SFR Free Public WiFi ?

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

SFR Free Public WiFi ?

Post by redneckrover »

I seem to recall some discussion on this topic in the past so maybe my question was answered before.
Recently I was trying to look for free wifi availability in my apartment in Canet Plage. I got a very strong 5 bar signal titled "SFR Free Public WiFi"
When you click "Connect" you get the option to enter an eMail address and password.
Does anybody know the workings of this service ? eg Is it possible to join up for this service , how do you do it ? How much does it cost etc etc.

I suspect it may not be what it seems, I dont understand where the strong signal comes from.
I would appreciate some info.
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

It is what it seems but "SFR Free Public WiFi" is free for certain clients of SFR. The thread you want is:
Computers and All Things Techie.... Wireless Internet connection . Where much of this story is recorded.

I use this service connecting presumably to neighbours wifi because I signed up to 10 euros a month 3G usb dongle with SFR. When I was out last it all worked brilliantly but it does assume the neighbour continues to allow wifi access which cannot be assured. I'll be back in France in a few weeks so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will still be functioning.

I know the screen you are talking about that asks for username and password. I have no idea what this is for - it may be for access for other SFR clients as it is not used when you have the 3G dongle.
redneckrover
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by redneckrover »

Thanks Ian, the signal is very strong, it may from the restaurant downstairs, I will go in there next time and check if they have wifi for customers, I never tried it before as they dont advertise wifi.
I have noticed recently that nearly all the bars now have wifi, you just have to ask for the password.
It would be a bonus if I could access the resto wifi in the flat upstairs !!