Cafe Vienne - Perpignan

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Rivesaltes Johnny
Rank 2
Rank 2

Cafe Vienne - Perpignan

Post by Rivesaltes Johnny »

Just been looking at the review of this place from 2006 and thought an update would be useful.

Tried this place last Thursday evening as we wanted somewhere central in the town to wander around for the music and soak up the atmosphere.

We had a visitor with us who is use to the five star hotel market and we were pleasantly suprised. The terrace was heaving but a table found was found quickly and we settled on the set priced menu at just under 25euros per head.

The gazpacho was good and the melon with ham a generous portion. Main courses were good, the grilled fresh sea bass perfect and the magret with a banyuls sauce and dauphinoise potatoes were outstanding. The apricot tart was bought in but an excellent quality and the chocolat fondant was decadent beyond reproach with a glass of banyuls rouge.

Service was slick and hard working waiters really delivered. It was a great atmosphere and we will return to sample again as the art deco interior looks funky for a meal indoors. Perfect setting to enjoy the music and atmosphere and all in all it was a great way to spend the evening.

I agree with santiago the wine list included some good wines including some from Mas Sauvy and Mas Amiel wines... all in all a good place that impressed the visitor use to high standards.

Total cost for 3 adults + one child 117 euros with plenty to drink!
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

sounds very reasonable for the quality, Johnny.
we have passed by many times but thought it was just for rich tourists.
maybe we will give it a try sometime.
thanks
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Hi Johnny, can you remind us where it actually is, I wouldn't mind giving it ago when we come over.

...think I have just remembered where it is... :roll:
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Don't forget that pages jaunes gives a plan with each address/phone!
Many people forget that - me included!
Often better than a written description.
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Marguerite & Steve wrote:Hi Johnny, can you remind us where it actually is, I wouldn't mind giving it ago when we come over.

near where that new water feature is, just by that large Quick restaurant. close to the courthouse.
brilliant setting.
vieux hibou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by vieux hibou »

Thanks for this. I have updated the entry in the A-Z list.
Forum Moderator
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

polremy wrote:
Marguerite & Steve wrote:Hi Johnny, can you remind us where it actually is, I wouldn't mind giving it ago when we come over.

near where that new water feature is, just by that large Quick restaurant. close to the courthouse.
brilliant setting.

Yep, got it, thanks, we go to the resto at the very end, going towards the courthouse.......something .. ... .. Paix???? we get lovely Moules & frites there, they also do lovely Pizzas.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

It's 3 Place Arago
Place Arago must be the central square of Perpignan with all its palm trees.
I deal in Logic!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

The Arago restaurant is not bad either. Not as polished as La Vienne but decent food and laid-back atmosphere.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

The Arago restaurant was closed for cleanliness about 18 months back. I know it re-opened and it's running okay. I have a friend who thought it was the best place to eat downtown in Perpignan (she liked being known personally). I could really terrorize her "best" place to eat.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

blackduff wrote:The Arago restaurant was closed for cleanliness about 18 months back.Blackduff
... and thereby hangs a little known political tale!!!! You many remember the erstwhile manager Tristan, who is an old personal friend and neighour of ours from Antibes...
The above was part of a local move to get him out (he is metisse - need I say more?).
I deal in Logic!
Chantal
Rank 2
Rank 2

Cafe Vienne - Perpignan

Post by Chantal »

We have used it too - alone, and with guests.

Service is what I remember mostly.

Helping keep us/our guests out of the sun - i.e. preparing tables for us move half-way through a meal, without as much as a stir, but rather with kind understanding.

Bringing in the 'stain remover' spray 'at the drop of a hat' on an other occasion after I, accidently [of course :lol: ], spilt red wine over a light pink summer top.

Mats (hubby) comments that they have a good menu (we last enjoyed quite a large portion salad, pork and apples, and a chocolate cake for lunch).

More than that, and for people like us who are a little short on routine, we found that we could get a meal AT ANY TIME of the day :wink: :D

Enjoy!
A fresh outlook on life! Une nouvelle vision de la vie! - www.ShantalOneSupport.com - +44 7909 330446
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

That last bit would sell the place to me!!
That's one of the downsides of being in France we find - not being able to eat when you feel like it.
We are late risers and, by the time we are ready for our "lunch" it is often too late.
I bet Thumbers doesn't have that problem.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

lol :lol:

:wink:
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Actually, Thumbers, you probably have difficulty in hanging on until 12 if you have breakfast as soon as you wake up.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

:lol: :lol: I don't Pol.

I have a coffee when I get up, breakfast around 7, lunch around 13h and dinner around 21h.

So now you know my eating habits! :lol: :lol: :wink:
Carmen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Cafe Vienne

Post by Carmen »

My ex-husband used to work at the Vienne when it first opened. It has always been a good address. The owner Camille Otero used to own the Mas Vermeil which is unfornately going to be sold "par la bougie" in September. He is also the owner of Le France, place de la loge. I send my guest there when they are looking to eat "downtown", i've never eaten a bad meal there and the most of the waiters have been there since the beginning. Another good address "Downtown" is the VIP, a small cosy place, very good food, good service and not too expensive.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Cafe Vienne

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

[quote="Carmen". Mas Vermeil (which )is unfornately going to be sold "par la bougie" in September
from Helen
So that's the puzzle elucidated. I wonder what it'll become?
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Cafe Vienne

Post by blackduff »

Carmen wrote:My ex-husband used to work at the Vienne when it first opened. It has always been a good address. The owner Camille Otero used to own the Mas Vermeil which is unfornately going to be sold "par la bougie" in September. He is also the owner of Le France, place de la loge. I send my guest there when they are looking to eat "downtown", i've never eaten a bad meal there and the most of the waiters have been there since the beginning. Another good address "Downtown" is the VIP, a small cosy place, very good food, good service and not too expensive.
I have heard that Otero owned the Jockey restaurant in Madrid. This was during the late 1980s. The Jockey restaurant is a very good restaurant.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.