Eye laser treatment

Health questions, information, advice, French health system, mutuels....

Moderator: Moderators

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

mand wrote: i am still toying with the idea if my sight should start failing in future years
I guess that's the general feeling of everyone I've spoken to,mand. Basically,if your eyesight is so bad that it's adversely affecting your life,and cannot be corrected by specs,then it's worth trying,as you've got nothing to lose.

Otherwise,it's not worth the risk.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I have worn glasses for various reasons since I was about 8 years old; wearing them do not bother me, I am not vein in any sense of the word, I do not colour my grey hair or wear makeup.
My interest in lens im^plants is this, my prescription is now so flaming expensive it seems silly not to have it done.
I have to buy expensive thinner lenses and because I cannot tollerate light also have to buy a transition, put this with a decent frame ( which is impossible to find as I have to have a realy small one.............hello kity is not a good look in a woman my age :wink: ) and then to be told that the outer lense is still going to be 7mm does not make me feel any better.

I agree it is something not to be taken lightly , beleive me I have been here about 3 years ago pondering about laser surgery , only to be now told I cannot have it!

I also realise that the poor eyesight i have is very precious and have always told my family that I would be happy for them to be donated if anything happens to me........as poor as they are, someone would be lucky to have them:

Please do not make Kate any more nervous than she must already be, she has done her homewoek I am sure.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

your eyes looks sparkly Opas.... :lol: :lol:
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

It's actually quite a difficult one and I really appreciate opinions both positive and negative - they help to give good balance.
Please don't stop - all opinions are constructive whether for or against, and so useful in helping me come to a final decision.

Opas - you are right. I AM nervous, and most especially not sure if I am dong the right thing. Thanks for understanding.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

I know exactly how your feeling..Image
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Image back
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

UUUGHH....no tongues please.

If the eyes on those yellow smiley things are an example of this surgeon's work,I'd leave well alone if I were you,Kate.
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

I had laser surgery to tack down a loose bit following a detached retina operation. Can't say I would recommend it if you had a choice, but standard corrective eye surgery may not be quite as severe.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Why wouldn't you recommend it Steve? (or Julie)
This is not actually laser surgery that I will be having but implants, similar to a cataract procedure. As far as I understand, there is no laser involved.
Don't worry about putting me off - I am already sh-t scared - but need the negative with the positive! :cry:
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

Kate wrote:Don't worry about putting me off - I am already sh-t scared - but need the negative with the positive! :cry:

Kate if your sight is that bad then why not have the operation on your worse eye first, My father has glaucoma and he would give his right arm to restore his sight.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Well, the thing is, it isn't really THAT bad. I can function without glasses for everything except reading, tho I have been known to mistake a bollard for a gendarme and pull up!
I don't absolutely NEED to have this done, more a question of 'would like to' as I will no longer need to wear glasses and that is very appealing.
Mand, I had thought of that but worried it would make me feel lopsided (seriously)
Last edited by Kate on Wed 02 Mar 2011 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

You have presumably tried contact lenses ? You've probably told me but my memory ...... :roll:
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Tried them once. Got them in after a lot of faffing and a very patient optician, but I couldn't get them out at home and had to go back to the opticians. It kind of put me off.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Eye laser

Post by Sue »

I must agree with Johns posting of 28th Feb which is exactly my take on this subject. Eyes are so vital I wouldnt mess with them unless absolutely necessary. How long ago did you try contacts and were they the hard or soft ones. Personally I would try and persevere with them rather than the more drastic method.
Dylan
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

I'm with Sue. Maybe be a bit more persistent. Having a problem with contact lenses on the first time of trying and giving up on them doesn't sound like the determination of the feisty Yorkshire lass I know. :wink:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

stigmatism, not possible for me I am afraid. Tried them once years ago when gas permeable first arrived! felt like I had a brick in my eye the whole time.
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I did try a few times but never felt comfortable with them.
These implants don't seem to be such a big deal - 15 - 20 mins each eye and its over and done with. The cost of glasses these days will soften the blow as the procedure will quickly pay for itself.
Would be interested to know how much it costs in Britain though.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Another thing to consider is that your eyesight may change over time. Can these implants be changed easily. If the cost of glasses concerns you you could look at http://www.glasses2you.co.uk/index.html for example. I agree that glasses at opticians here are a rip off.

