Lamb shanks!

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Deeb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lamb shanks!

Post by Deeb »

Can anybody tell me what lamb shanks are in french, I have a lovely recipie I want to cook up this weekend!
Thank you.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Souris d'agneau but look for correct spelling.

You might find at Picard for getting them frozen. The local butcher may have some too.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Deeb
This is a good recipe too. This is from Jamie Oliver.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb ... amb-shanks

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

Hi Lamb shanks are called Jarret d'agneau.

we have found in France they are very small compared to UK lamb shanks, I think they must have anorexic sheep or something here, not a lot of meat on them.
I found that buying in Spain there is a bit more meat on them (but still no where near as much as the UK) they are also cheaper in Spain than France.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

mand wrote:Hi Lamb shanks are called Jarret d'agneau.
we have found in France they are very small compared to UK lamb shanks, I think they must have anorexic sheep or something here, not a lot of meat on them.
I found that buying in Spain there is a bit more meat on them (but still no where near as much as the UK) they are also cheaper in Spain than France.
They are also called Souris d'agneau. Have a look at this site.
http://missdiane.canalblog.com/archives ... 54137.html

I think that the lamb shank are usually called souris in the local restaurants here. It's more poetic.

Here's another site about the two names (or even more).
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=148671

Picard, the frozen store, sells Souris d'agneau. Same for Metro (wholesale food store which provides to most restaurants in our area) which sells the Souris which are provided inside of the plastic sac which is boiled. You can find Souris d'agneau in Flowers in Argeles from time to time.

Blackduff
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

blackduff wrote:
mand wrote:Hi Lamb shanks are called Jarret d'agneau.
They are also called Souris d'agneau. Have a look at this site.
http://missdiane.canalblog.com/archives ... 54137.html

I think that the lamb shank are usually called souris in the local restaurants here. It's more poetic.

Here's another site about the two names (or even more).
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=148671

Picard, the frozen store, sells Souris d'agneau. Same for Metro (wholesale food store which provides to most restaurants in our area) which sells the Souris which are provided inside of the plastic sac which is boiled. You can find Souris d'agneau in Flowers in Argeles from time to time.

Blackduff
they could well call it that ....don't know about it being more poetic though since souris is Mouse....yuck
whenever we have bought lamb shanks from butchers both here and in Spain they have been called Jarret
Deeb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lamb shanks!

Post by Deeb »

Thanks for the replies...Will try souris and jarret when I go to the butcher and see how I get on. It is actually the Jamie Oliver recipie I am hoping to impress friends with on Friday it looks delicious. Fingers crossed!
Thanks a million for your help.
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Really gorgeous Lamb Shank on the menu at Pierreanne in Villalongue.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

malcolmcooper wrote:Really gorgeous Lamb Shank on the menu at Pierreanne in Villalongue.
By any chance, did you see the French name for the lamb shank on the menu. Peter and Ann are Belge and this will be fun to see what they say.

Blackduff
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Yes, it's on the menu as Souris d'agneau
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.