Spanish Restaurants

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Chris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chris »

Does anyone know anyone - who has actually succeeded in having a meal at El Bulli??
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Yes. There was a review of it on this forum last year.

I'm pretty certain El Bulli has closed down.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I found Jim's review on the old forum and have moved it to this one

http://forum.anglophone-direct.com/sutra21933.php#21933
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Santiago wrote:Yes. There was a review of it on this forum last year.

I'm pretty certain El Bulli has closed down.
I don't think so. There was an article about it in last month's British Airways in flight magazine. It's true it does have a long closing period over the winter (I think Nov to Apr.),but that's not the same as "closing down".

I know someone who managed to secure a table there a couple of summers ago(he'd booked MONTHS in advance). at over 500€ for two,it was described as an experience,but not particularly good value!
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Steve&Julie wrote:Anita, have you ever been to the restaurant Can Mach above the supermarket at Tapis? (Further on from Macanet). Now that is good value for money! Menu is Rabbit, Chicken, Veal, Lamb etc etc served with fries and most dishes are around 7 euros. The steak is absolutely amazing! Its open every day except Tuesday from lunchtime until late. Great choice of starters and a free aperitif at the end.
I'd agree wholeheartedly with this.Can Mach is excellent,if a little out of the way (though of course not for Steve and Julie!!). How they do it for the money is amazing. The little shop below is a really good value treasure trove also.

Another one for the list I found yesterday,and again a good option for those meeting a flight at Girona. If you take the road from the Airport Terminal roundabout towards Aiguaviva,a few meteres up there on the right is CAN GENERAL. The food on offer is very similar to Can Mach,with prices to match. Very popular,and not open Mons or Tues,there is a patio area for use in summer. The house wine is amazing value at 3.5€ per table,seemingly for as much as you want.
Anita & Peter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Anita & Peter »

Julie, hi. We have been to tapis a few times. I'm one of these strange people who don't eat meat and as they serve no fish, my choice is very limited! It is incredibly good value for money, but there's only so much tortilla and salad a girl can eat!
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

Hi Anita,

We must get together next time we are over, do you know Kate & Dave in your village? Love to go for a meal with you I love vegetarian food.
Anita & Peter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Anita & Peter »

I have sent you a pm.
jimb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jimb »

apart from my brief review of El Bulli last year, i also recently spied one in 66 magazine (this was probably 2 or 3 months ago now) if you can track it down.

However, the author pretty much agreed with my comments in that the food was a real let down considering all of the hype ("the best restaurant in the world"!) and expense.
Damian
Rank 0
Rank 0

Spanish Restaurants

Post by Damian »

Interested to read the, generally unflattering, observations on Spanish restaurants. Worth noting that just outside Rosas is El Bulli, reputedly the world's best restaurant. Also in defense of Collioure, it does have Neptune, which has one Michelin star. Never been to either, unfortunately.

Damian
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

We went to Besalu again yesterday. Mainly to show my Mum. I remembered that we had trouble finding a decent restaurant so we wandered around for about half an hour looking for somewhere that didn't have photos of the food on display. Eventually we found a smaller cafe with what looked like and interesting chalk-board menu. We sat down and were handed a menu absolutely identical to that from the restaurant we went to last year. The food was just as bad and the waiter at this place was far more interested in the football than getting the orders correct. Rubbish!

As we wandered around the town, which is beautiful, we saw a restaurant called Pont Vella right next to the old bridge which did look better. It at least had Michelin stickers on the door. Has anyone ever tried this place?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I know exactly the one you mean,Santiago,but I wonder if it's still in business. We've been to Besalu a few times over the summer (nice place but a bit of a coach party tourist trap),and each time the Pont Vella's door has been firmly closed. Perhaps they've got wind of the fact that a Fawlty Towers-esque inspector is about,but not been able to try it,much as I'd like to.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

No, it was open. Their terrace which overlooks the bridge and river had diners sitting on lovely looking tables. I had a fair amount of diner-envy!

Besalu is pretty but there were a large number of coach tours there. I recommend waiting a few more weeks because I've been in the off-season and it is spectacular when empty.

There is a restaurant on the right hand side of the road near the turn--off for Banyoles that looked really promising. However 100m further on there was a very tanned woman sitting on a white chair in the middle of the junction. My Mum said "I thought she was just waiting for someone" :roll:
i.e. a friend, a relative or her husband. Naive or what?
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Santiago wrote:However 100m further on there was a very tanned woman sitting on a white chair in the middle of the junction. My Mum said "I thought she was just waiting for someone" :roll:
i.e. a friend, a relative or her husband. Naive or what?
You didn't see the shotgun she had across her lap??
We once came across a situation like that in a hill village on Crete..
The bus driver who came from the village said if her unfaithful husband ever showed up..
He seemed to think it was "normal"..

Yeah, on parts of Crete it's still like the backwoods of Kentucky!!

In Paleochora, the "bank" opened twice per week.. an old guy on a bike with a satchel and a shotgun opened the hut, put the tin box on the table and the shotgun beside his chair and waited for customers..

Now, though, since they're in the EU, I suppose things have changed!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

I wouldn't bank on it.