Mozzies

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Mozzies

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

..I have mentioned this before, but the Mozzies are bloody eating me alive..for those of you that know me, my bedroom is a war trap for them but they still manage to find me. I have plug ins, mozzie spray (before bedtime) air con unit on as they don't like cold, fan on ALL night as they don't like turbulance, I have sprays, creams that I put on, and a citronella thingy hanging from my bed....I have tried the nets at the window made no difference, I am going to get some Vitamin B as been told that helps along with some antihistamine , although I haven't tried the nets over your bed...I feel as tho I am a celebrity get me out of here on a bush tucker trial.. :roll: :roll: are there any do's and dont's that may be attracting them..

Help needed as I bruise after a bite and I don't want to look like a dot-to-dot on my daughters wedding day in September...
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

We spray our bedroom every morning and then keep the door and window shut until we go to bed.
At least that way we are fairly sure that any in the room will be dead and no more can get in overnight.
I'm usually the first one to get bitten - well, always the first one actually - but don't seem to have suffered over the past few weeks.
Perhaps it's to do with where your house is situated.
What I thought was an old bite which had become infected was in fact a sebaceous cyst according to the doctor.
Still hurts like heck though and needs a visit to the nurse every 48 hours at the moment for further torture.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Mozzies

Post by opas »

Marguerite & Steve wrote:..I have mentioned this before, but the Mozzies are bloody eating me alive..for those of you that know me, my bedroom is a war trap for them but they still manage to find me. I have plug ins, mozzie spray (before bedtime) air con unit on as they don't like cold, fan on ALL night as they don't like turbulance, I have sprays, creams that I put on, and a citronella thingy hanging from my bed....I have tried the nets at the window made no difference, I am going to get some Vitamin B as been told that helps along with some antihistamine , although I haven't tried the nets over your bed...I feel as tho I am a celebrity get me out of here on a bush tucker trial.. :roll: :roll: are there any do's and dont's that may be attracting them..

Help needed as I bruise after a bite and I don't want to look like a dot-to-dot on my daughters wedding day in September...

You need to eat Marmite! :wink: and don`t use flowery smelling deoderants.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

The SAS and Royal Marine Commandos use 'Avon Skin So Soft' which is found to be more effective that Deet, the standard military insect repellent.

Not sure who the brave commando that discovered his wifes skin softener was a great repellent but he did everyone a favour.

You might also try lavender, we have it near our pool and in the late afternoons when the nasty little things seem to bite the most, we brush the lavender and it seems to keep them away.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

mozzies

Post by Sue »

When it clouded over yesterday afternoon and it looked like we were going to have a storm the mozzies invaded our apartment. We killed around 3 dozen within 10 minutes. They home in on me too covering me in bites while they leave my husband alone. I have tried everything including a net over the bed which was as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. I eat garlic virtually everyday but they seem to like that too. As for marmite I rather be bitten!!
Dylan
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

I have recommended Avon Skin so Soft before, it is true for me that when I have this on the mossies do not bite me.
Sandy M
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sandy M »

I'd heard this before about Avon Skin So Soft, but then promptly forgot all about it!
I've had a few really nasty bites this summer so I'm well up for giving this a go. In fact I've just ordered a batch from Amazon.
If our troops wear it, then that's a good enough recommendation for me!
pfrancis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pfrancis »

Along with Marmite, another natural one is Mosi-guard. Not sure if you can get it here. It is available in Boots, Superdrug, etc. in 100ml green/white plastic spray bottles. It contains:-
- Citriodol
- Ethanol
- water
- Isopropyl Alcohol

It is billed as child friendly and skin kind. I use it and it seems to work well.

