OLIVE OIL

The best place to buy this and that? Recommend shops and share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

OLIVE OIL

Post by smithkei »

Does anybody know the cheapest place to buy olive oil,in Pyrenees Orientales, or across the border in Spain. Thanks Keith.
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

I would suggest you go to the Moulin de Llevant at Laroque des Alberes - not the cheapest but very good.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

....I this was something to do with Popeye.. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Olive oil is cheaper in Spain but I don't think it's better quality, or even as good. Could be wrong. :oops:
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

I've been told that Lidl olive oil is better than a lot of the pricier stuff.
Lots of people with very discerning palates have written very favourably about it.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

It depends on what you want,Keith. If you are literally just looking for the cheapest Olive oil,then look no further than the usual suspects (Lidl,Aldi,Netto,Leader Price etc). Perfectly good for most general cooking/salads.

Without being flippant,if you really are looking for the best oils at the most favourable prices,then Kate is partially right;but you'll have to go to Italy for that. IMHO,theirs is streets ahead of anything from round here or Spain.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I have an Italian couple who visits my home about 5 or 6 times each year. They bring all kinds of French goodies to bring home into Torino but they never bring any oil from France. Maybe there's a reason.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smithkei »

Thankyou all for your comments, even Popeye
smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smithkei »

Rose wrote:I would suggest you go to the Moulin de Llevant at Laroque des Alberes - not the cheapest but very good.
Thankyou for info. Keith.St .Cyprien
smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smithkei »

Marguerite & Steve wrote:....I this was something to do with Popeye.. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for info!!!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Hi Keith
It seems that you are really serious about the olive oils, so I'll put my best information in this post.

OLIVE OIL TREASURE CHART
Like most treasure charts, there are some missing information. This is good, since too many will find this treasure. This quest will be found across the border into Spain.

Here's the information which I can pass.

From Banyuls, take the road towards Puig del Mas. If you follow the route towards South, this little road will pass the Col de Bast, and continue towards Col de Rumpissar. I have been showing the information which was found on the IGN Banyuls, col du Perthus.

When your car arrives at the Col de Rumpissar there will still have another nice road but my map doesn't show the Spanish road. Cross the border and then drive down the Spanish road. Shortly you will arrive in a small village and it has a Olive Oil company there. This Olive Oil is the best Oil around our area, from what the ledgend tells.

Even better than finding this great source of Olive Oil, it has a small hotel and it serves a Great Lunch. So, if you're taking this road from Banyuls, make sure you arrive at this village at lunch time. Of course good vino tinto is in abundace.

This route is a good variation from Banyuls towards Figures. This can also be found from driving on the Spanish roads from Figures. In any case, this is the best way for this visit.

Maybe some of the other posters on the A-D know about this chart but they will not give this special directions. This is part of the legend on the Olive Oil Treasure Chart.

Let us know, if you find the place.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I found the name of the Spanish village with the Olive Oil and a superb lunch. This is Espolla.

Blackduff
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

I'd agree with that BD. The oil there is very good indeed,and quite reasonably priced.

I'd also endorse your route via the Col de Banyuls. Really good drive,and all metalled roads now since the last year or so.
Eamon Avis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Eamon Avis »

Which magazine did a test of extra virgin olive oils this month where 4 experts did a blind test of 12 popular UK olive oils. My usual oil Carapelli (84p per 100ml) got one star along with M&S (57p per 100ml) and Morrison's (46p per 100ml) with advice to leave it on the shelf!

Asda's (46p per 100ml) and Napolina (84p per 100ml) got two stars. Sainsbury's (54p per 100ml), Bertolli Originale (76p per 100ml) and Felippo Berio (78p per 100ml) got three stars.

The best buy four star oils were Waitrose, Aldi Evoo and Lidl Primadonna. The experts said Waitrose oil (50p per 100ml) had a great taste with hints of pepper and chilli and didn't leave a waxy aftertaste. Primadonna from Lidl (33p for 100ml) was described as a delicate oil that's ideal for everyday use and for dressing salads. Aldi's Evoo(33p per 100ml) had an enticing aroma of tropical fruits and lemon with a well balanced taste.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Thanks, Eamon.
I knew I'd heard it from somewhere that Lidle couldn't really be beaten.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I've been thinking this over and am now asking myself, why would you want the cheapest olive oil? Does it have to be olive oil? What do you want it for?

If you are looking for an oil for cooking, why not use something cheaper like grapeseed, sunflower or corn oil? The problem with poor quality olive oil is that it can be bitter.

Agree that the Lidl one is pretty good for sautes and so on but I would choose something more fragrant for salad dressings and the Moulin de Llevant is pretty good.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Puddles
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Puddles »

For salads a really good olive oil is" Bargatto'; Spanish ofcourse & you should only pay about 3 euros per litre.
Bismillahirrahmanirrahim.
smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smithkei »

blackduff wrote:I found the name of the Spanish village with the Olive Oil and a superb lunch. This is Espolla.

Blackduff
Iam going down to St Cyprien in September i will go to this village. Thankyou very much for the info, Keith.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

The olive oil from Espolla is lovely - some of their wine is pretty drinkable stuff too! :D
smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smithkei »

Santiago wrote:I've been thinking this over and am now asking myself, why would you want the cheapest olive oil? Does it have to be olive oil? What do you want it for?

If you are looking for an oil for cooking, why not use something cheaper like grapeseed, sunflower or corn oil? The problem with poor quality olive oil is that it can be bitter.

Agree that the Lidl one is pretty good for sautes and so on but I would choose something more fragrant for salad dressings and the Moulin de Llevant is pretty good.
Ilove olive oil,i didn't want the cheapest,simply wanted the oil at a good price thanks Keith.
smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smithkei »

thumbelina wrote:The olive oil from Espolla is lovely - some of their wine is pretty drinkable stuff too! :D
Thankyou for that i must try some,Keith.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

You're welcome - and welcome to the forum, Keith :D
smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smithkei »

Santiago wrote:I've been thinking this over and am now asking myself, why would you want the cheapest olive oil? Does it have to be olive oil? What do you want it for?

I didn't want the cheapest but the best price,if that makes sense,thanks Keith.
smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smithkei »

thumbelina wrote:The olive oil from Espolla is lovely - some of their wine is pretty drinkable stuff too! :D
Thanks i will give it a try,
smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smithkei »

thumbelina wrote:You're welcome - and welcome to the forum, Keith :D
Thanks its nice to be here. :lol: javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
smithkei
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by smithkei »

I will pay you a visit in September,thanks for the info,Keith.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Received the LIDL publicity for this week just this morning!!
Pages 8 through 13 are dedicated to Italian products Wed. 5th August.
On page 9, bottom right, there are some interesting "quality" olive oils.
On the same page there are some Modena balsamic vinegars too!

Forza Italia!!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Wicked!

Thanks for that Rog!

I bought a bottle of Auchan own brand balsamic by mistake last week and it's BLOODY AWFUL!!!

I shall be trotting off to Lidl this week now! :D
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Luckily ,we have to pass by Italy en route to visit our daughter in Switzerland. Wouldn't DREAM of buying our Olive Oil/Balsamic anywhere else these days.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

That sounds interesting John!

Which route do you take?