Valmanya Museum

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Valmanya Museum

Post by collioure_bee »

I know they have a small museum there dedicated to the events during the war there, but can't find opening times. Anyone know them?

Also need detailed directions to the camp at Rivesaltes as I don't know that end of Perpignan. Cheers.
"She knew the price of everything, but the value of nothing"

If it's hard to do, it's not worth doing.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Valmanya Museum

Post by Sav »

collioure_bee wrote: Also need detailed directions to the camp at Rivesaltes as I don't know that end of Perpignan. Cheers.
Its not difficult to find
Quote: route d'Opoul D5 de l'A9 prendre sortie Perpignan nord puis direction Opoul-Tautavel entreprise Méditerranée puis direction musée mémorial.
http://www.culture.fr/fr/recherche_deta ... tes%20camp

Its at the end of an industrial estate if i remember correctly
If you see the wind turbines, then you have arrived.
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

Thanks sav, top stuff as usual.

taniyadennison
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by taniyadennison »

Colioure-Bee,

The museum in Valmanya doesn't have any dedicated opening times. The key is held in the Mairie, but the Mayor is usually only around at weekends. The other way to get it is to go to the house opposite the boules square (the one with the gas bottles round the side) and ask Mme Reinne - she also holds the key.

It's a fascinating little (& I mean little) museum, particularly if you are interested in the war-time history of the village. The Croix-du-Guerre awarded to the Commune is there - beautifully displayed in a €2 clip frame! There are also some interesting displays about the iron-ore mining in the area.

Enjoy.
Taniya
taniyadennison
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by taniyadennison »

PS While you're there don't forget to visit the small War Memorial dug out of the rocks by the side of the road - on your RHS as you go out of the village up towards Col Palomere.
Last edited by taniyadennison on Fri 27 Aug 2010 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
Taniya
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

Thank you so much Taniya. I used to deliver parcels there so know how quiet the place is, but my brother who is visiting and myself are both into WWII history so a visit is certainly on the cards. Thanks for your information.

thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Whilst you're at it, you should try the museum at St Laurent - more about the Retirada than WW2 but equally fascinating
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Valmanya Museum

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Sav wrote:
collioure_bee wrote: Also need detailed directions to the camp at Rivesaltes as I don't know that end of Perpignan. Cheers.
Its not difficult to find
Quote: route d'Opoul D5 de l'A9 prendre sortie Perpignan nord puis direction Opoul-Tautavel entreprise Méditerranée puis direction musée mémorial.
http://www.culture.fr/fr/recherche_deta ... tes%20camp

Its at the end of an industrial estate if i remember correctly
If you see the wind turbines, then you have arrived.
You can't miss it as you will see it as you are driving along, I feel sad everytime we drive past it.. :(
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.