OLIVE OIL

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Jphn, I thought they were living somewhere between Geneva and Lausanne.. surely via Italy's the long way round through the Gotthard tunnel which is best for Lucerne, Zug, Zürich, St. Gallen and Eastern Switzerland where the little people live (Appenzell)???
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

To be honest the best olive oil I've ever tasted came from Andalucia. Having said that I think there are some great olive oils produced here in the Roussillon.

Have you ever been to Olivera & Co in Perpignan? Olive heaven!
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I've been to the one in Toulouse - it's truly amazing!

I think you're right about Roussillon olive oil, but I will not pay those prices for something which is a staple ingredient in most of my food preparation.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

The key is to use those expensive olive oils just for dips and sald dressings, then they last a month, For cooking I normally use the Lidl one but we got some Maille on 2for1 last week.

My favourite Roussillon oils are from Moulin de Minerve in Corneilla, Mas St Pierre in Millas and Mas Garrigue in Ille-sur-Tet. I've not compared the Moulin de Llevant from Laroque yet but their spreads are great.

Have you ever tried Mas St Pierre's Confiture d'Olive. It's a sweet olive jam. Absolutely fantastic with cheese or just on nice bread.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

No I havent - sounds good! yummy! :D
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Here's an article from a former P-O Life about the olive industry round here (ignore the link title!!) which you might find interesting.

http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Fatal-ski-accident?
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I did, thanks! :D
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Roger O wrote:Jphn, I thought they were living somewhere between Geneva and Lausanne.. surely via Italy's the long way round through the Gotthard tunnel which is best for Lucerne, Zug, Zürich, St. Gallen and Eastern Switzerland where the little people live (Appenzell)???
It is a bit further,but it's much more picturesque and interesting than the A9/7. Don't go anywhere near St Gottard.The best route is via Cuneo and Turin/Aosta,through the st Bernard tunnel,then Martigny,Lausanne.

It's a great excuse to go through Italy,which we love,and WHAT scenery!
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Great journey! I love that area, too! Haven't been over that way for donkey's years though, unfortunately! We used to ski over the St Bernard Pass and down into Italy for lunch, then get a bus back through the tunnel.

If you want a longer journey one time, John, you could try going alongside Lake Maggiore, through Domodossola (sp?) over the Simplon pass and back along the Rhone valley via Sion to Lausanne.

That is just BEAUTIFUL too! :D
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Crazy when one thinks! I lived 24 years in Switzerland and have never driven over the Süsten Pass which has a reputation for grand scenery.

One gets in ruts when one lives in a place!
As a tourist, I even got a taxi driver on Mauritius to take me north-south inland over a road he had never heard of in 28 years of driving tourists all over the island. I saw it on a map and thought it looked interesting!
Incidentally, the taxi driver found a new short cut to the airport via that road... heh!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Plenty of ruts on inland roads in Mauritius I should think.

You're bringing back memories of last September when we were there for our son's wedding!
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

You're right, Roger.

I often talk to my friends and neighbours about the PO and it would seem that I know their department better than some of them!

I've never heard of the Susten pass. (I looked it up on Wikipedia - it looks very beautiful! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susten_Pass ) I don't know the German speaking area of Switzerland very well - apart from one trip from the Rhone Valley, through a tunnel on a train to Goppenstein (?) and then up to Luzern, Zurich and finishing at the Falls of the Rhein at Schaffhausen.