extending car insurance for travel abroad

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

extending car insurance for travel abroad

Post by mand »

Hi

we currently live in the uk but have a home in France.

how do people manage in the same position as us with car insurance and wanting to stay longer than 30 days in France.

currently our company will only insure us abroad for 30 days have tried increasing this to 60 days but they will only do this as one off's so to say with huge charges for each time that we want to stay longer..

surely there must be companies that allow you to go 60 days standard and not have to get their permission and pay fees and admin charges for each trip that you wish to stay longer...
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Do they not still offer annual green cards?

I used to have one of those (some years ago now, mind!)
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

thumbelina wrote:Do they not still offer annual green cards?

I used to have one of those (some years ago now, mind!)
me too.
mind you, i think the cover is reduced to third party.
someone told me that years later - fortunately i never had to make a claim.
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

my insurance company (hastings direct) offer full comprehensive cover abroad...out of all the quotes i had at renewal time they were the only ones that did give full cover all the others would give comprehensive cover for uk but third party only for abroad....just a shame i can't seem to be able to get cover for more than 30 days
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I know my daughter's company offer this service,Mand; see link below:

http://www.alanboswell.com/contact_us/a ... ffice.aspx

Open during normal UK office hours. She is there Mon to Thurs 10 to 3 . Ask for Karen.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

I have my car in France for more than 30 days in summer, however I pay an extra premium to extend my fully comprehensive insurance to cover foreign use. I then have exactly the same as I would have in England for up to 6 months or 90 days for any one single trip or holiday.
I am with Norwich Union Direct and it costs me an extra £26 per annum.
graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by graham34 »

Saga do unlimited 90 day trips. Marks and Spencer (act as a broker but also front claims) found me one at the same rate as Saga.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I'm with Aviva (Norwich Union) as standard they offer a maximum of 90 days in one go but changed it on request to 6 months at no extra cost.
TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Full European Comprehensive Annual Car Insurance

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hello,

My UK registered car stays in France for large parts of the year.( within the rules of course ).

I have found a UK insurance company that offers like for like fully comp insurance for annual EU cover with very reasonable premiums.

I have 2 cars on the policy and have had the cover for 3 years now.

I am happy to send a link to their website on request.

To be absolutely up front :

By doing this I get a 5% reduction on my next quote and you get a 10% reduction if a policy it taken out with them.

I could list the name of the insurance company but then neither party benefits from the introductory discount benefit.

Anyone interested will need to pm me with their email address.

I am long standing member of Anglophone --- check it out if necessary before sending a PM.
graham34
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Full European Comprehensive Annual Car Insurance

Post by graham34 »

TOM AND BARB wrote: My UK registered car stays in France for large parts of the year.( within the rules of course ).
Does this include cover for more than 90 days away from the UK? For next year one option I'm looking at is leaving a car in France from say March to November and flying back to the UK for mid-summer. No real need for a car in the UK but having one for the winter would be useful. This would reduce three return drives a year from the UK to one.

Having a French registered car is another option, but that cannot be driven in the UK by a UK resident.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Allan wrote:I'm with Aviva (Norwich Union) as standard they offer a maximum of 90 days in one go but changed it on request to 6 months at no extra cost.
Are you sure this is correct,Allan.?I spoke to my daughter about this matter this morning (her company deal a lot with Aviva). She said that the wording is a little confusing and people often mis interpret it.

Foreign cover with Aviva is available at about 26 quid extra over a normal premium,(not at "no extra cost")and indeed it does cover any one trip of 90 days. But the "six months" refers to a maximum period of foreign travel during the year, NOT a one off stay of that period. Presumably,if after 3 months you take the ferry from France back to Dover,stay a night there,then start another "new" 3 months,then,bizarrely that would be OK ,as far as Aviva are concerned!?
TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

365 day EU cover for UK car

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hi Graham,

The cover is for fully comp 365 day EU cover.

Send me a pm with your email address and I will send you the link to look at the cover documents online. You are not committed to anything.

By doing this I get a £5 introductory voucher for use against future policies and you get a £10 voucher should you proceed to take out the policy--- ( not as previously stated in my earler post 5% and 10%--sorry my mistake ).

As the meerkat says ---"SIMPLZ"