Food matters

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Food matters

Post by Sue »

Unlike in England I havent done a lot of baking since I have been here and now can never remember which is plain and which is self raising flour. My husband being Northern Irish and having discovered buttermilk in Eds I want to make soda bread which requires plain flour. Can someone please tell me which is which.
Dylan
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Farine de ble is plain flour. Farine à gâteaux is self raising.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Food matters

Post by Sue »

Thanks Thumbers. Why do these senior blonde moments render you useless. It was something I knew but which wouldn't come to mind!
Dylan
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Happens to the best ofus!

Hey, I've had blonde moments all my life! :roll: Now adding senior moments to those blonde moments it's a miracle that disasters don't happen every day !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Soda Bread

Post by Lanark Lass »

We make soda bread 50% farine pain + farine multi-cereal. This works well. Our recipe also calls for cream of tartar but we haven't found this yet in Roussillon so take it out from the U.K.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I rather fancy I've seen cream of tartar at Intermarche in Ceret LL.
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Cream of Tartar

Post by Lanark Lass »

Thanks for that. I'll check out Ceret next time I'm over (only returned to U.K. Tues, alas). Had a look in St Andre Intermarche (my local) whilst over but none there.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Np. I'll have a look too next time I'm there.
Last edited by thumbelina on Thu 29 Oct 2009 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Soda Bread

Post by Roger O »

Lanark Lass wrote:Our recipe also calls for cream of tartar but we haven't found this yet in Roussillon so take it out from the U.K.
Strangely enough (don't ask me why!!) but ask for crème de tartre in your local pharmacie!!

True that Intermarché might stock it as they have very good patisserie sections!!
In many of the larger intermarché branches the patisserie is in a separate section - like an annex.
We have two here in Carcassonne like that where you are more likely to find your product!

As it's a byproduct of winemaking, maybe Santiago could start a sideline?
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Food matters

Post by Sue »

I want to make a white only soda bread being the most popular in northern ireland and my recipe calls for bicarb of soda. I have obtained this on ebay along with baking powder for making suet free dumplings for pot au feu. I have not been able to find either of these 2 ingredients out here and rarely go back to England!
Dylan
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

White Soda bread

Post by Lanark Lass »

Sue, just use the farine pain for white soda bread. We found bicarbonate of soda no problem in our local supermarket in France.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

LL's right, Sue. Bicarb is easily found at the supermarket as is baking powder. Sachets of baking powder aren't where you think they would be! They are normally near the little sachets of vanilla sugar, tubs of mixed peel, bottles of orange water etc.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Food matters

Post by Sue »

Thanks Thumbers and LL. I will look next time I am shopping in one of the larger supermarkets as I tend to use Lidl and Eds both of whom are good in many areas but while remaining basic in others.
Dylan
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

You can also buy "bicarb" in larger Intermarchés and Leclerc. I'm pretty sure Auchan has it in the "pharmacy" section?
Ask for bicarbonate alimentaire.
I have a cylindrical one in front of me marked bicarbonate alimentaire "Cerébos" pale yellowish with pictures of "nice things" on it.

I bought two exactly like this in Intermarché a few weeks ago.

Suet is more or less unknown in France. You'd have to order it, though I have seen it on the Côte d'Azur in shops where there is a massive concentration of Brits! You could phone http://www.englishshopandtearoom.co.uk/ in Pezenas (Herault).
There is quite a lot of info about it on Peter's forum (Languedoc Page).
In fact, there was a very long thread in there (also with a lot of flak!!) on the subject
http://the-languedoc-page.com/phpBB2/vi ... php?t=2609
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Food matters

Post by Sue »

Thanks Roger that was very helpful. I am so used now to making my suet free dumplings which are very light using baking powder I will stick with those. I am sure they must to some extent be healthier than the suet ones or am I just trying to convince myself!
Dylan
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Food matters

Post by thumbelina »

Sue wrote:Thanks Thumbers and LL. I will look next time I am shopping in one of the larger supermarkets as I tend to use Lidl and Eds both of whom are good in many areas but while remaining basic in others.
I've never seen either of them in Lidl, Sue. Your best bet is one of the other supermarkets. You'll get it at Carrefour in Argeles, for sure!
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Sorry, Sue - forgot to add, you do know that baking powder is called Levure chimique don't you?
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

I got Baking Powder in Carrefour mind it took me ages to find . As Thumbers said it was in the sugar aisle, goodness knows why.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Food

Post by Sue »

I thought levure was yeast!
Dylan
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I know! It is! Levure boulangère is bread yeast.

Levure chimique Alsacienne is marked on the back of the packet as poudre a lever.

It took me ages to work it out!
:D