Sky plus etc

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Sky plus etc

Post by Kate »

I want to get a new sky box with sky plus etc.
What do I do please?
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

www.british-tv-in-france.co.uk

He may be able to help, I thought I posted this earlier, but not there... :roll:
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Sky plus etc

Post by Nigel and Karen »

Kate wrote:I want to get a new sky box with sky plus etc.
What do I do please?
Start a new thread on Anglophone-Direct.com or ask Kate (thats what we all do?).
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I've asked Kate and she doesn't know! She's very thick when it comes to this kind of thing. (Sorry Kate but I am allowed to insult you because you are me and I am you)

I'm going back to England in a few days and somebody told me a while ago (Dave in fact, of sky in France), what I needed to buy to bring back...... some box apparently that I can buy in Argos.... but I've forgotten :roll:
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I too would be very interested in this,Kate. I assume that you are talking about a system that enables to to digitally record programmes and watch later.

Also,do you have to subscribe to Sky for this? We don't have Sky,as ,in practice,you can get all the channels you want with a FTA system like the one we've got. But a facility to record and rewatch programmes would be very useful,not least to enable me to watch MOTD and the Football League Show at a civilised hour!

A year or so back,I was told that the ones you can buy in Argos are no good for me,and would need to get a Humax (?) one from Maplin or similar. But Maplin told me that they'd been stopped from selling them.

So,a final,definitive answer on this would be extremely helpful.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

do you want all the SKY channels, if so you have to subscribe on a UK address, dont say its for France.. :? or just your usual UK channels, if so then a digibox, or freeview etc, or get a Freesat recorder, all basic UK channels and can record.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

sky plus

Post by Sue »

I (my husband) wants an HD plus box. Sky is no good unless you subscribe, we do not. What we all need is a Freesat (NOT freeview) box. The one recommended by Montgolfiere is the Humax Foxsat HDR. They now do a 320 GB and a 500GB. I think for us a 320 weould be more than sufficient. The Argos price was around £250 but Amazon UK and some of the Hight Street stores have them at £214. Sorry if I sound a geek but over christmas I have spent hours trawling the internet for info and prices. I know there is at least one forum member who has one and perhaps could give us all his opinion.
Dylan
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Thanks for this info,ladies. No,like Sue,I'm not interested in Sky subs,as I find I can get all I need from the digi box. So,are you saying that what I need is a "Freesat" box ? And the one in Argos would do the trick ? Also,do you just plug it in yourself,as with those Freeview thingies in the UK ?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

sky plus

Post by Sue »

It is FREESAT you want. It requires a satellite dish and 2 cables from dish to box. If you only currently have a single LNB on your dish you will have to buy a multiple one. As I understand it one cable is for playing and one is for recording. If you go for an HD you are able to record both HD and SD programmes. You will also get free BBC and ITV HD programmes which you have to pay for on Sky. We are going to go for the Humax Foxsat which like I say is now available in all high street electrical stores.
Dylan
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

you need a freesat plus(or similar) box which just plugs in , however i believe you also need to change the "dnb"thingy on the end of your dish as i think you will need 2 cables running to the box . i am told amazon are as good as anyone else for these boxes as they deliver for asmall fee. also try ebay.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

John
This model should handle your needs. Not sure of the price on this site but once you decide, Amazon can deliver this to France.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/global/prod ... at-hdr.asp

I have the Humax Foxsat but without the recording ability. A Danish friend just visited the Humax place in London and bought what he wanted from them.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
tin knees
Rank 0
Rank 0

SKY PLUS ETC

Post by tin knees »

Just over a year ago we got fed up of paying Sky subs and bought a Humax Freesat recorder from Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-Digital-S ... 749&sr=1-2

It uses the same Satellite as Sky (Astra 2D) so there's no no need to change the position of your existing dish. You'll need 2 aerial input cables to plug into the back of the Humax so if you only have a single cable fit a double LNB to your dish for just a few Euros.

