international TV access on PC

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Ellen Hall
Rank 0
Rank 0

international TV access on PC

Post by Ellen Hall »

Does anyone know how to get free to international TV stations (I am thinking Eurosport and Wimbledon) on a PC? eh
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

There are loads of IPlayer sources. None of them are free. You can sign up with IPortal for 50€ a year which will give you access to loads of stuff. If 50€ is too much I don't know what else to suggest.
Last edited by Santiago on Sun 29 Aug 2010 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
taniyadennison
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by taniyadennison »

If it's sport you're after the following site is an excellent source of live streaming:

http://www.sport-streaming.net/
Taniya
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

May be in the U.K.
But will it work down here via a French Link....?????
Paul.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
taniyadennison
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by taniyadennison »

Yes - we were watching both the Womens Rugby World Cup & the Tri Nations yesterday on it. The site provides links to other sites who are streaming events - some live, some recordings & some better than others.
Taniya
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

If you have a TV in the UK with a SlingBox, you can access, via the internet, on your laptop (or on through to your TV) in France whatever is showing on your UK TV. You can also change channels remotely via your laptop. We have accessed our UK VirginMedia package this way.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

That sounds really good.
What is a Slingbox please?
Never heard of it.
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

Heres a link for the slingbox,

http://www.slingmedia.com/
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

lonesome paddy wrote:Heres a link for the slingbox,

http://www.slingmedia.com/
Thanks - will check on that.

Your name is sooo sad. Think I'm going to cry.
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

You could also google 'Wikipedia Slingbox' for lots of info on the product. My techie brother-in-law set this up for us and it works a treat.

We just click on the SlingPlayer icon on our laptop (a Macbook) in France and it then gets and displays the TV stream from our UK TV in less than a minute via the internet. We can then change the channel for that stream to anything within our UK VirginMedia package by using, on the laptop, an on-screen lookalike version of our VM remote in the UK. in effect we can relay the full UK package on to France for no cost other than the existing French broadband subscription and the one-off cost of the SlingBox - though we haven't yet got hold of the cable we need to connect our laptop to our French TV so that we can watch the UK programmes on our French TV rather than the laptop.

The system works for us - I'm not sure why it hasn't caught on yet.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I can vouch for Slingbox as well, amongst other things my company installs computer technology on ocean going yachts. Slingbox is one of the systems we use to provide UK television. It may not be big yet in the UK, but worldwide it is pretty widely used.

If you have Sky in the UK or a friendly relative with it, then another option is Sky Multiroom which effectively provides a full Sky package for £10 a month.

The second room just happens to be in France