Pine Processionary caterpillar

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Pine Processionary caterpillar

Post by Kate »

If you have problems with these lovely little chaps in your gardens, I have just been informed that there is now a product to get rid of them and that now is the time to use it. Sold at Gamme Verte (next to Intermarché Ceret and also in Prades) they have something that you put at the bottom of the trees and when the little buggas come down they walk through and Bang - they're gone. I would never normally wish harm on any animal, but I know of someone who had to have part of their dog's tongue amputated because of these little charmers.

http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Pine-P ... terpillars?
Last edited by Kate on Wed 08 Apr 2009 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

Yes, they are dangerous little buggers , such a nuisance. Those bags were featured on l'indep recently - a great local invention. They have them in the trees all over the lake in villeneuve de la raho, so they must be effective..
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

We still have them in one tree. Does anyone possibly know the name of the product?
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

here's the article in the local paper:

http://www.lindependant.com/articles/20 ... BRE-L.php5
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

If you go to Gamme Verte, they will show you which it is - I think there is only one. (and no doubt other garden shops but Gamme Verte for sure)
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Thanks for that. It looks like a metal band goes around the tree then when the caterpillars come down from they nest they go through a hole into a bag and become trapped. Each bag traps about 1,000 then it looks like you have to burn the bag. €25 for the kit. I wish these had been invented before we had to decapitate perfectly good trees in order to rid ourselves of them.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

I flamed 61 of the little so*s day before yesterday!!
Stops the hairs flying about - even when they're dead they're dangerous!!