Is anyone else gettting this on their sky?

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Is anyone else gettting this on their sky?

Post by collioure_bee »

I keep getting a message on the screen telling me to renew my card for full service.

Is this just for the pay services or when they upgrade will I no longer receive ITV/BBC etc?
DaveM
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DaveM »

CB, my advice - worked for me - was to remove the power from the Sky box, leave it for two minutes, remove the ftv card and throw it in the bin, then re-power.
You should still get ftv and fta channels and no annoying message.
DaveM
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I've still lost my channel five and my anglia tv settings! :( (not through following your advice, Dave!! I hasten to add! :D )
DaveM
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DaveM »

You're right, Thumbs, I don't get Five or Anglia but then we never watched either!
You know that the BBC 1 locals are from 971 up - ours, West, is 986.
DaveM
edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by edann42 »

I agree! On the advice from the television chap in Ceret, we threw away the Sky card, now all is well!! He can also tell you what to do to get Channel 5.
DaveM
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DaveM »

Hi Edann42,
Your TV chap in Ceret wouldn't happen to be Alex Hopkinson of SkyDigi, who advertises on this forum, and who has sorted us out most expertly during the last few years, would he?
If so, why not give him a plug, eh?
DaveM
edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by edann42 »

I thought advertising wasn't allowed on this Forum !!! Think I gave enough clues though !!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

My channel 5 still works fine as well as the card which I bought at the Skydigi in Ceret. I think the combination on the digibox and the card which causes the loss of channels.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I bought mine from Skydigi in Ceret three and a half years ago. It's all worked fine until this summer when I lost Channel 5.

I followed the instructions on here for adding Channel 5 as a supplementary channel and that worked fine until two weeks ago.

My regional preference (Anglia) has disappeared and I am now on BBC London and Central West, and Channel 5 etc have all disappeared.

I will say, however, that the stupid message that Bee is getting has also stopped!
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Don't think your problems with Sky are just because you are overseas - we have had endless trouble here with them. My daughter had to move out of her house for six months following flood damage and ever since she moved back Sky have persisted in sending new cards to the rental address. I have sent two letters, a dozen e-mails and made endless expensive calls to them. They lied once, assuring me that the cards had come to the correct address, so I went to the letting agent and there they were. They then said there was a glitch in the IT system so they couldn't change her address back and it could take weeks to sort out. In the meantime, we had a box right in the middle of the screens of all three of our TVs (we are a big family) so that we simply could not watch anything.

They are now trying to charge us for an account that was cancelled in March, even though I have referred them to their own letter confirming the cancellation. I think the call centre staff have targets of so many calls per hour and they will say anything to get you off the phone. The fact that many of them have a very heavy Indian accent does not help - the call centre has obviously been outsourced.

I have complained to the customer services department and they have now agreed to refund us for three weeks lack of service. I was prepared to go to the CEO if necessary.

When we were moving house, the engineer who was coming to reinstall us back in the original house rang to confirm the date and time - and of course they had given him the wrong address. He said it happens all the ti
Now there are so many alternatives, you would think that Sky would aim for more efficiency, but it hasn't happened yet.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Sometimes I thank heaven we are content with TNT!!!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

thumbelina wrote:I bought mine from Skydigi in Ceret three and a half years ago. It's all worked fine until this summer when I lost Channel 5.

I followed the instructions on here for adding Channel 5 as a supplementary channel and that worked fine until two weeks ago.

My regional preference (Anglia) has disappeared and I am now on BBC London and Central West, and Channel 5 etc have all disappeared.

I will say, however, that the stupid message that Bee is getting has also stopped!
it sounds like your card is not ' being read' by your digibox. it could have been turned off by Sky ( but as of now i havent heard that any FTV cards have been switched off yet) so i suggest you try taking it out and cleaning it and making sure it is correctly inserted back in the correct slot, the right way round and the right way up!!!
However, if the card is activated again you may well get the on screen messages satrt again.

I would also try a reboot of your digibox. ie. turn off at the mains and turn on again this might sort it out.

Regarding Channel 5, you should be still be able to view it as an' other channel'.... try adding it again if the above doesn't help....is it still 'at other channels'? or what.....

please post back if this is still a problem once you have tried the above.

