Tax

Buying, selling or renting in the area

Moderator: Moderators

Ray B
Rank 0
Rank 0

Tax

Post by Ray B »

How much can one earn on rentals before paying tax? Then what is the tax rate? Please.

Ray :shock:
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

I have a nasty feeling that you pay tax on everything you "earn" by renting out your property in France.
It doesn't work the same way as in England - there is no tax free allowance.
At least that's what I gathered from a conversation with friends who have no other income and are very disillusioned.
Sorry to be bearer of bad news.
Hope I may be proved wrong.
Fishing8
Rank 0
Rank 0

Tax

Post by Fishing8 »

Just to add that if you are considered to be UK resident you get taxed in UK on worldwide income less credit for foreign tax paid.
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

I'll ask oh when he comes home, we rent out but being a typical woman i leave all the boring stuff like tax to him...i know we pay tax on our rental income but not sure if there is a threshold level at which you start paying, I do know that we let furnished because we get some relief for furnished it used to be 70% but they cut it this year to 50% but oh said we were still better off letting furnished
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Tax

Post by blackduff »

Fishing8 wrote:Just to add that if you are considered to be UK resident you get taxed in UK on worldwide income less credit for foreign tax paid.
Maybe you will pay in the UK but you should be paying tax on your rentals in France. The French want the taxes for earnings in their country.

If you do rent this"black", then you can be caught or if something goes wrong, how do you tell the local authorities. Rememeber you will have to pay "Tax de Sejour" for each person/per day so this will be a way for the authorities to see it's earnings. If you don't pay the tax de sejour, your neighbors can call the locals again, since you're competing with them on the same terrain.

It's a slippery slope dodging the tax people in France.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

I would have thought it's a slippery slope trying to dodge the tax people anywhere !! :(

Helen