Radio Reception

Problems/advice relating to your PC/Mac/Phone/Television/ Satellite TV/DVD/Blu ray......

Moderator: Moderators

Neil & Gina Watson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Radio Reception

Post by Neil & Gina Watson »

Hello,
Please can anyone recommend a portable radio that will receive radio five live and radio four down here so that I can listen to the football and 'The Archers' al fresco.
Thank you
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Interesting question Neal & Gina

One that i have looked at & researched a bit, with little success :roll:
I have bought a Roberts R 9962 which is a 12 band radio, but could not visit last year, so not tested yet.
But i have obtained reception for Talk Sport down in Argeles, but that's only mid-evening onwards & then the signal falters now & then.
Now if you had a laptop :wink:
Let me know if you find the answer.

Cheers Sav :)
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Do not rely on your laptop Neil. Because of "contractual rights" the Beeb block streams of 5 live etc to computers outside the UK.

Radio reception is pretty dire down here,but a good option is get a satellite telly set up which can receive Astra2 and Eurobird satellites. It's all FTV,and you can get ALL the national UK radio stations through your telly.Should cost no more than 300€ to set up,and there's no contracts/Sky cards or any of that sort of costly malarkey.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Talk Sport are not as petty john, but i do not have a lap top, so have to twiddle my dial in the hope of reception.
But it does not get me down, knowing where i am :D

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Not sure whether Neil will regard Talk Sport as a fair substitute for the Archers,Sav?!
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

I guess your right john :lol:
You made me smile & its belting with rain here :roll:
Now that will not help reception ;)

thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

raining AND cold Sav?

Oh dear! 18° here today on my terrace in the sun, facing the beautiful snow covered mountains with a lovelyl blue sky in the background .....
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

There's allways someone :(

Heating control overtime here, but at least the radio works ;)
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

oooh radio, no radio
there, here

no contest !!! :wink: :D
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

There are many things you can do with a wet fish :lol:
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

lol :lol:
Neil & Gina Watson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Neil & Gina Watson »

john wrote:Do not rely on your laptop Neil. Because of "contractual rights" the Beeb block streams of 5 live etc to computers outside the UK.

Radio reception is pretty dire down here,but a good option is get a satellite telly set up which can receive Astra2 and Eurobird satellites. It's all FTV,and you can get ALL the national UK radio stations through your telly.Should cost no more than 300€ to set up,and there's no contracts/Sky cards or any of that sort of costly malarkey.
Thank you we have satellite telly but that doesn't help when I am sat down the garden.
Neil
alexhampshire

Post by alexhampshire »

Neil & Gina Watson wrote:
john wrote:Do not rely on your laptop Neil. Because of "contractual rights" the Beeb block streams of 5 live etc to computers outside the UK.

Thank you we have satellite telly but that doesn't help when I am sat down the garden.
Neil
That's no problem. I bought these cordless speakers and they work fine in the garden.
http://www.bigdishsat.com/store/index.p ... alog&cat=9
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Radio Reception

Post by Roger O »

Neil & Gina Watson wrote:Hello,
Please can anyone recommend a portable radio that will receive radio five live and radio four down here so that I can listen to the football and 'The Archers' al fresco.
Thank you
I know you can get live UK radio programmes via the net from
http://www.rivieraradio.mc/
but I have no idea if they would be useful to you.
You would have to check the published lists.
Live in hope!
Roger
Tiffany
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiffany »

Dave bought me some cordless headphones, so I can listen to fab satellite radio (mainly radio 1) while I'm around and about - they even work in the restaurant!
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Yes,there's loads of these signal relay devices (either via headphones or speakers) on the market. Saw some in Darty only last week.

I suspect that it's the only option,as R4 is only on FM,or LW,or digital,none of which can be picked up at all here.
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

Tiffany wrote:Dave bought me some cordless headphones, so I can listen to fab satellite radio (mainly radio 1) while I'm around and about - they even work in the restaurant!
Serving, washing up or just playing music!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael
Tiffany
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiffany »

ha ha, I wish!
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Well I have just tried the BBC iPlayer Radio Fivelive, on our laptop - this is playing OK for the Breakfast Show whilst I type this..They have just given the time and that was correct...........May be some programs are blocked, but to my surprise this and many local radio links all seem to work OK..!!!

:shock: :shock: Paul :wink: :wink:

Went off a few seconds ago - but now back on - seems OK... :D :D
Our main radio upto now has been SKY, but we may now have to rethink..!! :idea: :idea:
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I wonder if the cordless headphones would solve my problem. I am becoming increasingly deaf and my family tell me that I have my TV/radio far too loud. It doesn't matter whilst I am living in an isolated gite, but if I buy a studio I won't want to annoy my neighbours.
Would they be in the TV section of the big supermarkets?
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

sue and paul wrote:Well I have just tried the BBC iPlayer Radio Fivelive, on our laptop - this is playing OK for the Breakfast Show whilst I type this..They have just given the time and that was correct...........May be some programs are blocked, but to my surprise this and many local radio links all seem to work OK..!!!

