Internet in rental properties

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Pichicuy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Internet in rental properties

Post by Pichicuy »

Hi
Is it possible to get wifi installed for guests in a rental property but without them having access to an outgoing phone line? How and who would people recommend as the best provider?

Thanks in advance.
pbb
Rank 2
Rank 2

Internet-only adsl connection

Post by pbb »

As I understand the situation in France, you are not obliged to have a conventional land-line and phone when you sign up for a new ADSL service, You should be able to opt for an internet-only service.

Of course, this does also mean that there will automatically be an internet phone capability available as well, but if there is no phone connected to your modem, it is unlikely that holiday makers will bring their own. You would need to confirm this yourself, but all new modems should come with WiFi built-in.

The four major ISPs in this area are: Orange, SFR, Free and Alice. I have heard bad things about all of them and it isn't possible to recommend any one as better than the others. All one can really say is that the equipment in use nowadays in the Exchanges, and the electronics in the modems are such that, once you are over any initial installation problems, you shouldn't have need to contact your ISP very much at all.

Godd luck
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

WIFI for RENTAL PROPERTIES

Post by monsans »

I provide wifi for a rental property through SFR.FR. They do not have use of a phone except for emergencies. I have a phone connected to SFR for full phone line use and internet connection but no landline. The WIFI is included in the monthly fee. The positive with SFR is that one can cancel at the drop of a hat this is not possible with Orange, France telecom etc. they require minimum 3 months notice or more.
Mrs H

Post by Mrs H »

If you have Alice broadband then you get a "free" additional telephone line so your guests can use it with no cost issues.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Mrs H wrote:If you have Alice broadband then you get a "free" additional telephone line so your guests can use it with no cost issues.
not all calls are free with Alice. for example, calls to Mobiles and certain Countries not on their 'Free List'.
Pichicuy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Pichicuy »

Thank you all for your replies. I opted for Orange but they can't disable outgoing calls. Maybe I'm paranoid but I wouldn't be comfortable with people being able to access the box and the possibility of them plugging their own phone in, unlikely as this may seem (it's not my bill!). The only solution according to them is to lock the box away.

On the plus side, they had the line active within 48 hours. They have been hopeless in the past but pleasantly surprised this time!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Pichicuy wrote:Thank you all for your replies. I opted for Orange but they can't disable outgoing calls. Maybe I'm paranoid but I wouldn't be comfortable with people being able to access the box and the possibility of them plugging their own phone in, unlikely as this may seem (it's not my bill!). The only solution according to them is to lock the box away.

On the plus side, they had the line active within 48 hours. They have been hopeless in the past but pleasantly surprised this time!
This doesn't sound right. Assuming you have a Livebox you can turn services on or off from the administration screen.

Try browsing to 192.168.1.1 this should open the admin screen of the Livebox - login with a password of admin

Then in the Livebox administration section you can change the language to English if you wish.

You should then be able to enable disable services. Remember to change the admin password or someone else that knows the default password could simply re-enable what you have disabled.