somewhere new and nice for dinner

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

mwana
Rank 2
Rank 2

somewhere new and nice for dinner

Post by mwana »

Hi all

This isn't until the end of August, but its Mark's birthday and I wanted to take him somewhere new and nice or even slightly alternative, a gastro meal I guess, within about a half hour of where we live which is St Jean Pla De Corts. Any suggestions? We have done La Balette, Les Palmiers, Villa Duflot etc etc, just wanted somehwere else.

Many thanks in advance

Mwana
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Have you tried Les Cluses Mwana, on the Le Perthus road? There's nothing alternative about it, I must admit, but it's quite smart for round here. Good service, nice grub.....
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

The Chat Qui Rit in Reynes is under new ownership,Mwana. The new people have been there 3 wks,and though I've not been yet,people whose views I trust have been enthusiastic.

Do you do Spain? for a change,you always get a good meal,attentive service in unusual surroundings at Artigas in La Jonq.
mwana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mwana »

Hi Kate

Done Les Cluses, wasn't too sure about it, nothing wrong with it, but not really my thing for some reason.

Interesting that Le Chat qui Rit is under new ownership, used to go there quite frequently but went off it, got bored and wasn't keen on paprika around the edge of my plate, so not sure if I could bring myself to go there and be disappointed, although its not about me!!

I do do Spain too, although really only El Fogons de Candal, so that might be interesting, where is Artiga?

Oh maybe i should try the place you said in St Cyp is it Kate, with the chef who worked under Ramsey? Is that good?

Mwana
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

mwana wrote:Oh maybe i should try the place you said in St Cyp is it Kate, with the chef who worked under Ramsey? Is that good?

Mwana
Not in St Cyp,Mwana,but Argeles (the port). It's called Las Papallonas,and excellent value it is too.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Or there is also the Auberge du Cellier at Montner which is supposed to be very good, expensive, very good cuisine I'm told (I'm no connaisseur I'm afraid - gimme a good steak and chips any time!) OR why not book yourselves in for a night at Falgos and do the steam, sauna jacuzzi, beauty treatment thing. Food looked good at lunchtime tho I didnt sample it, but the atmosphere of peace and quiet (before Jane and I arrived) was quite special, despite the golfers!! :roll:
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I hadn't planned to complain about this restaurant. But, I went there last Saturday evening and we called and made reservations.

Arrival, we were placed in a decent table, on one side area. We settled down and the waiter came over and said he's sorry but this place is reserved (this wasn't shown reserved). The waiter put us on the center aisle, nearest to the entry of the kitchen. Waiters were passing along both sides of my table. Okay, I wasn't too happy.

But, this waiter brought menus for another group which arrived after us. Again, the waiter back to the kitchen and brought three more menus for the people just adjacent. They were sitted within the last three minutes.

So, we left. The woman didn't understand why we wanted to leave but I'm certain she thinks we're tourists.

I remembered (within AO post) there was some seafood in the menus and for this reason I had tried to see if it's good. Since I never got to see the menu, so I guess this will never happen ever.

Okay, one last groan. The neighbor table did have a plate which is one of the "posh" versions. This is a large plate but the center is more like a shallow bowl. I've tried to use a knife in one of this type of plate and it's impossible.

The bottom line is that I know better places to have a decent meal.

Blackduff
Last edited by blackduff on Wed 22 Jul 2009 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Unfortunately,you omit to mention which restaurant you are referring to,BD!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

John
Sorry for not noting the restaurant. It was the Pappallonas (sp?), which was noted on your post previous. My post was slow and Kate fitted to the thread, so I guess I should have more information.

Since there's a reference with Ramsey, I could refer her Hell's Kitchen.

For a good suggestion for a nice meal, the Ancienne Ecole in Palau. I haven't been there for quite some time. Lots of others have told me that it's very good.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I loved El Pati (sp?) in Peretallada!

Gorgeous food on a super terrace!

I can highly recommend it - or if not, see my resto review for Valla Mas in St Feliu - lovely food - and ambiance - right on the beach!

Top notch!
susie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by susie »

Hi, Have you tried L'Amadeus in Argeles central beach. It's by the main roundabout, near the tourist office.

Quite pricy (for Argeles), but fine for a special occision. Small terrace outside, pleasant dining inside, a la carte or fixed price (when I was there the fixed price started at about 25 Euros).

Food was excellent, fine dining regional style. The portions were a bit small but as the courses keep coming with interesting amuse bouche in between. Bit nouvelle cuisine.

Not somewhere you'd go every night of the week but a 'proper restaurant' that's great for a dressy-up, special occasion.
Susie
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

blackduff wrote:
For a good suggestion for a nice meal, the Ancienne Ecole in Palau. I haven't been there for quite some time. Lots of others have told me that it's very good.

Blackduff
Have been meaning to try there for ages, please report back if you go there ...
mwana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mwana »

Oh Kate, both those sound fab, where are they? I do love a good steak and chips but I've been doing that on the bbq once a week and don't think mine can be beaten at the moment (modest I know!!).

Been to Amadeus a couple of years ago and wasn't keen on the decoration. I'm writing this and thinking, goodness I'm such a snob, sorry!!

Mwana
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Falgos is up past Saint Laurent de Cerdans
http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Chill- ... -de-Falgos
You'd have to stay the night tho unless you wanted to have a teetotal birthday and an hour's drive home down winding mountain roads. Like I said, don't know what the food is actually like but loved the indoor heated pool wth outdoor sun terrace, and steam great for squeezing out blackheads afterwards (just FYI of course)

As for Montner, isnt it Estagel way??

Another one I really like for the atmosphere is the Konfusius in Perpignan. It's Thai, and has little rivers and waterfalls flowng past your table (I only realised when I put my denim jacket back on at the end and it was soaked) and all the ladies get orchids to take home and there are fantastic flower arrangements everywhere. Once again, it is the atmosphere rather than the food that I loved tho the food was just OK too.
mwana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mwana »

They both look lovely, but probably too far, definately on my list to do in September when we can get our babysitter to do an overnighter, I'll need a rest by then!

Mwana
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Kate wrote:
As for Montner, isnt it Estagel way??
...yes it is, we have been 2 or 3 times always enjoyed the meal there, although a bit pricey, we still swear by Maison du Terrior at Maury, michelin star and still very good, set evening meal 28 euros or A la Carte, surroundings excellent ,along with the staff, who also speak English.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

There is one which is quite nice but it's not posh. It's in the center of a vineyard.

This is the Auberge de Nidolere. Leave Le Boulou and head towards Perpignan. Pass the Intermarche places and keep rolling for about two or three kms.

First you'll see a sign for Nidolere. This is the hamlet of Nidolere. Continue towards Perpignan and when you arrive at the transformer farm, it's marked for the Auberge de Nidolere. Turn right and it's about 800 meters to the restaurant.

This is a Catalan restaurant and it's great food. The price was good and the wines were from the local wineyard. It's a simple restaurant but it would be worth bringing a guest-it's a true Ferme Auberge restaurant.

Blackduff
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

That sounds good, Blackduff.
mwana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mwana »

Yes it does, always passed it and wondered what it was like.

Mwana
CarinaD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CarinaD »

That place sounds really nice Blackduff
I always think Chateau Valmy should have a restaurant, you can sample wines on their lovely terrace, view over the vineyards towards the sea, perfect setting for a restaurant
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

polremy wrote:That sounds good, Blackduff.
I understood that Nidoleres was one of those places that only opened up by prior appointment. Is that not the case?

Another place nearby that runs to the same(by appt only) arrangement,and I've heard several good reports of is Le Cabaret,just opposite the Les Chartreuses road.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

I have eaten there (auberge du Nidoleres) since 1993, when there was only six small tables in the restaurant. The food has always been great.

As far as I know, they keep normal restaurant open times. This is the proper name, etc..

Auberge du Domaine de Nidoléres
66300 Tresserre-Banyuls dels Aspres
Tel 04 68 83 04 23 or 04 68 83 15 14
Overt tous les jours de mai à septembre
sauf le lundi et mardi midi
et du jeudi au dimache sour hors saison

Martine Escudié is the owner and chef

The info has been from "32 Recettes de Chefs Catalan" which is from La Semaine.

Give it a call to see if it's correct to what I mentioned.

Blackduff
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Thanks BD. Perhaps it's only in the winter months(ie sept to May) where "special arrangements" apply?