pollen count

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

pollen count

Post by polremy »

Is it high at the moment?
My eyes are streaming and I have swollen glands. (no funny comments please)
I thought this was the wrong month for hayfever and, anyway, I've never had it before as far as I know.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: pollen count

Post by Sav »

polremy wrote: I thought this was the wrong month for hayfever
This might help polremy ;)
http://www.pollens.fr/les-bulletins/bul ... inique.php

Cheers Sav :)
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Thanks, Sav.
That was one of the sites I looked at earlier and it seems to show a very low risk in June.
Don't understand it at all.
Mr.PR says he has itchy eyes too but then I think it's just a case of keeping up with the Polremies.
Honestly, I can hardly see and people think I'm crying as I keep wiping my eyes.
graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by graham34 »

With a grass pollen allergy I normally suffer in May here. This year has been longer and much worse, it only really subsided this week. All fuelled by wet and cooler periods this spring I suspect.

Sav - the site seems a year out of date (previsions for 2009.......).
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

graham34 wrote: the site seems a year out of date (previsions for 2009.......).
Hi graham :)
The main advisory is recent
But if you go here
https://www.supagro.fr/pollen/cartopoll ... ions_J.php
I don't seem to be able to go to a specific town though.

Cheers Sav :)
danneva
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by danneva »

Grass pollen is typically the main cause of late spring and early summer allergies. Grass pollen is highest at these times, although grass may cause allergies through much of the year if someone is mowing the lawn or lying in the grass. Contact with the grass can result in itching and hives in people who are allergic to grass pollen, this is called urticaria. Grasses can be divided into two major classes, northern and southern grasses. Northern grasses are common in colder climates, and include timothy, rye, orchard, sweet vernal, red top and blue grasses. Southern grasses are present in warmer climates, with Bermuda grass being the major grass in the category.
Last edited by danneva on Mon 26 Jul 2010 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

That's very interesting and informative,Daneva. I seem to remember reading that grasses of one sort or another were by far the most numerous plant form on the planet.

Where does tree pollen fit into the scenario round here.? I find that it's that that afffects me,though my doctor told me that most (inc me) are not allergic, as such, to it. It's just an irritant,much in the same way as if you breathe in pepper or chilli. The real nuisance when we lived in UK was oil seed rape,which was a bit of a devil in May/June as seemingly half of East Anglia was planted with it!
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Thanks for that Thumbs. I see chène is one of the most irritant,and that's all there seems to be in these parts! To be fair,it does seem to be getting better,year on year as I live here,so perhaps I'm gaining some sort of "immunity".
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

A homeopathist once told me that one of the best ways to build an immunity to the local pollen, is to eat at least one spoonful of honey a day - honey which is produced as locally as possible to where you live.