restaurant for tomorrow lunch time

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Mimmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

restaurant for tomorrow lunch time

Post by Mimmi »

Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant for tomorrow lunch time where we can (hopefully) sit out in the sun preferrably near the water somewhere? It seems that in Port Argelès most restaurants have shut down for the winter . Last year at least two restaurants in Port Argelès were open. On Sunday the only open place was the bar "Skipper". But they don't serve meals I believe. We are open to any suggestion.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Mimi,you will find absolutely LOADS of the places you crave,just down the coast in Port Vendres.

The Chalut doesnt get the sun much at this time of year,but the Tramontane does.
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

Where is it you want to dine?
Are you restricted to Argeles?
Mimmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

restaurant on the seafront

Post by Mimmi »

no we are not restricted to Argeles as long as the place is good and is near some water or port - in other words nice view
Mimmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Tramonane

Post by Mimmi »

Thanks John, do you have any experience with the tramontane? Where about is it in PV? I know there are many restaurants but it's always taking a chance if you have never heard about the place.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

You will not be disappointed with the Tramontane Mimmi. If you stand at the landward end of the PV harbour,looking seawards,its just on your left,next to the tourist office etc.

Get there early,as the best tables(ie those with a sunny aspect)are much sought-after.
Arthur and Lyn
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Arthur and Lyn »

Mimmi
Yes it is a great place to eat.
Arthur
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

third it!
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

from Helen

Anywhere in Collioure.

My pals and I went there to celebrate a birthday this summer (Thanks, posters for all your tips, BTW) and there are lots of nice places there.
Bon appetit!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Back to Port Vendre is my fav. Yet, I do love Le Chalut. It's very close to Tramontane and there's another which is nice too(for the food) is called Archipel. It''s another fifty meters past Le Chalut. But, Archipel is a bit oldish fashion but it's not dirty. It looks more like the year 1950.

All three restaurants will please any fish eater.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I'd agree with all that,BD.

The only reason why I specifically recommended the Tram was that Mimi requested somewhere to sit in the sun,and,sadly at this time of year,the other two you mention do not get much around the lunch period.

Hopefully Mimi and her friends will report back and let us know where they ended up!
Mimmi
Rank 2
Rank 2

Success

Post by Mimmi »

Yes, we did go to the Tramontane and enjoyed it! perfect location to sit outside. We left the restaurant after 14 h and the sun was still there. Food was fine. We had the plat du jour for 15 € (pork resp. fish) and thought it was good value for money. We particularly liked the quality of the ice cream, better than most restaurants. Like John I now can recommend the Tramontane for sunny winter days. By the way I like PV . It seems to be less touristy and a bit more "natural" than Collioure. Not that you get me wrong I also like Collioure :D
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Glad to be of service Mimi,and that you enjoyed it.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Success

Post by Roger O »

Mimmi wrote:By the way I like PV . It seems to be less touristy and a bit more "natural" than Collioure.
It's a working harbour, Mimmi.

There's a Breton (what else!) guy who runs a small Tuna fishing fleet. André (my brother in law) knows him from Concarneau and when he and Béatrice (my sister in law) visit us for new year and Annaïck's (my wife) birthday on 2nd January, we will be spending a day there to visit.
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
AceKeiven
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AceKeiven »

Tramontane Mimmi is the best places to enjoy your lunch. It's March now so I think there will be no problem about the weather although it is quite cloudy this week. It is truly appetizing to have a good ambiance while dining. Link deleted due to a complain (Commercial Refrigerator)
Last edited by AceKeiven on Tue 23 Mar 2010 10:27, edited 2 times in total.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Had lunch in PV yesterday - our two faves, Tramontane and Chalut were both full so we tried the Restaurant du Port next to the Chalut. I don't like to criticize restaurants too much on the forum because everyone has bad days, and I am certainly no food connaisseuse, but this was the worst I have eaten since I moved to this region.
We started with fish soup which tasted like a mixture of disinfectant and sea water, looked like dishwater and was just about luke warm. After that we had filet de merlan full of bones en papaillote, with warmed up spuds and rice all together in the foil. The dessert was very nice, apple crumble, but cut from a tart in a box with the name of the boulangerie still on it.
We didn't expect much, to be fair, as most restaurants around it were full, and this quite large and pleasant restaurant had two lone diners at 130 pm but hoped at least for average.
It might just have been an off day.......
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Was the Archipel,just round the corner ,not open Kate? Though not as good as Tramontane/Chalut,it's very good nontheless.

We too have been disappointed with Du Port,as we have with the selection of places further down the Collioure side of the quay. They used to be fine,but recently standards have slipped. Though ,frankly,that criticism could be levelled at anywhere in PO,and,I have to say,France in general.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Kate
That was a good review. Whether it's good or bad, it's a good amount of information from this restaurant.

John stated that the Archipel was very close. I managed to slip in there sometimes when the others were full. I did get seated into the kitchen one time but I did eat well.

The Poisson Rouge is further away, it's down to the phare in the entry of the port. It's a better summer restaurant and may not even be open. Great location.

Right across the harbor, you can try the restaurant near the fish auction. I think this is called the Cote Vermeille but maybe I'm wrong of the name. This is a top restaurant so bring some money. I've eaten there quite a few times but mostly with someone special. I don't find that there's a great atmosphere though ~ just good food and good service.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by graham34 »

Kate wrote:It might just have been an off day.......
I think you are being too generous Kate. A white fish dish with just potatoes and rice, I don't think so. The restaurant was quiet for a reason. We've all been there - have to eat, places you know are full so have to try somewhere else.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

We went to Port Vendres tonight for an early dinner. Not the best weather but I like to get near the water.

We chose Le Chalut, even though we had to wait until 7.30 before the kitchen was ready to serve.

We all took the cheapskate menu at 14.50€ which, in the evening, is a pretty good deal. All the dishes were freshly prepared, plentiful and tasty. The presentation is not haut cuisine but neither is the price. The service was very professional and slick. The kids meals were great. Definitely the best steak frites they've had around here.

It's a bit old-fashioned and the modern building opposite blocks the view of the harbour but if you are in the area and looking for somewhere reliable to eat, I'd recommend it. For me it wasn't worth the 30 minute drive as I can cook slightly better than that at home and somewhere like Patio Catalan in Thuir or Mas Chabry in Toulouges are better restaurants.

The wine list was pretty unexciting with the usual suspects (Piquemale, Abbe Rous, Valmy) but if you go and want a good white wine, choose the Grain d'Orient Chardonnay. IMO the best Chardy in the Roussillon and at 21€ a far better buy than anything else on the list.

Has anyone tried La Cote Vermeille restaurant in PV?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

After a busy afternoon in Perps yesterday we decided we wanted a "no hassle" sort of evening meal,so plumped for the Courtepaille on Av Espagne by Darty.

Now,I know I've been roundly pilloried for recommending this place in the past,but,I still think it offers excellent value. The pavé de rumsteak on the Grillardin menu was,by some distance,the best steak I've had in France for some time. Tasty,juicy,very tender,and cooked to perfection. The rest was equally good. Prompt,attentive service,and a bill of 50€ that included Belgian beers,half a carafe of quite acceptable Var rosé,and coffee.

It's fashionable to knock these places,but if all you want is a tasty,well cooked meal in comfortable surroundings with easy parking thrown in,they offer a combination of the best points of French cooking and American efficiency
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Sounds good John, for a place whose name translates as 'Short Straw' :lol: