Can Anybody recommend a good builder for Reynes?

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

simon@bendi.co.uk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Can Anybody recommend a good builder for Reynes?

Post by simon@bendi.co.uk »

Reynes: - I’d like to build a pool, summer kitchen, large patio and a laundry room and office in an outbuilding. Also I'd like to convert the basement into a separate apartment. Later there is a barn to convert. Plenty to go at but the problem has been trying to do this remotely from the UK. It would be ideal if someone could plan, quote and project manage for me in Reynes. Is there anybody out there who fits the bill :?:
Simon B
Worcs & Reynes
Serge

Post by Serge »

Hi Simon,

Contact this bloke ...........

Jonathan Waldren (rdltdfrance@gmail.com)

If he is too busy he might know someone else in the area.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Or try Dave, who also advertises on here

P.O.INTERIORS - carpentry, kitchens, bathrooms..... - email
Phone: 04 68 37 97 83 mobile:06 72 42 07 04. - Fax: 04 68 37 97 83
All carpentry work, kitchens,bathrooms, conversions and total renovation.
Fully insured and registered, 20 years experience.
References provided on request
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Or try Dave Taylor who also advertises in PO Life.

0468 397715

He's outstanding! :D
Serge

Post by Serge »

I'm starting to get the impression that anyone who does not advertise in PO Life is not worth bothering with ............. :?
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Serge wrote:I'm starting to get the impression that anyone who does not advertise in PO Life is not worth bothering with ............. :?
Bit unfair Serge. Although it was not mentioned by Simon,sometimes ability to speak English is often a requirement from people on this Forum.

Adverts on here/POL tend,naturally, to be from English speakers,so they will usually get a bigger crack of the whip than those who don't.
simon@bendi.co.uk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by simon@bendi.co.uk »

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm in touch with a couple now and yes, although I speak a little it's much easier in the native tounge.
What a brill site, a few clicks and I'm into the local community - thanks again. :D
Simon B
Worcs & Reynes
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

You're welcome, Simon - and welcome to the madhouse! lol :lol: :wink:
Serge

Post by Serge »

What I am saying is that a qualification for recommendation should not just be because they advertise in PO Life ..............

.. we are getting into 'clique' territory again if it is ..... :roll:
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Advertising on A-D is of course no recommendation at all. But at least if you mention the fact, then the OP can look in the directory for further details - which they may have done already....or may not. That's all.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

It's not.

But the chances are, if they advertise in PO Life or on AD, then they already have an established business with a British clientele who can vouch for the quality of the work; something which can be quite important for someone new to the area.

And anyway, you know yourself how unreliable some of the locals can be - and expensive when they hear an English accent!

You are right in one sense, though. Advertising on here and in PO Life is no guarantee of quality of work.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

I agree a qualification for recommendation should be either personal experience or knowledge of work completed for someone else. The work should be of a high standard and as Thumbelina says not inflated because the person employing them may not be fluent in French. Not only the French are guilty of this! If they advertise on here all well and good as it justifies the expenditure for these professionals and benefits us all with the production of the magazine.
However if they don't then we should still be able to make recommendations.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

However if they don't then we should still be able to make recommendations.
Quite right, Kathy!

:D
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

As far as I know, noone has ever objected to recommendations. In fact, the title of the thread is

"Share info on where to get things; recommend good shops and services; share good and bad experiences."
Sandy M
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sandy M »

We can recommend John White of Taurinya. He's built a beautiful patio, steps and decorative walls for us; he's also working on an eco-build in Prades currently. I cannot recommend him strongly enough. He's honest, hard-working and his rates are extremely competitive. If you're interested, let me know and I'll pass on his details... Yes, he's English but he's been working for a French company for years and recently set up on his own. John speaks excellent French which is also an asset and many of his clients are French, also a good sign.
Sandy M
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sandy M »

Just noticed that the build is in Reynes and I have to admit I'm not sure where that is in relation to Taurinya, which is near Prades...
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Reynes is between Ceret and Amelie les Bains, Sandy! :D
Sandy M
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sandy M »

Thanks for that, saves me poring over a map, Thumbers :-D xx
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

sue and paul wrote:Advertising on A-D is of course no recommendation at all. But at least if you mention the fact, then the OP can look in the directory for further details - which they may have done already....or may not. That's all.
Or PO life come to that, I will not name names on here as I do believe it is against forum rules to say that X builders work is @#=#, but I will do so by PM on request, or with permission from Kate on the forum, who knows which tradesman I am refering to.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

...like you Opas, there is one I wouldn't recommend.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

thumbelina wrote:However if they don't then we should still be able to make recommendations.
Exactly, as I recommended ETS Marsa and Office des Vacances (both in Argeles) the other day and ended up feeling I was being "disloyal"!!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I think you'll find it was Kathy who said that, Roger, not me.

I just agreed with her!
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

Ian Rye: 04 68 39 75 45/06 70 43 79 60
John White:09 61 36 79 31
I know both of them... :) and both Very !!! Work Concious ! :wink:
vieux hibou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vieux hibou »

opas wrote: I will not name names on here as I do believe it is against forum rules to say that X builders work is @#=#, but I will do so by PM on request, or with permission from Kate on the forum, who knows which tradesman I am refering to.
Some clarification needed here? I don't recollect ruling against making an adverse comment on a business from which a member has had poor service - indeed there have been restaurant reviews which have done just that and I think there have been others - swimming pools come to mind. Anyway, by all means name a firm/restaurant/shop which has given bad service. I would simply suggest that such postings are moderate in tone, put the cause of dissatisfaction briefly and fairly and, above all, are factually correct.

So to say "Bodgeit and Rookem the Builders are a bunch of shysters and crooks who use rubbish materials and charge you for top quality, charge you for stuff they haven't done and invent problems so they can charge you even more" would not do. On the other hand, "We used Bodgeit and Rookem the Builders on one occasion and never again. They failed to turn up on twice and in the end we were not satisfied with the workmanship or the quality of materials used" would be fine. It may be unlikely but I suppose in such a situation we would have to give a firm being given a negative recommendation the opportunity to reply.

And one further thought. If anyone is in dispute with any kind of business, it is best not to post your complaints in a forum in an accusatory way while the dispute is still active or worse, before you have even contacted the business. (Describing a problem and seeking advice as to what to do is different and ok). I've seen recently in a skiing forum a lengthy diatribe about a tour company which seems to have had the unsurprising effect of making the said company completely unwilling to enter into discussion about the matter with the complainant, far less offer any compensation**. Best to give the enterprise the chance to sort things out privately through a reasoned and polite approach in the first place.

**And if you think we're bad sometimes, that thread is currently 23 pages long. :lol:
Forum Moderator
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

In fairness, I have now given the builder in question one week to put good his work.

After that time , 15th march, he will be named and shamed.
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

I'm happy to recommend Jonathan Waldron as well, having used him several times (sometimes on an 'hours spent' basis rather than fixed quote). He's based near Prades, but may be happy to work in Reynes.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

opas wrote:In fairness, I have now given the builder in question one week to put good his work.

After that time , 15th march, he will be named and shamed.
I think that is fair enough, you can't do anymore.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

OK it is now the 16th of march and the deadline for contact has come ; been and gone.

Do not use JohnRenov, uses the name of Christopher Fletcher from Pézilla la Riviere..

Several forum members contacted me to ask who I was refering to and they had had the same rubbish standard of work.
Debeneur.