Wireless Internet connection

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Wireless Internet connection

Post by gianni »

Hi
this year I'll bring with me my laptop. Can someone suggest the best wireless connection. I need it for one month only.
I'll be at barcares there is any particular problem with the connection in than area?
regards
Gianni
gianni
ryanm63
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ryanm63 »

Hi

There has been much said on this subject on the site.... my understanding of the outcome is.... don't bother! dongle pay as you go options are expensive... you'd be better off searching free wifi spots in the area... or as a last resort visit the local McDonnalds (which offer free internet access)
Regards

Malcolm
Anthea & Tim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anthea & Tim »

I have regularly used Orange wifi vouchers (see http://www.orange-wifi.com/fr/offre_wifi_pass.htm) a couple of 10 hour passes will last me a month when topped up with the occasional free wifi site. List of Orange hot spots is at http://www.orange-wifi.com/fr/recherche ... ancee.html, there seem to be a couple in Barcares.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

ryanm63 wrote:or as a last resort visit the local McDonnalds (which offer free internet access)
You don't even have to go in. It works in the car park!

Russell.
gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gianni »

Thanks to all for your suggestion but i need to use my laptop at home.
Regards
Gianni
gianni
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

I’d like to ressurrect this topic because although it crops up occasionally and perhaps much has been said on the subject -I still can’t find an answer.

Assumption 1
I’m on holiday – I don’t live in France all the time
Assumption 2
I would like to use wireless internet in the appartment, (not in McDonalds) or in a car park!
Assumption 3
I know I will have to pay money for a dongle – but I don’t want to sign up with a 12 or 24 month contract so that I’m paying when I’m not in France

How do you do it? Who offers a pay as you go option for visitors?

On the internet Bouygues Telecom seems to offer a cle 3G+ sans engagement but it can only be topped up with a French credit card. Why's that?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Ian
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Ian

All the major players (Orange, SFR, Bouygues) offer 3G dongles and as there is virtually no competition in France, they are all at roughly the same price.
Expect to pay around €39 for a dongle and then around €30 Euros for a GB of data.

More important than the price, is the coverage offered. It is pointless buying a 3G dongle from any provider if they have no service in the vicinity of your appartment. If you have a 3G phone you can check the coverage with that, otherwise you will have to enquire locally.

You might also check out if you have any friendly neighbours with connections you can piggy-back onto.

There are also more wi-fi hotspots than you think. I still own a house in England and when I am there I use a high gain antenna and have access to 6 different hotspots plus umpteen unsecured networks.

Lots of UK internet providers ( BT in particular) have reciprocal deals with european providers so depending on who you are with you may get free access.

I go to Barcares quite regularly so if you pm me with the location of your appartment I will see what there is in the vicinity.
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

internet connection

Post by tubs »

I understand that France Telecom/Orange do a Internet "Découverte" package that is 21€ a month and can be cancelled/suspended at any time. You have to already have a phone line installed and you can 'hire' the livebox for 3€ a month extra. We suspend our telephone line too when we are not there, which saves a few pennies. It's easy to do over the internet.

In May we are going to try to get this package Decouverte installed so on the basis that nothing is ever simple, watch this space!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: internet connection

Post by Allan »

tubs wrote:I understand that France Telecom/Orange do a Internet "Découverte" package that is 21€ a month and can be cancelled/suspended at any time. You have to already have a phone line installed and you can 'hire' the livebox for 3€ a month extra. We suspend our telephone line too when we are not there, which saves a few pennies. It's easy to do over the internet.

In May we are going to try to get this package Decouverte installed so on the basis that nothing is ever simple, watch this space!
I have this package as I can only get a 2MB connection at my house and so I am not paying for speed that I cannot get. I have never bothered to suspend but presumably you have to keep paying for the livebox, I can't imagine they would expect you to take it back and collect it again when you reactivate the service.

The hole question of internet access in holiday appartments seems really badly addressed. A decent broadband connection is more than adequate for a half a dozen appartments but it takes someone to organise it.
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Thanks for advice

I think I am making progress

Allan - I have sent you a pm
rhys
Rank 4
Rank 4

temporary internet access without a fixed 'phone line

Post by rhys »

If you are making progress on the issue please keep us informed - I suspect a lot of people have the same problem.

I would also like to know more about which internet providers in the UK have reciprocal arrangements with ISPs in France - I have never seen reference to this anywhere.

Do any dongle providers have reciprocs ?

Macdonald's etc is all very well but some of us would like if possible a bit of peace and quiet ( and to be out of glaring sunshine ) when internet using.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Have a look at

Www.btfon.com

In France sfr neuf has a similar tie up with fon.

I paid a one off €39 and get free Internet access in the UK

[/url]
gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gianni »

Here some orange deal which one is the best? has anyone used one of it? http://www.orange-wifi.com/fr/offre_wifi_pass.htm
Thanks
Gianni
gianni
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

gianni wrote:Here some orange deal which one is the best? has anyone used one of it? http://www.orange-wifi.com/fr/offre_wifi_pass.htm
Thanks
Gianni
Gianni

Don't confuse wifi access with 3G Internet

As far as I can make out, the deals shown are for connection to an orange wifi hotspot. Unless there is an orange hotspot next to your apartment then you will have to go and find one.

There are plenty of free hotspots like mcdonalds and Stars restaurant in Barcares which will give you the same access for the price of a coffee
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Making progress means I am starting to understand options – but I am not online wifi yet!.

Looks like there are loads of schemes, some you pay for some for free but you have to be near the relevant “Hot Spot” And the critical thing for me is that the “Hot Spot” works for me inside our home.

For example I may be already eligible through being a BT broadband customer in the UK through the “Fon” system but their nearest hot spot in Amelie is 500m or more away so how do you know if you can get a signal?

The Orange wifi pass looks great , but my little netbook doesn’t show up any Orange connections so I don’t think any of their hotspots are near enough.

Allan has kindly told me about a USB booster antenna which may help me pick up more connections.

The mostly likely scenarios are :

1. SFR public for which I can pick up a signal and get connected but I need a username and password to use it – Am off to Perpignan to find SFR shop and see what they say.

2. The nearby bar has free wifi, but I don’t seem to be able to see their signal, perhaps with the antenna I might be able to and offer them some euros for use each holiday.

3. Although the 3G dongle may be expensive - if I works I will give it a go if it is cheaper than landline and livebox.

Will keep you posted on progress

Ian
gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gianni »

gianni
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Well, after touring the three main operators in Perpignan I am wiser but nowhere nearer to getting online with wireless internet.

Bouygues Telecom. The most polite and informative place but unfortunately confessed that although 3G might work in Amelie les Bains their signal was very feeble there and so would not try and sell me it as I would probably be disappointed.

SFR. Also quite patient and pleasant , but they do not offer a service in Amelie, or like Bouygues signal too weak. Regarding wifi access they confirmed the SFR Public network is for their own clients so suggested I make friends with an SFR client and ask them for their username and password. Anyone out there want to be my friend??

Orange. Rather brusque, but assured me Orange 3G would work in Amelie. The USB dongle would cost about 70 euros then I think it is 8 euros a month to have it active on a pay as you go basis. But I got a little bit lost here on how you top it up although the implication was you buy something at supermarkets or tabacs.

That’s all I’ve found out at the moment. Orange 3G may work for me but just nervous about spending 70 euros on something that may or may not work.
gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gianni »

Hi Ian at them moment the BT Fon connection look the best here the hot spot map of amelie les bains http://maps.fon.com/
gianni
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Hi Gianni,

You will have to treat me as a wireless virgin! I am trying to work this stuff out.

I appear to have a BT FON account and on my wired internet I can confirm that.

The new little toy netbook is looking for connections and comes up with various Livebox and Neuf numbers and presume these are private as I can't connect through them.

The website http://maps.fon.com says there is a FON hotspot about 500 metres away but I presume because the netbook doesnt see a FON connection does that mean I am too far away? or that it will be called something else?.

I am tempted to go for a walk past the location on the map and see if I can get something to work! If it does it will confirm the system works but that our house is too far away.

Ian
gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gianni »

...eheheh I am like you Ian, wireless virgin, that why I am trying to follow any suggestion on the forum.
Bonne promenade anyway and let me know!
gianni
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

I went for a walk to near the hotspot on the map. There are no connections with FON in the name.

I tried the SFR WiFI PUBLIC with my FON username etc but that didn't work. I was hoping it would since SFR is one of the partners in the BT FON partnership. My insitnct feels that this should be the connection.

But I have made no progress. Currently working my way through BT and FON websites for help email address!!!
gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gianni »

...Ian from what I understand the hotspots are not fixed because belong to other BT Fon members that can move anywhere
gianni
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Tomorrow I am going to the local bar who claim to have wifi, then if I can get connected, see if I can do same with their connection from the house, it's only 50 metres line of sight. If it does I'll offer 10euros per holiday to use it, perhaps that will work!
Ian
gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gianni »

...ok good luck. Keep in touch
gianni
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

gianni wrote:Anyone know this deal? http://www.btfon.com/promos/btbjend?partner=btfonjoin
Thank you
I have the equivalent of this in France which gives me free Internet whenever I go to the UK and lots of free access in France

If however you are a bt Internet subscriber in the UK then you probably don't need it as all modern bt routers support fon, you just have to opt in
gianni
Rank 2
Rank 2

@Allan

Post by gianni »

Hi Allan I am not a BT internet subscriber, I have only the BT land line and AOL internet connection but I know that even if you are not a bt internet subscriber you can buy BT Fon and use it.
What about the one you are using in france?
thanks
gianni
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: @Allan

Post by Allan »

gianni wrote:Hi Allan I am not a BT internet subscriber, I have only the BT land line and AOL internet connection but I know that even if you are not a bt internet subscriber you can buy BT Fon and use it.
What about the one you are using in france?
thanks
I bought if from Fon

http://corp.fon.com/en/products/simpl/
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

I was browsing around looking for mobile wi-fi (more for UK than anywhere else) and came across this option

http://www.abroadband.com/en/GB/home

I've never heard of it and wondered if anyone had any experience of it?

h
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Hi Helen,

As usual you discover all the stuff we have missed. The bit I don't understand is the network.

If I buy their dongle how do I know it will work in Amelie - or am I missing something?

What is HSDPA? Or is it relevent, if their partners in France are Orange and Orange say their system is good in Amelie - then it will work?
Ian
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Gawd ... I can find stuff, but don't bank on me knowing what it is! That said, I think HSDPA is some kind of superfast data transmission techology. 3.5G?

From what little I've found out abroadband is very new to the marketplace and possibly an Austrian company
Found this link http://www.torrevieja.com/forums/genera ... dband.html which appears to show it's not quite as simple as it might seem.

But the concept sounds great and seems to do what you are looking for