Stop-over in Vichy?

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

TimK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Stop-over in Vichy?

Post by TimK »

Can anyone recommend Vichy as a good place to stay for a night or two on the long journey down to the PO?
We often stop in Chartres, but like to try out different places too. In recent years we've also done Giverny and, closer to 'home', Montpellier and Nimes. Vichy looks like it's handily placed in the middle of the country and I'd expect it to have enough culture and a bit of history to make it worth a visit.
Happy to take any advice - positive or negative.

Tim K
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Never actually stayed in Vichy,Tim,but from what we saw as we drove through it,like any Spa town it has loads of accommodation,ranging from opulent to cheap and cheerful.

We often stay fairly close to there in the Moulins area,and have really liked it. It's close enough to Burgundy to have picturesque towns and villages, plus the added attraction of good food and wine at sensible prices.
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

If you want cheap and cheerful, somewhere to lay your head, with your own shower/toilet and clean, look up the Fast Hotel website and see if they have a place in Vichy. I use Fast Hotel and know what to expect and have always been satisfied with the value for money.
"She knew the price of everything, but the value of nothing"

If it's hard to do, it's not worth doing.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Never tried Fast Hotel Bee,but we've tried several of the others (Formula1,Etap, B+B,Premiere Classe etc) and they are uniformly dreadful. Not enough room to swing a cat,hard uncomfortable beds,and postage stamp sized shower rooms.

For very little more money you can use Logis de France,where you get a decent size room,and the food is edible,or even one of the chains like Kyriad,Ibis Campanile etc.
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

Formula 1 I wouldn't touch, you have to share the toilet and shower with the rest of the landing.
Campanille weren't too bad but yes Fast were just basic, but you got what you paid for and they were quite roomy. The beds were comfortable too.

TimK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TimK »

I didn't expect to start an argument between a canary and a bee!
Thanks for your advice, guys. I agree with your comments about Accor group hotels - I've tried 'em all. Pretty good value at the lower end, but soulless and sterile.
Logis de France usually have a bit of local character.
There's a Best Western in Vichy which we may try if we stay there.
Tim
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

collioure_bee wrote:Formula 1 I wouldn't touch, you have to share the toilet and shower with the rest of the landing.
Nothing wrong with Formule1, does the job required ;)

Cheers Sav :)
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

TimK wrote:I didn't expect to start an argument between a canary and a bee!
Thanks for your advice, guys. I agree with your comments about Accor group hotels - I've tried 'em all. Pretty good value at the lower end, but soulless and sterile.
Logis de France usually have a bit of local character.
There's a Best Western in Vichy which we may try if we stay there.
Tim
We spat all the time Tim LOL. We are mates really. :lol:

mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

Sav wrote:
collioure_bee wrote:Formula 1 I wouldn't touch, you have to share the toilet and shower with the rest of the landing.
Nothing wrong with Formule1, does the job required ;)

Yeah guess it does Sav but.......It's better at the Hiton LOL! :lol: :lol: :wink:
graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Stop-over in Vichy?

Post by graham34 »

TimK wrote:Can anyone recommend Vichy as a good place to stay for a night or two on the long journey down to the PO?
We often stop in Chartres, but like to try out different places too.....
Haven't dome Vichy so would also be interested in views (on the town as well as hotels). Have done Chartres a couple of times. Did Bourges in November 2008 and enjoyed the cathedral, medieval streets and self-guide rampart tour - enough for a good half day but not perhaps two nights.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

mrob343 wrote: Yeah guess it does Sav but.......It's better at the Hiton LOL! :lol: :lol: :wink:
Nothing wrong with the showers, toilets are ok, room is adequate & has tv with football ;)
If you want to pay more & luxury, then ask Rob for some money :lol:

Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Can recommend Troyes as a place on the return journey.

Like York with open-air restaurants.

John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

If you are still a smoker like me (slap me on the hand! ) Ibis are best,
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Rose wrote:If you are still a smoker like me (slap me on the hand! ) Ibis are best,

Why, are you allowed to smoke inside. :shock:
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by graham34 »

john wrote:Never tried Fast Hotel Bee,but we've tried several of the others (Formula1,Etap, B+B,Premiere Classe etc) and they are uniformly dreadful. Not enough room to swing a cat,hard uncomfortable beds,and postage stamp sized shower rooms.

For very little more money you can use Logis de France,where you get a decent size room,and the food is edible,or even one of the chains like Kyriad,Ibis Campanile etc.
Have stayed in a couple of B+Bs and and Etap in past year for a one night head down with evening in town. Comparing the B+B and Ibis (Luce) in Chartres I don't see the IBIS being worth the extra unless you book non-refundable 30 days in advance which can be a good deal. The room and bathroom isn't significantly bigger or better in the IBIS. IBIS breakfast is superior but then it costs more. The main difference is that the IBIS have more reception staff and a pricey bar while at the B+B the guy does part time reception and breakfast.
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

Ibis still have a few smoking bedrooms.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

I didn't realise it was still legal in France to smoke indoors.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

You can smoke in The Houses of Parliament, prison and hotel rooms which are designated smoking rooms in the UK. Also in designated hotel rooms in France.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Regarding the Houses of Parliament their motto is: `You do what i say not as i do `, so no surprises there then. :roll: :roll:

I just thought there was no smoking anywhere indoors, but you have proved me wrong Rose.
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

Rose wrote:Ibis still have a few smoking bedrooms.
hotel B&B still have smoking rooms too...when we looked at their website and saw a choice of smoking or non smoking rooms we dismissed it thinking their website needed updating but last month we stayed in one in Metz and the receptionist asked if we wanted smoking or non smoking and when we went to the room there were ashtrays there for this purpose