Russell.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Have you ever looked at a pair of glasses in the optician and thought' now those are lovely' and then tried them on? :wink: I end up looking like a cross between Harry Potter and Dame edna!

seriously, If you can buy glasses online, then you do not have an 'eyesight issue' :roll: Mine are off the scale of online sites.
Debeneur.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Hi Russell
Really gave me food for thought so I emailed the docteur who says...
La correction par implantation multifocale crée une pseudo-accomodation qui est définitive. Comme le cristallin est retiré, il n'ya plus d'évolution de la presbytie. Le résultat visuel reste constant for decades. It won't be necessary to change the lenses.
Basically, the sight doesn't change as the crystalline lens is taken out. According to the dictionary that is 'a liquid filled lens in the eye able to change shape (accommodate) when looking at far away or closer objects.'
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

eye laser

Post by Sue »

I couldnt buy online because each eye requires a different strength lens. I bought my last lot of glassses on a fleeting vision visit to England in Vision Express. I had a very thorough test and two pairs of glasses one pair for reading indoors and the other with darkened lenses for reading out in the sun. The lot cost just over £100 which I thought very reasonable and took less than 48 hrs.
Dylan
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: eye laser

Post by russell »

Sue wrote:I couldnt buy online because each eye requires a different strength lens.
I presume that this was for ready made reading glasses. There a a number of suppliers of glasses on line who make them to your prescription. I bought a pair of varifocals with thin lens option for about £100.

Russell.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Kate wrote:Hi Russell
Really gave me food for thought so I emailed the docteur who says...
La correction par implantation multifocale crée une pseudo-accomodation qui est définitive. Comme le cristallin est retiré, il n'ya plus d'évolution de la presbytie. Le résultat visuel reste constant for decades. It won't be necessary to change the lenses.
Basically, the sight doesn't change as the crystalline lens is taken out. According to the dictionary that is 'a liquid filled lens in the eye able to change shape (accommodate) when looking at far away or closer objects.'
So, they don't just put an implant in to correct your sight but replace the lens entirely? Definitely a one way trip then.

Russell.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Ouch! it sounds really final when you put it like that! :shock:
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

laser

Post by Sue »

I think thats what we have been beating about the bush and trying to say Kate. Russell is quite right its a one way trip. At the end of the day though its only a trip which can be booked and taken by you!

No Russell my glasses werent off the shelf. I picked my frames from a pretty good selection and then because Vision Express have their own workshop at their shops they make up the lenses and the glasses are usually ready in 24 hrs but because of illness I had to wait 48hrs. Because of my age they through in the test for nothing which they are not meant to do because I am a resident here. That was 2 pairs of reading glasses one of which looks like sunglasses.
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Ha ha! You're all very sweet not wanting to spook me too much and I do appreciate it. The success rate though is in the high 90s and cant see why I would want to get back on the train of poor eyesight - as long as it works of course. The few people who I know who have had this done say that it has changed their life (for the better) and in one case, it is the best decision she has ever taken. Still wavering but kind of know I'm going to give it a go nevertheless.

Would add that the glasses I got in Leeds from Vision Express were half the price and twice the quality of the ones I have since bought in France.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

laser eye

Post by Sue »

Opticians in Carrefour Argeles ( on corner of entrance opposite end to Crescendo) currently have sun glasses reduced on a scale of 30%, 40% and 50% depending on style and certain ordinary glasses frames at a 50% reduction for a month only. I got a new pair of sunglasses for driving today for 25€ instead of 50€ and really pleased with them.
Dylan
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

When you have had it done, I hope you see that I am not as old as you thought I was.... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: laser

Post by russell »

Sue wrote:No Russell my glasses werent off the shelf. I picked my frames from a pretty good selection and then because Vision Express have their own workshop at their shops they make up the lenses and the glasses are usually ready in 24 hrs but because of illness I had to wait 48hrs. Because of my age they through in the test for nothing which they are not meant to do because I am a resident here. That was 2 pairs of reading glasses one of which looks like sunglasses.
Sorry Sue, if I didn't make myself clear. That's not what I meant. I was referring to the glasses you said you couldn't buy on line. There should be no problem having a different strength for each eye.

Russell.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

laser eye

Post by Sue »

Probably me Russell who misinterpreted. I assume I weould have to have them tested here and then order on line using my prescription. Thats another thing I think the testing here is rubbish. I was in and out within minutes and without barely being looked at. In England I had a really thorugh test which lasted ages.
Dylan