The Skyman
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

DaveM wrote:CB, my advice - worked for me - was to remove the power from the Sky box, leave it for two minutes, remove the ftv card and throw it in the bin, then re-power.
You should still get ftv and fta channels and no annoying message.
I am afraid you wont get the FTV Channels without an active FTV card in the Digibox. It will stop the replace card messages and it will revrt to the default regions.
You will however receive all the FTA Channels and have the option of adding Five and Channel 4 +1 as ' other channels'.
The Skyman
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Is anyone else gettting this on their sky?

Post by montgolfiere »

collioure_bee wrote:I keep getting a message on the screen telling me to renew my card for full service.

Is this just for the pay services or when they upgrade will I no longer receive ITV/BBC etc?
You will only lose the FTV Channels: Sky3, FiveUSA & (+1), Fiver & (+1) & Viva.
Channel 5 & Channel4 +1 will need adding as 'other channels'.

HOWEVER YOU WILL STILL RECEIVE ALL THE FTA CHANNELS YOU WERE GETTING BEFORE.

Please see my website www.british-tv-in-france.co.uk for all info.
cheers
the Skyman
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Ive done that skyman.

Took it out, cleaned it. Left the digibox unplugged for five mins put it all back together and still the same. :(

PS Thanks for your help!!! :D
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

carol sheridan wrote:Don't think your problems with Sky are just because you are overseas - we have had endless trouble here with them. My daughter had to move out of her house for six months following flood damage and ever since she moved back Sky have persisted in sending new cards to the rental address. I have sent two letters, a dozen e-mails and made endless expensive calls to them. They lied once, assuring me that the cards had come to the correct address, so I went to the letting agent and there they were. They then said there was a glitch in the IT system so they couldn't change her address back and it could take weeks to sort out. In the meantime, we had a box right in the middle of the screens of all three of our TVs (we are a big family) so that we simply could not watch anything.

They are now trying to charge us for an account that was cancelled in March, even though I have referred them to their own letter confirming the cancellation. I think the call centre staff have targets of so many calls per hour and they will say anything to get you off the phone. The fact that many of them have a very heavy Indian accent does not help - the call centre has obviously been outsourced.

I have complained to the customer services department and they have now agreed to refund us for three weeks lack of service. I was prepared to go to the CEO if necessary.

When we were moving house, the engineer who was coming to reinstall us back in the original house rang to confirm the date and time - and of course they had given him the wrong address. He said it happens all the ti
Now there are so many alternatives, you would think that Sky would aim for more efficiency, but it hasn't happened yet.
All this has very little to do with the Service the various Sky/UK TV installers provide down here - hopefully eveyone is happy with our work!!...

the cards and or subscriptions can and do cause problems from time to time. However this is the first card change for 6 years....so lets hope that evrything settles down again one it is completed!!!

The Skyman
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Roger O wrote:Sometimes I thank heaven we are content with TNT!!!
sounds a bit volatile, Roger.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

It all started with the
BIG BANG!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

montgolfiere wrote:
carol sheridan wrote:Don't think your problems with Sky are just because you are overseas - we have had endless trouble here with them. My daughter had to move out of her house for six months following flood damage and ever since she moved back Sky have persisted in sending new cards to the rental address. I have sent two letters, a dozen e-mails and made endless expensive calls to them. They lied once, assuring me that the cards had come to the correct address, so I went to the letting agent and there they were. They then said there was a glitch in the IT system so they couldn't change her address back and it could take weeks to sort out. In the meantime, we had a box right in the middle of the screens of all three of our TVs (we are a big family) so that we simply could not watch anything.

All this has very little to do with the Service the various Sky/UK TV installers provide down here - hopefully eveyone is happy with our work!!...

the cards and or subscriptions can and do cause problems from time to time. However this is the first card change for 6 years....so lets hope that evrything settles down again one it is completed!!!

The Skyman
My worry is the cards we have wil stop working and we have to acquire new ones. Do you know if the old ones will still work ok montgolfier?
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

is anyone else getting this

Post by Sue »

We brought our card with us 4 years ago. It was in a digi box we bought off ebay so dont know how old it is. Is it possible to buy a new card out here when you have no address in England and at what cost. We too keep getting a message pop up saying to apply for a new card.
Dylan
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

sky

Post by Sue »

Should have said I only want a Sky free to view card.
Dylan
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

collioure_bee wrote:

My worry is the cards we have wil stop working and we have to acquire new ones. Do you know if the old ones will still work ok montgolfier?
i am afraid the old cards will be switched off sometime soon. ( this has been delayed by the UK Postal strikes) - probably by the end of the year.

