TGV

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

TGV

Post by Owens88 »

From Anglophone Direct p-o life page

'The remaining stretch from Montpellier to Perpignan should be finished 2121'

Wow. That is really far-sighted.
:)
Last edited by Owens88 on Sat 30 Jan 2010 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

How very true,John. I used to think British Rail was dismal,but the train service round here is like something out of the ark.

When our daughter comes a visiting from Geneva on the train,we invariably tell her to get off at Montpellier,and we pick her up from there. Same in reverse. The connections at Montpellier to Perps are usually inconvenient,and it takes longer than it does from Geneva to Montpellier by TGV.

The nearest station to Céret is either Perps,Elne or Argeles,so by the time I've faffed around driving there,I may as well go all the way to my destination by car,and have done with it.

To boot,the fares are outrageous and the flexibility of tickets very poor.

So,when I read the article to which you refer,it did not surprise me at all. I suspect many of us will be pushing up daisies before we get the chance to go on a decent train from Perps.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Isn't it funny how everyone's experiences are so different?

My daughter comes down on the train very regularly. We've found it to be an excellent service. Frequent. Not TOO expensive and nearly always on time, the only slight inconvenience is that she sometimes has to wait or change at Narbonne.

And changing tickets is a cinch!

Why don't you tell your daughter to get off at Narbonne, John?

And, if I may say, I think you are exaggerating slightly to say that it's as easy to drive the 170 kms to Montpellier as it is to drive the 20 minutes to Elne!! :D :D :D
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

thumbelina wrote:Isn't it funny how everyone's experiences are so different?

My daughter comes down on the train very regularly. We've found it to be an excellent service. Frequent. Not TOO expensive and nearly always on time, the only slight inconvenience is that she sometimes has to wait or change at Narbonne.

Why don't you tell your daughter to get off at Narbonne, John?
Because the Geneva train terminates at Montpellier,and it seems pointless asking her to change platforms with all her's and the baby's paraphenalia onto a train to Narbonne (or Perps for that matter). It's not the service outside PO that I'm criticising,just SNCF's stone age arrangements in Dept 66.

As for driving to Elne v Montpellier,if I or she has to change trains TWICE from Elne to get to the destination,as opposed to a direct service from Montpellier, then yes it probably is less hassle to go there.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I see.

It's true that it's not easy to do any journey on public transport with the baby stuff, is it!? :roll:

As for SNCF's investment in the PO - it's no different to everything else of the ilk. France and the region of the Languedoc Roussillon have no interest in the Pyrenees Orientales and despise the Catalans so have never invested in this department.

Nothing new there!! :evil:

The only interest the state has in this department is to profit from the land by shoving up revolting THT electricity lines so that they can sell their electricity to their neighbours!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

There is no doubt more than a grain of truth in what you say Thumbers.

But whatever the political /racial shenanigans,my main point is merely that the state of public transport round here is not conducive to using it,with or without a baby!

Apart from the UK,my only regular use of trains has been in Holland,and ,in my experience at least, Nederlaanse Spoorwegen knock the SNCF into a cocked hat.
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

p.s. I think the date is a typo. 2012 was previously mentioned. Nobody plans a century ahead !
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Serge

Post by Serge »

I don't doubt that the public transport system is very good in the area, but depending on your location you would sometimes need to use your car etc. to get to it .............. Image
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Of course, as ever, you are right oh shed dwelling wonder!

Living in the middle of nowhere as I do, I would have to use my car.

But for people who live in a village it is possible - and relatively easy and VERY cheap - to get a bus to Perps. Buses are 1€ per person per journey.

The downside is, they don't run out to the sticks very late in the evening! :D
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

p.s. I think the date is a typo
No typo John (for a change, I admit)
Those are the dates they are talking. 2012 is supposedly the date for the TGV Perps - Barcelona but if I was a bookie, I wouldnt be placing bets on it (no idea what I meant to say there about the bookie - doesnt make any sense but it's as easy to crack on as to go back and delete it :roll: )
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: TGV

Post by thumbelina »

Owens88 wrote:From Anglophone Direct p-o life page

'The remaining stretch from Montpellier to Perpignan should be finished 2121'

Wow. That is really far-sighted.
:)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Owens88 wrote:p.s. I think the date is a typo. 2012 was previously mentioned. Nobody plans a century ahead !
If you're a stock market quoted company the shareholders won't even allow you to plan ahead more then the next divi payout, normally max. 6 months!!
john wrote:Apart from the UK,my only regular use of trains has been in Holland,and ,in my experience at least, Nederlaanse Spoorwegen knock the SNCF into a cocked hat.
Never been on a Swiss train, John??
Mind you, those down in the suisse-romande are not quite up to the ones in the north east... er..
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

Follow the never ending story : http://the-languedoc-page.com/phpBB2/vi ... .php?t=923

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Peter I followed your thread

2020 is a lot closer to 2021 than 2121

I stll suspect a typo in p-o life !

John
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

[quote="Roger O.[/quote]Never been on a Swiss train, John??
Mind you, those down in the suisse-romande are not quite up to the ones in the north east... er..[/quote]

Just wondered how long it would take for bloody CFF to get into this thread Rog.

Yes,I HAVE been on a Swiss train . Once. In Zurich. And it was late.

Sorry.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

That's cos it exceptionally went via Norwich!!
I deal in Logic!
DaveM
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DaveM »

It'll be Swiss FOOTBALL next!
At least the 6 Nations starts next week.
DaveM
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Oh duh! Sorry everyone. I thought I had written 2021 and even read that in John's post!! Never was very good with numbers!!! :oops: :oops:
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

DaveM wrote:It'll be Swiss FOOTBALL next!
Who cares - that's for boys!
This is for men
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COgA4j3O ... re=related
I lived in Kloten for 14 years and they eat drink sleep dream ice hockey!!
If you think USAP are fanatics.. you ain't seen nofink!!
I deal in Logic!