, do you usually turn off your MM separately? I leave mine on all the time - it never actually occurred to me to turn it off. Would it make a difference to do this?

Thanks again for all advice - it has been really useful.
marinamen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by marinamen »

Turning off the MM will save on battery power as it is a bluetooth device and leaving it switched on will slowly drain the batteries as the device is searching for a bluetooth connection.
For best results switch on the MM just before you power up your Mac and your Mac will connect to the MM during the boot up process.
OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) is better at doing this than previous OS versions.
Try this out and if any further problems PM me.
Marinamen
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Merci. Will do.
Bon weekend