Paul.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Just looked for the Avon product on Amazon.fr
Yep, it's there and I learnt a new French word today too: insectifuge - brilliant. I love it.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Thanks everyone, I am pleased to hear that its not only me they like. I will get the Avon skin so soft, may even try Marmite....they spoil my evenings outside, and bed time...well... :oops: :lol: :lol: in the morning I count the new mounds on my body...not the two thats always there before you ask.. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

Someone told me today to rub banana skins over yourself :lol:
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Well it was on offer 2 for £5 from Avon a couple of months ago. It is normally £5 a bottle, of course I bought 4 as I used 2 bottles on myself and visitors used 1. I got it through a friend of a friend who sells it, if you want I can see if the offer is still on and get a few bottles for people.
If not Madge I can let you have one of mine to try.
Is not the smell of Marmite exuding from your skin a little off putting for your loved ones or is it only the mossies who can smell it?
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

I am back in the UK 9th July, so going to ring my mother in law tonight to see if she still gets Avon, and will ask about the offer thanks Kathy, If not, I will let you know, so you can maybe get me some. :D
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Just looked at the Avon Catalogue on line the dry body oil, which is the one you need to use, is on offer 2 for £4. It is a good mosturiser even if it doesn't deter the mossies for you.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Is it called Skin so soft dry body oil?
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Yes, there are a lot of skin so soft products but here is a piccy of it.
http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?ProductID=396903

Thumbers had one last year and the mossies love her too. Did it work for you Thumbers?
Eamon Avis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Eamon Avis »

It's also good for pigs as well :)

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
Avon for Rare Breed Pigs as well as Humans - Oh Yes, 13 Jun 2010
By Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Avon skin so soft DRY OIL BODY SPRAY Original 150 ml (Misc.)
Now I have just purchased some of this, not only for myself but for the use on my two girls (rare breed pigs). I read on a website that this product is not only a good one for humans but also pigs. (Yes, I did think myself it was a joke, but in all honesty it works). So much cheaper than a lot of other products out there and one that works.

Have tried it out on my own sun dried skin and can feel a difference, great for using after a day out in the sun as it does moisturise well. Not only does it not smell all chemically, it doesn't leave your skin greasy or mark any of your clothes, as it dries quickly onto your skin. So for myself and the girls it ticks all the right boxes.

All I can say is that the girls love having it sprayed onto their skin especially their ears and for the price a good product, plus I can also give myself a quick spray whilst doing them. Did try baby oil on them but it just ended up making a mess of my clothes when they came up close to me afterwards, however with this Avon dry oil spray, no worries on that score.

An item that the whole family can use, males too. Cut down on buying various sprays, save money and no more blocking the bathroom cupboards up items you don't use, as with this one you will be using only this to make your skin feel lovely and soft.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

It's also good for pigs as well
:lol: :lol:

Well there you are then a better accolade could not be had. I'm surprised Avon haven't used it in their marketing.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

what about cows......or bulls?

discrimination.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
vinogeek
Rank 2
Rank 2

Skin so Soft

Post by vinogeek »

So spraying DDT on their breeding places isn't a way forward then... only joking
:lol:

Skin So Soft is my choice of vineyard cover and I haven't been bitten out there by mozzies or anything else in 4 years.
Corin FAIRCHILD
Domaine Vella Frontera

www.vellafrontera.com
Port: +33 620 68 14 67
frenchiegas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Mozzies

Post by frenchiegas »

When in Oz i used a local product called Rid.Brought some back [roll on type] and works very well.Can be bought online at www.rid.com/au.
The local workers cut lemons in half and rub that on their skin and they say its very effective.
If that had gone in.............it would have been a goal.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

Heard that eating Brewer's Yeast puts off the little b******s. Doesn't smell as strong as Marmite. Could give it a try.
Helen
edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by edann42 »

Vinegar is brilliant, but you do tend to smell like fish and chips!!! :lol:
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Yes, Kath, it did work for me, thanks.

I also like lavender oil and if you have a melissa plant, try rubbing the leaves over your skin, that can help too - AND it smells nicer than Marmite or vinegar lol :lol: :lol: