Fallen trees and where to get replacements

Gardening/Walking/Nature trails & wildlife. Share your experiences here...

Moderator: Moderators

allanwallis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by allanwallis »

Anyone know the best way to get rid of fallen trees, I lost 4 large pine trees in Saturday's storm and I need to get rid of them.

My french neighbour thinks that my home insurance policy should cover the trees but this wouldn't be the case in England - any thoughts anyone.

I need to buy a number of trees to act as a windbreak since the loss of the pines has left me quite exposed, anyone know where to buy good sized cypress trees, I need to buy large ones as I cannot afford to wait for them to grow.
Chantal
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Chantal »

I only have suggestions to offer:

Jardiland (phone nbr from directory enquiry or phone book, I guess) in Perpignan sold large palm trees in the summer. They might be able to advise.

your local town hall should also be able to advise. Neighbours as well?

As for insurance, France Bleue radio have been saying that to-morrow, costs assessments of the damage will begin. Perhaps they will have further info. on their website?

HOpefully, somebody here in AD will come up with a more specific response for you.

chantal
A fresh outlook on life! Une nouvelle vision de la vie! - www.ShantalOneSupport.com - +44 7909 330446
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

Pines you may have probs with, but fast growing conifers will attain a good height in 5 yeas.

A Pépiniériste will be best for advice, you have one at Bompas, a couple your side of Perpignan.

As far as removal Pebbles is near you and may be able to help!!

PM him.
Michael
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

It may not be workable, but have you thought of selling the fallen timber to a wood merchant on the basis of his cutting it and removing it?
Serge

Post by Serge »

On the main road from Colliure to Perpignan (maybe the D914) in the direction of Perpignan, you go past all of the Argeles exits and the Taxo exit, then there are some Jardinaire's (sp) on the left - go past them, then after another few killometres there is what looks like a 'tree nursery' on the left with lots of large trees in pots or sacks etc..

Don't know what it is called but it might be worth looking at if you are in the area.

With regard to disposing of the fallen trees, I should imagine that there are several AD forum members already beating a track to your door!
You shouldn't have a problem getting rid of the timber, probably at zero cost to yourself.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Here in the village there is a retired man who removes wood free to the decheterie - you just have to phone the mairie to book him.

Maybe your local mairies have similar?
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

Serge wrote:there is what looks like a 'tree nursery' on the left with lots of large trees in pots or sacks etc..

Don't know what it is called
Crèche for baby trees!!

:lol: :lol:
Michael
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Across the border into Spain, you can find a good place to buy larger trees. This is called Moner. This is located between Figueres and Girona. They have two stores but the one which is further from the sea is where they have trees.

You'll have to google "moner" and get the directions exactly but their plants are about half of what we pay in Perpignan.

I have bought a lot of bushes, etc. and it was quite good. Okay, sometimes are not the colour of the flowers marked but they're close. I bought some plants with ribbons showing white flowers but the actual colour was different.

Blackduff
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

http://www.viveristesdegirona.com/fr/detall.phtml?id=31

This gives the directions for Vivers Moner.

Blackduff
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Would suggest that you either pay someone to come and cut the trees up and take them away or you do it yourself, or you offer the wood free of charge to anyone prepared to come and cut it. Can't see it having a value, unfortunately!

The pepineriste between Figueres and Girona is very good.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

The info about the garden centre is useful thanks Blackduff. We are slowly stocking our land and have the need for some established bushes and small trees.
They are very expensive in France and as our knowledge of Mediterranean gardening is limited the disasters that we have had have been costly.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Unless it's changed very lately, the best place to get large trees at reasonable prices is

Clos des Palmiers (Le)
av du Palais des Expositions chem du Mas Taillant
66000 PERPIGNAN
04 68 80 53 35

Near the Palais des Expositions - go to the roundabout and enter the "back road" to Bompas. The entrance is just a few metres along that road on the right. They have (always did when we were there) a big selection of palms, olive trees and various fruit trees as well as all the usual plants found in jardinerie. The palms and (especially) olives are MUCH cheaper then in the big garden centres like Jardiland. They are imported from Spain and resold without such a huge markup as nearly all the others!

PS - I think they've changed their name since we left, but checked on the satellite and it's the same place.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

I've been to a lot of garden centres on both sides of the border (gardens to stock in both Spain and France) and if you are looking to buy a quantity of plants, unless you don't need to watch the pennies, you are better going into Spain. Plants, trees, pots, garden furniture etc are cheaper on that side of the border (as are most things at the moment!!!)
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Phew! I'm back after four days without electricity!!
I was contacted last week by a guy who does tree felling, fencing, land clearing, forestry etc. He has recently moved here and has been in forestry in Britain all his life.
His contact number is 04 68 87 34 85 and his name is Andrew - really friendly on the phone.
Last edited by Kate on Tue 27 Jan 2009 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
pfrancis
Rank 1
Rank 1

fallen trees and where to get replacements

Post by pfrancis »

If you want stuff cleared up I can help as I now have a pick-up truck.

I'm just registering as a Micro-Entrepreneur with the CCI and call myself bois
pyrenees. Supply of new trees I suppose will depend on what your Insurance Company says. Will they try and avoid coughing up by citing Act of God or Force Majeure? I have no idea.

If you need me please call me on my portable 06 16 76 26 11.

Many thanks in advance,
Paul
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

What exactly will you be doing as Bois Pyrenees, then please? Selling firewood or prepared wood?
allanwallis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by allanwallis »

Thanks to everyone for the advice and assistance offered.

Needless to say my insurance company say that the trees are not covered and they would only pay out in the event that they had damaged the house.

On further investigation we have found that 12 mature pines have been dislodged so we have instructed a contractor to remove them all.

Following advice from other members, we had a trip down to Spain and visited Vivers Moner, I have to say, I didn't find their prices that good. We did however come across another place at Sant Pere Pescador that seemed an awful lot cheaper.

Once again thanks to everyone