tax and auto-entrepreneur status

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

overtaxed
Rank 0
Rank 0

tax and auto-entrepreneur status

Post by overtaxed »

I have been registered as an auto-entrepreneur since November 2009. I believed that I would only pay any tax if I had earned something. I have been making my quarterly returns since registering, but in fact only earned 300 euros in the first month (in fact I registered so that I could take on the work legally). Since then I have always had to send in nil returns, because I earned nothing.

For the first time yesterday I received a tax demand for 321 euros, on my premises, which is my home address. Not only is this 21 euros more than I have ever earned, but flies in the face of the spirit of being registered as auto-entrepreneur, which was to encourage the likes of me to undertake small amounts of work without the prohibitive set-up costs.

I have tried all day to get the tax office by phone, and will tomorrow go there in person if I don't get a reply.

I'm wondering if any autoentrepreneurs out there have had a similar demand, and if anyone with knowledge has any advice for me.

Grateful for all sensible replies
Last edited by overtaxed on Thu 18 Nov 2010 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

:cry:
Last edited by thumbelina on Mon 20 Jun 2011 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
overtaxed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by overtaxed »

Thanks. I've posted on another thread too. I'm going to de-register as a-e. I'm also going to the tax office tomorrow.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Are you sure this bill is legitimate, ie , not a scam!

I had read somewhere, perhaps via an email , that there was some kind of a scam going round addressing auto entrepeneurs.

Look close at the logo.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
overtaxed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by overtaxed »

interesting, but it is real I fear
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

See below - this was received by a member in the FAB PO Assoication - English speaking business network in this area and has been emailed to all its members as a warning:

I had one of those strange coincidences today- I got a bill in the post from RSI for €299. I know of the organisation, so assumed it was real- but put aside as I didn't think I should be paying charges as an AE just yet.

Anyway, literally 10 minutes after opening it I got an e-newsletter from a business forum I joined (startbusinessinfrance.com)- warning about bogus companies using the acronym RSI to get money out people- heres the link http://www.startbusinessinfrance.com/be ... i-invoices

I hope this helps and if you want to join the network please email info@domainetreloar.com
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
overtaxed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by overtaxed »

Back to my little problem

It has been confirmed by the impots that the amount due must be paid. I have ben allowed to pay in instalments without penalty. It stems from a 'choice' I made in ignorance when applying for a-e status. (It was stressed that I had not made an 'erreur' but a 'choix')

The advice is to go and get the help readily available from the impots before embarking on a-e registration.

I am winding up my business before the end of the year, as I can't reverse the 'choice' I made, and the tax will be imposed again for 2011 after December 31.

I will be able to re-register in the future, wiser, if I want to.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

So what choice did you make for your tax status?

this could make a difference to others thinking of startin up under the AE system.
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

That is outrageous. Do I understand you rightly, that you earned only 300€ but have had to pay 321 € in charges. I cant see how that can be right, whatever 'choice' you made.
overtaxed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by overtaxed »

The tax has no connection whatever, I'm told, with the amount earned. It is a tax on the premises registered, and based on the rentable value of the premises. The 'choice' I made was to tick 'non' instead of 'oui' in a box worded 'Auto entrepreneur : Option pour le versement liberatoire de l'impot sur le revenu calcule sur le chiffre d'affaires ou les recettes'. I still don't really understand what it means, and should have hesitated before 'choosing'. This was the same document requiring me to give details of my address.

I'm extremely dejected about all this, and am not willing to give anyone any advice, except that they should ask for help professionally.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

i wonder if 'overtaxed' is still looking in on the forum?

could this be what he is refering to:

http://www.connexionfrance.com/Small-Bu ... ticle.html
Debeneur.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Let's hope the changes go through. This sort of unfair tax just encourages more people to work "on the black".

Russell.
overtaxed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by overtaxed »

UPDATE

Well, I de-registered from my auto-entrepreneur status to avoid such tax being re-applied for 2011 (at the advice of the tax inspector).

I read on the Fédération des Autoentrepreneurs site that the decision to repay the tax had been made, so I called to see the tax inspector about 2 weeks ago to see if I could get my refund. But to no avail. I was told that the Fédération is not the State , that the law hadn't been passed, and that the tax office had no notice instructing them to make repayments.

I have just had a phone call this morning asking me to call in to the tax-office for my refund. Result!
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

:cry:
Last edited by thumbelina on Mon 20 Jun 2011 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Even more worrying is the news that the French govmnt is seriously considering implementing capital gains tax on primary residences in France!!

Follow this carefully!!!!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
overtaxed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by overtaxed »

Been to the tax office, and my refund is under way. The inspector-man I saw on this visit told me that it was zeal on the part of his senior colleague that had caused this tax to be applied, and that she had made an 'erreur'. Haha. the same lady he was talking about was the one who told ME back in December that I hadn't made an 'erreur' , I had made a 'choix'. I don't suppose it was very endearing of me, but I DID mention this to him.

He also suggested I re-register as auto-entrepreneur - 'eez 'avin a larf.
overtaxed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by overtaxed »

UPDATE - pour encourager les autres

My refund cheque for the full amount of CFE tax paid has arrived in today's post. A result! Of sorts, as it's made out in my maiden-name. I'm hoping the bank will accept this. I shall go in to the bank armed (!) with my birth and marriage certs. Was it beyond the whit of the impots to repay me in the same way as they took the money - by direct transfer? Yes, I know it's a way of hanging on to my money for just a bit longer. hooray and grrrr, in that order!

I've had enough of trying to work legally so have retired gracefully.