This unit works works every bit as well as a SKY plus box but you won't get SKY programmes. You do get all Freeview channels though including several HD channels if you have an HD ready TV. Picture quaity, particularly on HD, is brilliant & sports, nature programmes etc are great to watch & all totally free. It will record 2 different channels simultaneously if you wish (reason for 2 cables), has very clear programme guides & is very easy & reliable to install & use.

I don't think Amazon UK will deliver this to France & Amazon FR dont sell it as it's a UK Freesat machine so we had to buy it in the UK & bring it over but it's been a really good investment & has paid for itself already in unpaid SKY subs.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

sky plus

Post by Sue »

Would just point out the Freesat box shown by tin knees does not record so dont get excited by the price.
Dylan
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Thanks for that Tin Knees and BlackDuff. I have a tame address in the UK,so could easily get anything from Amazon sent there.

By "Double LNB" do you mean that you have to actually have two cables coming out of the dish,or with one cable could you just attach a "splitter" to it in our lounge?

But,as Sue points out...does this device actually enable you to record stuff,as this is what I'm really looking for ?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

sky plus

Post by Sue »

A Humax Freesat HDR is a machine that will show HD programmes and is also a recorder. As far as I am aware (but you will need to speak to a Sat Man) you cannot use a splitter you must have a double LNB (we had a quad) and run 2 cables from your dish to your box. I am only a woman but thinking about it logically you are running 2 programes to your telly at the same time if you are watching one and recording another. The one shown by tin knees does not record because it is only the basic player hence the price. The recorder is over £200.
Dylan
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

The one to which BD refers above seems to be the right thing,and,as you say,Sue is about 200 quid. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Come to think of it,we already have 2 cables coming out of our dish,as it pipes TV to another part of the house,and the tellies can see different programmes at the same time. So we should be OK;
tin knees
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tin knees »

Sorry I gave the wrong link. It should be

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-FOXSAT-HD ... _t=1501&pf_

John, it's possible to get 2, 4 or even 8 way LNB's & I think the cost of a 4 way plus cable is not much and would leave the TV in your other room still working (& give you the possibility of adding another Humax in time to come if you wanted). We used Expert in Le Boulou for the LNB help & they were very good. I think I remember you also recommending them some time ago for Dish / Aerial installations. Good luck !!
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Yes,TK, I've always been very satisfied with the service at Expert in LB. I assume you did not buy your Humax HDR from them,or do they have them in stock? Certainly the original Digital receiver for UK Tv was sourced from them,and it's still working superbly. I guess what I'm asking,is do they mind fitting stuff that you've not actually bought from them?
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Just to be clear, you can order this from Amazon and they will deliver to Sorede. I cannot remember the amount for delivery but it wasn't too dear.

I just found the paperwork. The Humax HD Freesat Receiver and they put Postage and Packing was £5.32. Changes this into Euros and it's 150.05€.

Since it's seldom record programs, I decided not to buy the Posh version.

There is a couple of types/sizes of hard drives. I would suggest go for the biggest.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
tin knees
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tin knees »

John, we've now got 2 Humax's both sourced from Amazon UK. I might be wrong but doubt if you can get them from France as they're designed to work with UK Freesat. I would guess there is something similar available in France for the French TNT equivalent but don't know if they would work with the UK transmissions.

Expert supplied & fitted a new 8way LNB plus additional cables (we needed 5 cables altogether as we also have an old SKY box in the Apartment we rent).

I did the the installation of the Humax's ie screwed the 2 aerial connections into the back, HDMI cable Humax to TV, plugged in to the mains & followed the easy on screen instructions, choosing the regional variation at the same time by adding a UK postcode. If I can do it anyone can !!
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

Come to think of it,we already have 2 cables coming out of our dish,as it pipes TV to another part of the house,and the tellies can see different programmes at the same time. So we should be OK;[/quote]

you need 2 cables going direct to the same box i believe john.
amazon will send out a humax freesat plus(hd) box direct to france. a friend has just received one and is very happy.
so you lnb will need to have 4 sockets for your needs john.
simple!!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I'm running 2 FoxSat HD recorders in France, each box needs 2 cables from the LNB (the receiver on the dish). You can still use the receiver with only one cable but with a reduced number of channels. If your dish is aligned for Sky then you can just plug your satellite leads into the FoxSat and it will work.

Satellite broadcasts have a horizontal or vertical polarity. The FoxSat can record 2 broadcasts simultaneously of either polarity, with only one cable they must both have the same polarity.

You can get a similar box for french Satellite TV made by Sagem, there seems to be only one on the market for HD, for french channels you need a differently aligned dish than you do for Sky. The quality of the box is poor and seems to hang regularly.

Another plus point of the Foxsat is that it supports the BBC - i-player but only if you have a VPN to the UK.

I bought the second Foxsat because I was fed up with SKY HD hanging or not recording properly.

The FoxSat is good when it works, it does however sometimes seem to forget about recordings it is supposed to make.

If anyone wants to see one in action then feel free send me a pm and pop round.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Hi Kate,
i was expecting your call yesterday afternoon!!!!

For 'subscription free' recording you require a Freesat HDR Receiver.
either a Humax HDR Approx £250, or a Sagem HDR which cost from £200. eg. Argos etc.
A good source for the Humax Foxsat HDR is their own Humax direct sales website where the offer Grade 'A' units at a good discount.

To be able to use these receivers correctly you require 2 cables from a multiple LNB from yopur dish to the Receiver. the LNB's come either in 2x, 4x or 8x depending on whether you want to run other boxes from the same dish.

These receivers will also allow access to BBC1 HD and ITV1 HD.

I would advise AGAINST trying to run these receivers from a single cable.ie. be patient and do not 'try them out' on your existing single cable before the correct cabling is installed. (They can sometimes be a problem to get to work on the double cable if they have been used on a single feed). Also i would suggest testint the unit in the Uk if possible before bringing out here as i have come accross the odd difficult unit.

To Run a Sky+ system a minimum £10 a month subscription is required, but the boxes are a lot cheaper!!

BTW. Freeview and Freesat are NOT the same thing and dont even carry the sdame channels!!!!!!! Do not be tempted to try and save money by purchasing any FreeView equipment. they wont work off a satellite dish and will only work off a UK TV Aerial in the UK!!!

For any further info please feel free to contact me 0468698376!!
www.british-tv-in-france.co.uk.
I do not supply the Freesat HDR boxes (but i do supply Freesat HD, Sky, Sky+ and Sky HD Digiboxes)
i am happy to install your own boxes and make the upgrade to the LNB, Cabling etc.

www.bigdishsat.com is a reliable supplier here in France for the Freesat HDR receivers.

My own reccomendation would be a Grade 'A' Humax rather than the Sagem.

Cheers
The Skyman
Last edited by montgolfiere on Fri 07 Jan 2011 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Have glazed over! Will ring you tomorrow :lol:
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Allan wrote:I'm running 2 FoxSat HD recorders in France, each box needs 2 cables from the LNB (the receiver on the dish). You can still use the receiver with only one cable but with a reduced number of channels. If your dish is aligned for Sky then you can just plug your satellite leads into the FoxSat and it will work.

Satellite broadcasts have a horizontal or vertical polarity. The FoxSat can record 2 broadcasts simultaneously of either polarity, with only one cable they must both have the same polarity.

You can get a similar box for french Satellite TV made by Sagem, there seems to be only one on the market for HD, for french channels you need a differently aligned dish than you do for Sky. The quality of the box is poor and seems to hang regularly.

Another plus point of the Foxsat is that it supports the BBC - i-player but only if you have a VPN to the UK.

I bought the second Foxsat because I was fed up with SKY HD hanging or not recording properly.

The FoxSat is good when it works, it does however sometimes seem to forget about recordings it is supposed to make.

If anyone wants to see one in action then feel free send me a pm and pop round.
Allan,I've had a few days to consider my next move on this and have been re-reading your very useful appraisal on the Fox Sat above,and have also been lucky enough to see Tin Knees' one in action at his house.

Richer Sounds in Norwich have them for £214 . Is that a good deal, if so would I be advised to go and get one there next time I'm in the UK ?