remember tho' ALL THE FTA CHANNELS WILL WORK, Ch5 & CH4+1 CAN BE ADDED and you will only lose the FTV Channels: Sky3, Fiver & (+1), FiveUSA & (+1) and Viva when the card is removed or switched off.
As yet i do not have a supply of 2nd.hand cards as they are only just being issued. but i am sure there will be someone who has. so for the moment they have to be ordered and sent to a UK address.
The Skyman
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Don't forget that if you don't want Sky,you can get all the usual FTV stuff (inc C4 and Five) just by getting a decoder etc from the likes of Expert or Darty,and if you tune it in yourself,it doesnt cost an extra cent. Nor do you have to faff around with cards.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

john wrote:Don't forget that if you don't want Sky,you can get all the usual FTV stuff (inc C4 and Five) just by getting a decoder etc from the likes of Expert or Darty,and if you tune it in yourself,it doesnt cost an extra cent. Nor do you have to faff around with cards.
I am afraid you are incorrect.
with any 'generic' digital receiver you will theFTA ( Free to Air) Channels.

YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE THE FTV (FREE TO VIEW) CHANNELS.

these can ONLY be received with a SkyDigibox using an 'activated' FTV card.

These boxes are also much less 'user friendly', need regular 'manual' updating and will not provide access to the 'Red Button' interactive services.
The best choice for the Free to Air UK TV/Radio Channels is between a SkyDigibox and a UK Feesat Receiver............. and in my Humble Opinion the Sky Digibox (WITHOUT the need for any Card) is the best option.

The Skyman
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

montgolfiere wrote:
john wrote:Don't forget that if you don't want Sky,you can get all the usual FTV stuff (inc C4 and Five) just by getting a decoder etc from the likes of Expert or Darty,and if you tune it in yourself,it doesnt cost an extra cent. Nor do you have to faff around with cards.
I am afraid you are incorrect.
with any 'generic' digital receiver you will theFTA ( Free to Air) Channels.

YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE THE FTV (FREE TO VIEW) CHANNELS.

these can ONLY be received with a SkyDigibox using an 'activated' FTV card.

These boxes are also much less 'user friendly', need regular 'manual' updating and will not provide access to the 'Red Button' interactive services.
The best choice for the Free to Air UK TV/Radio Channels is between a SkyDigibox and a UK Feesat Receiver............. and in my Humble Opinion the Sky Digibox (WITHOUT the need for any Card) is the best option.

The Skyman
I guess we are talking semantics here(eg what's the difference between FTV and FTA !?),and no doubt Skyman knows more than me on this.

What I DO know however that the (non sky)system we got as described has ALL the channels we need (plus DOZENS more besides),inc radio. What non sky "extras" does his system offer that mine doesn't?

The tedious"manual tuning" to which he refers takes me 5 mins every few months,and is not strictly speaking necesary,so is hardly too taxing !

All I am saying is that the generic system that he is knocking is an excellent lower cost option for those of us who do not requre Sky,so in that ,I am not,as he puts it, "incorrect".
Serge

Post by Serge »

Ever so slightly off topic :oops:

But maybe Skyman or Montgolfiere could advise us all:

I'm thinking of completely revamping my satelite system out there, but I have heard a rumour that the Astra satelite is going to be re-aligned Northwards so that it is more centrally positoned over the UK.

Before I go out and spend a lot of money on a new dish/system etc. if it is re-aligned what effect will it have on reception in the PO and what, if anything would need to be done for me to continue receiving an acceptable signal from the Astra satelite?

STG
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

john wrote:
I guess we are talking semantics here(eg what's the difference between FTV and FTA !?),and no doubt Skyman knows more than me on this.

What I DO know however that the (non sky)system we got as described has ALL the channels we need (plus DOZENS more besides),inc radio. What non sky "extras" does his system offer that mine doesn't?

The tedious"manual tuning" to which he refers takes me 5 mins every few months,and is not strictly speaking necesary,so is hardly too taxing !

All I am saying is that the generic system that he is knocking is an excellent lower cost option for those of us who do not requre Sky,so in that ,I am not,as he puts it, "incorrect".
FTV channels = Free to View and requires a skydigibox + FTV Card to receive.

FTA Channels = Free to air which can be received by any digital receiver.

So I am afraid that you are INCORRECT in stating that a generic receiver can receive the FTV Channels. These are Sky3, FIVER & (+1) Five USA &(+1), Viva and the following ITV1 Regions: ITV Anglia West, ITV Central South West, ITV Meridian North, ITV Meridian South East,
ITV Tyne Tees South or ITV Yorkshire East.

