Wireless Internet connection

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Ah it may not be that good a deal. When I run CC cleaner at the end of each day to delete all the c**p that the internet puts on you computer after a little surfing. It easily comes up with 50 mb - so if they charge 60 cents a MB this is going to get expensive.

I am beginning to understand where Alan is coming from that these 3G dongles are expensive. And the fact that no one has come forward to recommend one probably supports this premise.

By the way the bar in Palalda doen't offer wifi acces any more so that is another option that has disappeared.

Ian
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Helen,

How far apart are our homes. Alan says with his super antenna he can pick up connections 500m away. Could you leave your system on so we can get a connection from your wifi setup? We'll make it worth you while?

Ian
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Given there's not much in the way between my terrace and you in Palalda maybe it would work . Just one snag - I've never used wi-fi there. The modem just goes in to the telephone cable.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Helen wrote:Given there's not much in the way between my terrace and you in Palalda maybe it would work . Just one snag - I've never used wi-fi there. The modem just goes in to the telephone cable.
Helen,

Do you have broadband? If so wifi is easy to add.
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Allan,

While we are on the subject. I went into an electrical shop this afternoon because they had the SFR sign outside. I thought they might be able to elaborate on that 10 euros a month deal you mentioned to have a 3G cle but also have unlimited acces to SFR wifi.

He spoke good english and was adamant that I didn't need to buy it and that I had to go to the Amelie tourist office and they would give me the username and password to access the SFR wifi. It can't be that simple can it? If it was that easy why would anyone pay for broadband?

Ian
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Ian wrote:Allan,

While we are on the subject. I went into an electrical shop this afternoon because they had the SFR sign outside. I thought they might be able to elaborate on that 10 euros a month deal you mentioned to have a 3G cle but also have unlimited acces to SFR wifi.

He spoke good english and was adamant that I didn't need to buy it and that I had to go to the Amelie tourist office and they would give me the username and password to access the SFR wifi. It can't be that simple can it? If it was that easy why would anyone pay for broadband?

Ian
They would pay for broadband because they don't live next to a hotspot.

There is every chance the guy is right, I don't suppose that SFR would approve but usernames and passwords are often handed around. Most providers do nothing to prevent simultaneous users logging in.

Didn't someone else suggest you asked a friend for his credentials?
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Allan, yes I do have broadband - at a very dependable 8mgbs. I've just never felt the need to deploy the wi-fi option in the Amelie flat. It's so small, and there's usually just me in it, so I've always been more than happy to use the laptop in the one fixed spot. However, when I finally succumb to the ipad2 bug, that may all change!

Ian, did you get anywhere with a password from the tourist board? Actually, thinking about, with so many curistes coming to Amelie, maybe the town is happy to offer free wi-fi. Also, when I was researching hotspots in Amelie, the Lion D'Or hotel kept coming up, along with the campsite nearby. You're probably in line of site of both.
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Hi Helen,

Am off to the tourist office first thing tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.

Ian
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

From the Amelie tourist office.
There is no public wifi accessible system in Amelie.
There is a cyber base in the Place de Republique.
That's it!

3G infrastructure will be upgrded apparently in November this year but that's not partularly helpful unless prices come down.
Rivesaltes Johnny
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rivesaltes Johnny »

I have been reading back over this thread and I agree it is so frustrating... I have numerous wifi hotspots for neuf wifi and sfr around me but do you think I can find a way to log in to them?

I have just been told I need the telephone number of the person who has this form of wifi box and then a special password in order to access these hot spots.

Once again I will ask if there if there are any Forum members willing to share their details with me so I can access this type of wifi hotspot... I am fed up of having to always to go a MacDonalds to get a signal. I really do think the phone companies have missed a potential revenue earner here and could make it alot easier for all. I am happy to pay a small fee for the ability to access a wifi hotspot.

I too have BT Fon but it never seems to work and it no longer free. There seems to be no other way to connect to Hotspots. I even paid for International 3G connection last time I was in residence and this was no easier and was prohibitively expensive.

Any other ideas would be welcomed...
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Well at least I'm not the only one struggling with this.

Allan has very kindly guided me through the remaining options.

It is either the "Découverte” internet package that has been mentioned previously. There is an English speaking help line which I shall probably try tomorrow. I think all will depend on how practical it is to keep starting and suspending the service in time for holidays.

The other is the basic 3G package for 10 euros a month that comes with free SFR wifi. I get a reasonably good signal for SFR wifi in the flat and knowing the costs are fixed is in its favour. But signing up for 24 months with out proof it works is a worry.

If anyone following this thread has experience of SFR wifi Public please contact me.
monsans
Rank 4
Rank 4

SFR wifi connection

Post by monsans »

I have an SFR internet connection through the internet phone line but in the appartement downstairs, the rental clients use the wifi connection. I have done this now for approx. a year and there have been no problems at all.
As an internet server they have been the best. I have used france telecom, orange and then tele2 which was taken over by SFR. Hope this helps.
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

wireless internet connection

Post by tubs »

Ian, could you let me know how you get on with the English speaking helpline re the Decouverte package please? Possibly give me the telephone number too?
As previously mentioned we are going to try to get this in May when we are next down but if I can organise it over the phone before then, then so much the better.
Thanks and good luck!
gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gianni »

Good morning forum
what about this deal?
http://www.muniwireless.com/2009/01/26/ ... data-plan/
gianni
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

gianni wrote:Good morning forum
what about this deal?
http://www.muniwireless.com/2009/01/26/ ... data-plan/
Its just a pay as you go 3G connection but as I understand it, you do not get access to SFR's wifi hotspots so you lose the opportunity of free wifi if you happend to be next to a hotspot.

In Ian's case he lives next door to one so a subscription to 3G which he may never use, effectively gives him unlimited internet access at no extra cost
gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gianni »

...thanks Allan as I can see is a very complicated matter
gianni
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

I have phoned the English speaking help line today 0969363900. Option 1 is technical, Option 2 is Billing. The Billing dept changed me to decouverte tariff immediately so I have saved about 6 euros a month. Frakly I think I was on the decoverte tariff anyway since I only get download speeds of 1000 kbs. So France Telecom have been taking me to the cleaners for years I suspect.

Regarding the concept of activating/suspending the system as and when you are here I am none the wiser. The techy guy implied you just phone as and when a few days in advance of a change. But the billing dept who are the people you would have to communicate with say you need to write 3 weeks in advance to head office in triplicate, with birth certificate and blood samples and 7 affidavits from notaires from all continents on the planet, I exaggerate a tiny bit but you get the idea.

Whether this is just a ruse to discourage people from doing it I have no idea. We need someone who has done it/doing it to tell us what the process is.

So we have saved 6 euros a month which while OK not enough.. Next holiday I am going to explore the SFR wifi prospect via the 3G contract.

But enough computing grief, the sun is shining so we’re off out to enjoy it

To be continued…..
gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gianni »

...thanks Ian
here in london rain and wind grrrrrrr...
gianni
Eamon Avis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Eamon Avis »

Why not save yourself a lot of hassle and go to one of these places Ian and have a relaxing cup of coffee while you are there.

http://languedoc.angloinfo.com/af/277/l ... ccess.html
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Getting towards closure now for having wireless internet connection.

At the end of last holiday Allan had helped us with presenting us with various possibilities of having wifi at a cheaper cost than the livebox connection.

We had tried to reduce our broadband costs by moving to a different tariff etc through that English speaking helpline. None of that helped because they just sent loads of documents to the French address, which we didn’t know about so of course we continued to pay top price! (Why would they do that when they send all their other correspondence to us in the UK.) So am not really able to judge whether changing tariff and using our own modem would have been good for us – I still think it would only have saved a few euros.

Because we get a strong signal for SFR wifi in our apartment we have taken the plunge and signed up for 10euros a month for 2 years, (that 1/3 price of livebox), for 3G+ key and free SFR wifi.

A couple of very helpful young women in the SFR shop in Perpignan, (speaking English too which was good for techy French language idiots like us), sorted us out and did the installation. And it all appears to work wonderfully. Obviously we will use the free wifi bit the most but the 3G signal is very strong and works well despite being told 3G is not good in the Vallespir.

Hope to give the system a sound thrashing in the next couple of days and then go back to the Orange shop with the livebox and terminate that arrangement.

Not saying this will be a good option for anybody else since it relies on being close to a neighbour with good SFR wifi signal.

The FON system would have been the best but I went round all the FON hotspots published on the internet in Amelie but have yet to find one active, let alone accessible from the apartment. Perhaps that might change in the future.
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

can you explain ?

Post by rhys »

I am intrigued by what you write but don't understand it :

Are you saying that you can have a full internet connection via some sort of mobile 'phone type link with no reference at all to a fixed line 'phone ?

And that it costs only 10 E a month ??

If so is it restricted in terms of hours per month online ?

Or how else does it work?

All info gratefully received.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: can you explain ?

Post by Allan »

rhys wrote:I am intrigued by what you write but don't understand it :

Are you saying that you can have a full internet connection via some sort of mobile 'phone type link with no reference at all to a fixed line 'phone ?
And that it costs only 10 E a month ??

If so is it restricted in terms of hours per month online ?
Or how else does it work?

All info gratefully received.
Let me try and explain, SFR and Neuf have lots of hotspots in France. Ian lives near to one.

To access these you need to be an SFR Internet client with either broadband or a 3G dongle.

SFR do a pay as you go 3G dongle but this doesn't allow you to use the hotspots.

The minimum contract that doe give you access is €10 per month for 2 years

So with his subscription he can access hotspots for free. Or use the 3G service when away from a hotspot.

The 3G service is restricted to a few hours per month. The deal should work for Ian because he lives next to a hotspot.
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Thanks Allan for being clear and concise - and for all your help before.

rhys - you should also check out if there FON hotspots near your place in the PO because if they appear as available wifi connection on your computer and you are a BT customer in the UK then you could get wifi for free.
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

Would the 'FON' hotspots appear automatically on my computer ?

If so I don't have any.

Am currently with Plusnet in Uk but wd be willing to change to BT if it would get me a reciprocal hotspot here in Argel`es; however, as i say, no 'FON' connection appears on the screen.
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

You say ' The minimum contract that does give you access is E10 per month'

But is this a contract with NEUF or with SFR ?

And does it require a fixed line connection or can it be done thru a 3G dongle?

If one were within range of a hotspot would it appear automatically on the screen or does one have to be subscribed to check whether there is a viable hotspot within range ?
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

rhys wrote:Would the 'FON' hotspots appear automatically on my computer ?

If so I don't have any.

Am currently with Plusnet in Uk but wd be willing to change to BT if it would get me a reciprocal hotspot here in Argel`es; however, as i say, no 'FON' connection appears on the screen.
Yes if there are any - if you turn on Wifi and look at available networks then if you find one with FON in the name then it is a FON hotspot.

You can join FON by paying for a FON router (€39) which can be used in conjunction with any ISP - but you would be wasting your money if you can't see a hotspot.

FON claims lots of hotspots in Argeles - you can see them on a map here http://corp.fon.com/en/fonspots/

If you have a neighbour with SFR, persuade them to turn on FON, it costs them nothing, gives them access to the FON network and provides you with a hotspot.

Also try wandering around near your home, if you can find a signal nearby then a high gain antenna would probably give you a connection
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

rhys wrote:You say ' The minimum contract that does give you access is E10 per month'

But is this a contract with NEUF or with SFR ?

And does it require a fixed line connection or can it be done thru a 3G dongle?

If one were within range of a hotspot would it appear automatically on the screen or does one have to be subscribed to check whether there is a viable hotspot within range ?
That is a contract with SFR but I am not sure that they are not now the same company with common hotspots.
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rhys »

You say there are a lot of fonspots in Argel`es but I don't see any at all on that map.

Clicking on the link gives you a map of the world, then when you narrow it down to Argel`es there is a map of the area but no fonspots at all that I can detect.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

rhys wrote:You say there are a lot of fonspots in Argel`es but I don't see any at all on that map.

Clicking on the link gives you a map of the world, then when you narrow it down to Argel`es there is a map of the area but no fonspots at all that I can detect.
You need to zoom in.

PM your email address and I will send you the map
bernardh198
Rank 1
Rank 1

Which Provider is best in Amelie-les-Bains?

Post by bernardh198 »

I will be staying in Amelie-les-Bains for 6 weeks from mid-July.

My laptop has WiFi capability which I would like to use in my apartment [in Centre Ville] using a dongle from one of the big Internet providers using a Pay-As-You-Go plan. I come from Australia so I will only need the connection for the 6 weeks in Amelie.

Which of the 3 big providers has the best coverage in this area - or how do I find out? Any advice on which plan would suit my needs best would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bernard