Also,apart from the addition of a new LNB/Cable,which would need to be done by an expert,once that infrastructure is in place,would it merely be a case of plugging the Fox Sat into the correct holes when I get back with it here from the UK ?!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

john wrote: Allan,I've had a few days to consider my next move on this and have been re-reading your very useful appraisal on the Fox Sat above,and have also been lucky enough to see Tin Knees' one in action at his house.

Richer Sounds in Norwich have them for £214 . Is that a good deal, if so would I be advised to go and get one there next time I'm in the UK ?

Also,apart from the addition of a new LNB/Cable,which would need to be done by an expert,once that infrastructure is in place,would it merely be a case of plugging the Fox Sat into the correct holes when I get back with it here from the UK ?!
John, they are advertised on the web at between £209 and £285, so £214 seems a decent deal. There is a new model due out with a bigger hard disk so the current model may be discounted because of this. We sometimes run out of disk space if we leave it recording when we visit England for any length of time but under normal circumstances the current disk size is more than adequate.

It really is as easy as just plugging it all together, you can even pretend to live in Norwich and get local TV programs.

Assuming you have an HD TV then you will need an HDMI cable, if you don't have one already then buy it in England as they seem much cheaper there.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Thanks for that Allan. as our old TV is on the way out we'll almost certainly be getting an HD one as part of this upgrading exercise,so an HDMI cable is,as you say,a must.

Yes,I'm familiar with the fact that you can get all the regional ITV and BBC programmes,though it was a little painful just watching Anglia News and their coverage of City's FAC defeat to Leyton Orient !!
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

I,m afraid that a lot of the reported advantage of HD is marketing hype aimed at parting you from your money. You will not see any difference unless you sit close to the screen.

Explanation: The resolving power of the human eye is about one minute of arc, ie., a sixtieth of a degree. This determines the distance at which you can just make out the difference between adjacent pixels.

Taking a 32 inch screen as an example, if it is showing a widescreen PAL signal you have to be closer to the screen than 8 ft to see the full resolution. If it is showing a 1080p HD signal you have to be closer than 4 ft to see the full resolution.

I know it's a matter of personal taste but I don't want to sit that close to the TV or have a screen so big that it dominates the living room. Of course it's a different matter if you have a room dedicated as a home cinema with a giant screen.

Russell.

PS. I do have an HD TV but haven't bothered with SKYHD, Blue-Ray etc.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

What you say may well be the case,Russell. I've seen HD on TV's in showrooms and a few people's houses, and whilst it's OK,it's not worth the price premium that's been charged up till recently. The same applies to 3D (the latest gimmick).

BUT..... it seems that pretty much any TV you get now has HD capability built in as standard,to the extent that it's hard to buy one without ( try buying a car that doesn't have a CD player built in nowadays !!). Prices do seem to have come down dramatically,particularly for LED models.

In any case,the whole point of my reason for changing is far more to do with getting recording capability than anything involving Hi Definition pictures.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

russell wrote:I,m afraid that a lot of the reported advantage of HD is marketing hype aimed at parting you from your money. You will not see any difference unless you sit close to the screen.

Explanation: The resolving power of the human eye is about one minute of arc, ie., a sixtieth of a degree. This determines the distance at which you can just make out the difference between adjacent pixels.

Taking a 32 inch screen as an example, if it is showing a widescreen PAL signal you have to be closer to the screen than 8 ft to see the full resolution. If it is showing a 1080p HD signal you have to be closer than 4 ft to see the full resolution.

I know it's a matter of personal taste but I don't want to sit that close to the TV or have a screen so big that it dominates the living room. Of course it's a different matter if you have a room dedicated as a home cinema with a giant screen.

Russell.

PS. I do have an HD TV but haven't bothered with SKYHD, Blue-Ray etc.
Sorry Russell, I just can't agree with you.

Certain programs may not benefit that much from HD but try watching a football match, with HD you can recognise the players and see considerable detail, switch back to SD and you get a vague blur.

Part of the reason for this is that with digital television some standard definition channels are highly compressed when broadcast and so the quality you receive is even less than a non-HD TV can display

Anyone with SKY HD or FreeSat who cannot perceive the difference should invest in some decent spectacles