The advantage of using a Sky digibox is that you CAN if you so wish receive these FTV channels by getting a FTV Card or eventually upgrade to a sky subscription , down the line, if you so wish.

The 'build quality' of the Digibox is much superior to the Basic ( cheap) Digital satellite receivers... i have had to replace a number of 'not very old generic ' units. I know of many digiboxes coming up to 10 years old and still going strong.

The Digibox also gives access to a 7 day EPG and as stated above access thru the 'Red Button'- to the interactive programs. eg a choice of up to 6 wimbledon matches at the same time or live streaming of 'LeTour'
with english commentary and NO ADVERTS!!!! you would also have access to the digital teletext.

Re scanning is very important from time to time as the services provided do change on a regular basis. The Digibox does this automatically.

In my experience everyone who has had the 'local' box replaced by a digibox has prefered the 'user friendly' nature of the digibox system.

I would also suggest that the digibox is superior over the basic Freesat Receivers as much of the above applies.

However i would never suggest you changing your system if you are happy with it!!!! and of course this is just my experience after installing many 100's of systems over the last few years with virtually no call backs.
The Skyman
Last edited by montgolfiere on Sat 14 Nov 2009 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Serge wrote:Ever so slightly off topic :oops:

But maybe Skyman or Montgolfiere could advise us all:

I'm thinking of completely revamping my satelite system out there, but I have heard a rumour that the Astra satelite is going to be re-aligned Northwards so that it is more centrally positoned over the UK.

Before I go out and spend a lot of money on a new dish/system etc. if it is re-aligned what effect will it have on reception in the PO and what, if anything would need to be done for me to continue receiving an acceptable signal from the Astra satelite?

STG

I too have heard 'rumours' regarding Astra 2 D having its 'Footprint' tightened. However i havent heard this from any reliable source. so at the moment i think this is just 'wishful' thinking from the minority of bigots in the UK who dont want ' Jonny Foreigner' (and us Expats) to have FREE access to UK TV when 'They' have to pay a licence fee!!!!

However they forget that residents of the UK can also access most FTA European TV under the same conditions. ie if you set up a dish point it at the right satellite they too could be watching the delights of France 2 / 3 etc. WITHOUT paying the French ' Redevance Audiovisuel' !!!!

BUT be assured that It is actually quite difficult to achieve a tight footprint on the Uk without having to increase the size of the dishes required in the margins of the country. eg the west coast of Ireland and N Scotland, and not forgetting The Channel Islands etc. So the odds are against too much change happening and we will continue to get our 'fix' of eastenders etc. without too much trouble.

I personally fit either Sky Zone 2 Dishes or 80cm. 'local' dishes dpending on where it will be placed. i find the Zone 2 dish very resitant to the wind so use that in exposed installtions.

It is also worth pointing out that 'some' of the UK Channels are broadcast FTV ( ie. only available using a Sky Dodgybox) from the other Astra 2 satellites with the 'Large footprint'. This includes some ITV Regions and Channel 5. this is very useful to the Expats further south who have reception problems from Astra 2D.
This is actually another good reason for choosing a Sky Digibox over a 'local' Digital receiver SHOULD they actually reduce the footprint any further.

I hope this helps...

The Skyman
Serge

Post by Serge »

Thanks Skyman,
I will probably use a 'Freesat' box in preference to Sky as those robbing ******** have been taking money from me for years and unless you have the Movies or Sports modules it's about as entertaining as reading CB's stuff on here :lol: :lol:

Might leave it while after Easter before making the purchase .................

STG
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

Serge wrote:Thanks Skyman,
I will probably use a 'Freesat' box in preference to Sky as those robbing ******** have been taking money from me for years and unless you have the Movies or Sports modules it's about as entertaining as reading CB's stuff on here :lol: :lol:

Might leave it while after Easter before making the purchase .................

STG
By using a sky digibox FTA you do not have to spend a penny with Monsewer Murdoch. in fact you are getting a free lunch...and a better service to boot!! in my manby years of installtions and personal use of the ssyetm i have NEVER actually spent one penny with SKY!!!!!

If gong for a Genuine 'Freesat' Box, suggest either the Humax HD or Humax Foxsat HDR Boxes depending on your ( future) requirements ie you could be future proofed for the foreseeable...... these are top quality units!!!
the skyman