Our main radio upto now has been SKY, but we may now have to rethink..!! :idea: :idea:
Interesting Paul. Every time I've tried to listen its been blocked,but as you say it may be just certain programmes they block. Me,I just want to listen to sports commentaries,and it may be that they are all blocked,whereas "The Archers"(which I'm not remotely interested in) is OK.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Hi. Sue here. Our daughter messaged us recently to say her boss was broadcasting on Radio Nottingham. We tuned in from our laptop, and got the whole thing. Amazing! Presumably this works with other local radio stations. We can also get the play-back for Radio 4 for eg The News Quiz, if we've missed it that week. :D Oh...and even I can do it, so it must be easy!!
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Hi all

john you should be able to get Talk Sport on your pc & they have a live premiership match
on saturday afternoon's, as well as reports from other grounds.
They also do the odd England game.
http://www4.talksport.net/index.asp?
You can also get soccer saturday from sky, via video or audio link.
Its a great show.
Plus scores & results through the week & text commentry for some matches, just click on the match your interested in.
http://live.skysports.com/ScoreCentre/live.html

Hope that helps ;)

john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Thanks for the links Sav,I've tried TS before (in desperation,it has to be said!),but it was the same problem;ie OK at "normal times" but blocked when there's any commentary on. Perhaps it's changed. I'll have to check . I used to be able to get SSN on my satellite telly (a bit like Freeview in UK),but it seems to be scrambled these days.

These things change all the time. Up till last month I couldn't get Channel Four or five on my FTV telly here,but miraculously can now. I gather they've started putting mildly mucky films on both these late on. Not seen any yet,so when are they on?
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

No probs john :)

Just read that the Spain v England match is online.
9pm GMT
http://www.itv.com/Channels/ITV1/default.html

Bon chance ;)

Tiffany
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiffany »

Carol, have a look in Darty, they have a good choice. Mine are Sony and work for a good distance. It's great - it's like being in one's own entertainment world.

Radio: Radio 5, and indeed all speech broadcasts are generally copyright free, so you can get those. In our last place I had a ROKU which is a type of squeezebox that hooks up to your wifi network and broadcasts music from your computer using firefly or microsoft media connect. We now have all our music on the computer, so it is like having an endless cd changer. It also gets internet radio - and there is whole community dedicated to getting round the BBC overseas bans. It is said that it can be done using another piece of software whose name escapes me but I never had any luck with that. However, outside of sports broadcasts, it generally got 5 live - good station, really interesting, also BBC7 if you like drama and books. Like you say, John, the sports broadcasts rights are sold to the best bidder and are blocked from overseas transmission, or non- licence fee payers if they are broadcasting the matches.

Personally, I think the BBC is the bees knees, and I would happily pay the licence fee to have unrestricted access to all their facilities and broadcasts. I just wish they could find a feasible way of allowing overseas access.

I accidentally strayed onto my soapbox there, but apparently I'm not the only frustrated BBC fan on the forum!
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

sue and paul wrote:Well I have just tried the BBC iPlayer Radio Fivelive, on our laptop - this is playing OK for the Breakfast Show whilst I type this..They have just given the time and that was correct...........May be some programs are blocked, but to my surprise this and many local radio links all seem to work OK..!!!

Thanks for that.
You inspired me and I just had a go on the laptop, thinking that of course it wouldn't work because for one I am on the south tip of an island and for two I am not very good with computers .
But, hey, it asked me to download Real Player and so I did and then - I got Radio 5 and Radio 4 live and could probably get other radio stations too.
(no live tele though apparently since we are outside UK)
Thanks so much.
Mr. Polremy is delighted.
Haven't liked to break the news to him that perhaps it wont work for football on Saturday!
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

carol sheridan wrote:I wonder if the cordless headphones would solve my problem. I am becoming increasingly deaf and my family tell me that I have my TV/radio far too loud. It doesn't matter whilst I am living in an isolated gite, but if I buy a studio I won't want to annoy my neighbours.
Would they be in the TV section of the big supermarkets?
Carol - they have nice Philips ones in Darty specially for TV/Radio - i.e. not those expensive ultra hifi ones for music buffs which cost the earth. I think they are between 30-40 euros with a range of about 7 meters.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Tiffany wrote: Personally, I think the BBC is the bees knees, and I would happily pay the licence fee to have unrestricted access to all their facilities and broadcasts. I just wish they could find a feasible way of allowing overseas access.

!
I'd certainly agree there,Tiffany. Whilst the BBC is not perfect,and has a good deal of rubbish on these days;also there is increasing dumbing -down and political bias on the current affairs /news,it's only when you see the level of crap on French/Spanish TV (eg in both countries the line of whatever government is in power seems to be slavishly toed) that you realise just what a fine service it offers in the main.

I cannot,for example ,see the BBC allowing the equivalent of the farcical "debate", that last week allowed Sarkozy free rein to peddle his right wing views for 3 hrs to the nation.
Tiffany
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiffany »

You should try Greek TV - that is truly appalling. But,yes, despite its faults, it is an outstanding broadcaster, especially for it's radio.

I think sarko did himself a bit of a disservice with that interview - now the syndicats are talking about another general strike. Grrr. That'll really help the 'crises financiere', I daresay.