SFR/Neuf Customers in France, Can One of You Help!

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

RobertF
Rank 0
Rank 0

SFR/Neuf Customers in France, Can One of You Help!

Post by RobertF »

Hi Guys,

I've been coming to our family apartment in Antibes for almost 5 years now and have still not managed to come up with a decent broadband solution. After several years of internet cafes etc I signed up for a 3g key from Bouygues Telecom and it's expensive and very slow/unreliable.

There are several wireless networks available from my apartment, the one with the strongest signal is a SFR/NEUF customer, the "SFR Wifi Public" and "SFR Wifi Mobile" networks are available but to use them you need to obviously be a SFR customer.

I've tried to find the owner of this network but with all the apartment buildings around it's very hard to work out who exactly owns it (nobody replied to my notes I put up:)

I also looked into the FON option but again whoever owns this connection has not enabled it for this and I have no way of contacting them to request they do.

So my last resort is to try and find a current SFR customer that will let me pay them to use their mobile login details. As far as I know this is reasonably secure in that it does not give me access to anything else, I'd be happy to verify who I am with you also just to assume you I am genuine and not going to misuse this service.

I tend to be over here about 3-4 weeks of the year so paying for broadband for the year does not make sense. That said, I run an internet based business for a living so I need some kind of reliable service for the time I am here that works better than my current 3g setup.

If anyone would be willing to help me out with this I'd really appreciate it and would be happy to pay you €50-100 per year or whatever you think is reasonable for the privilege.

I'm here in Antibes till next Friday so if anyone were able to get in touch with be before then that would really help so I could test it while here.

Many Thanks,
Robert
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

SFR connection

Post by monsans »

In reply to your email, my clients only get access through WIFI.
Plus your detective work is alarming. So the answer is No.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

If you are willing to pay €100 a year then why not pay €10 a month for an SFR subscription which will give you unlimite access to their public Wifi sites
RobertF
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: SFR connection

Post by RobertF »

monsans wrote:In reply to your email, my clients only get access through WIFI.
Plus your detective work is alarming. So the answer is No.
Sorry to bother you/slightly scare you!

On a previous thread discussing a similar topic it seemed as though you had helped someone else with a similar situation so I thought you might have been willing to do the same.

With regards to SFR and the €10 a month route as a 3G+ customer they want to debit this from a French account each month which is not an option for as I don't have a bank account in my name here.

Thanks anyway for getting back to me on this.

As I said I don't think it poses any kind of security risk, I'm happy to prove who I am and that I have no intention of anything bad and pay someone for the use of the service.

Hopefully I'll find someone who is willing to help.
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Just to draw a line under this thread in case people still think such options are possible.

It cannot be done with the SFR 3G dongle contract.

You cannot even share your username and password with yourself! It will not get you access without the USB dongle.

Unless the dongle is attached to the computer you will not get internet access either 3G or SFR wifi.

The screen that pops up asking for username and password which is so teasing for everyone is for people who have SFR ADSL contracts. (So perhaps there is a route there if you have a friendly neighbour - but as Allan has said in other threads it would be much safer for them to convert their system into a FON hostspot than give out usernames and passwords)

It is dull post I know - but there seem to be quite a few casual visitor folk like myself on the hunt for cheap internet access when on holiday. And this is one good idea that won't work!

But the 10 euros a month is working brilliantly for me - much cheaper than the livebox contract.

Ian
cjwj
Rank 0
Rank 0

sfr hotspot access

Post by cjwj »

I was under the impression that SFR didn't allow access to their public wifi hot spots unless you were a fixed line adsl or mobile with data customer. Both these option I thought were way more per month than €10, hence the "swap" idea posted earlier.
So i wonder if you'd be kind enough to tell me what this €10 per month deal is called as it does sound like a real solution - i can't seem to find it on the SFR website
Thanks
cjwj
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

This is the SFR 3G/WiFi dongle:
http://www.sfr.fr/mobile/cles-pc-tablet ... av_cle_cle
I know it works because Ian demonstrated it to me!

An cheap alternative for occasional internet access via Hotspot is this:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/feature ... kype-wifi/

Personally I'm still hoping that some kind person with SFR broadband might give (? sell) me one of the 10 potential SFR email addresses that come with each domestic account. With this one can access SFR Hotspots while "out and about". Any offers?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

If I had the slightest clue about what you are talking, I'd give you them all. 8)
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

cjwj

Just to confirm the SFR deal I signed up to is this one:
http://www.sfr.fr/mobile/cles-pc-tablet ... vue=0002f9

paricularly the FORFAIT INTERNET AJUSTABLE account which looks to be on special offer at the moment.

I have used the 3G cle on several trips now and it has worked perfectly. The important thing to check is that you have a hotspot nearby, ie using your neighbours ADSL rather than your own meagre 3G allowance of 3hrs a month which can become expensive if you go over the limit.
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

Kate wrote:If I had the slightest clue about what you are talking, I'd give you them all. 8)
Sadly, my friend, you don't have SFR broadband at home so you can't help with this. You could, however, offer to give me a reference (by PM) to any other AD member who might be inclined to offer me a SFR email address.

(I would happily buy the 10-Euro-a-month deal from SFR but their software is not compatible with my lovely new Android Asus Epad.)
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Lovely man - can referee him as totally honest, and respectable and very useful if you happen to have an abscess in your mouth needing instant antibiotics, or are in need of a flake!
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Kate wrote:Lovely man - can referee him as totally honest, and respectable

I agree.. :lol:
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

Kate wrote:Lovely man - can referee him as totally honest, and respectable and very useful if you happen to have an abscess in your mouth needing instant antibiotics, or are in need of a flake!
Admitting that I help with your dental problems and then supply you with chocolate does not make me sound a sensible sort of chap !