pool repair

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

pool repair

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hello ,

Can anyone recommend someone qualified to give advice on work needed to repair a swimming pool.
Its an in ground concrete pool that has developed a crack behind the tiles which may well be historic from the time the pool was constructed.

I am looking for someone who speaks English and is able to provide an estimate for the work as well as having the ability and competence to do a good job once and for all (without getting ripped off).

Maybe someone out there has experienced the same problem ?

We are near Sorede.

Thanks
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

In my recent experience,Tom,it all depends on how quickly you want the job doing.

Euro Piscines in Pollestres have just finished (last week) a refurb/liner fitting on mine. Nothing strange in that you may think,until you realise that they STARTED the work in late February.

The quality of the work has been fine. The price competitive (no point doing "cheap" on pools). But 4 and a half months to do a job that involved a couple of week's work at the most was not acceptable IMHO.

I've heard of similar stories regarding other pool companies too. So my advice to you is not to fall into the same trap as I did. Get some sort of time clause inserted into the devis/contract. As The Who said.... "I won't get fooled again".

PS..it was not an issue for me, but there are some English speakers at E.P.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Once again John and I seem to answer concurrently.
We found Monsieur Bonabal at Euro Piscine excellent. He speaks good English, which we needed. I didn't have refurb work done but he sourced odd sized margelles for us and we did give him a time limit and date for delivery. I told him we were flying over especially to fit them so he did manage to deliver when stipulated. Admittedly I badgered him just to make sure. His whole set up is very professional and nothing appears too much trouble for him or his workers. I found his prices for adhesive and cement just as competitive as Leroy Merlin's and would gladly use him again if needed. He does close for 2hr lunches in the summer.

Did they give you a reason for this delay John?
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Kathy wrote: Did they give you a reason for this delay John?
There were a number of excuses Kathy,but "work schedules" was one that was trotted out more than most.

Also I can assure you that the 2hr plus lunch breaks are by no means a "summer only" phenomenon.

I think you were sensible to put in a time/delivery clause in your contract. If (and it is a big IF) I use them again,I'll follow your lead!
mwana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mwana »

Hi,

I don't post on here but do read it, my husband and I run the internet cafe in ceret and also have some experience in pools. A couple of years ago we had a pool fitted by everblue in Le boulou, not only was some of it badly done, but also they told us that the heater we had brought previously was broken, last year our pool guy had a hell of a job cleaning the pool and this year I called in Europiscine to come and have a look, basically our filter was broken. They also suggested that the heater had been fitted wrong which was why it wasn't working. Anyway, suffice to say they came and replaced the filter and rebranched the heater and everything is great, so I would thoroughly recommend them, we know other people who use them too and Mr Nicolas Leseigneur the boss speaks great English and wasn't pushy about whether we wanted them to do the work, the guys that came round were friendly and careful when working as we have 3 kids a dog and 4 cats.

Hope this helps

Mwana
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

mwana wrote:Hi,

Iand Mr Nicolas Leseigneur the boss speaks great English and wasn't pushy about whether we wanted them to do the work,
Mwana
Unfortunately,Mwana, Mr Nicolas Leseigneur,is now the ex-boss. I suspect that this may not be unconnected with the problems I had.
TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Pool repair

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the contributions.

Unfortunately I find that the threads quickly go off topic and the original thread topic goes off on tangents.

With no intention of being rude or offending those who have taken the time to reply could I please try to return the thread to the original questions about the pool repair.

Many thanks
mwana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mwana »

Hi again

Well I would get a quote from Europiscine and others and get a time-frame of how long they could complete the work within the Devis? The problem we found, and the reason why we had a new lined pool installed was because many companies did not want to take on the job of renovating our pool which was very large, tiled and cracked, so much so the pipes had collapsed. I think John from JC Crew may know of someone who does renovate pools, perhaps try e-mailing him? I hope this has not gone off topic.

mwana
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Pool repair

Post by john »

TOM AND BARB wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for the contributions.

Unfortunately I find that the threads quickly go off topic and the original thread topic goes off on tangents.

With no intention of being rude or offending those who have taken the time to reply could I please try to return the thread to the original questions about the pool repair.

Many thanks
Tom, I do find your comment puzzling, And yes a little rude. I'm afraid you'll just have to explain in what way the replies of Kathy,Mwana and myself are "off topic"/"at tangents".

They are all real experiences with real companies in real time of swimming pool repairers/suppliers. Which ,forgive me if I'm wrong ,is what you asked for.

If you do not believe what we say,then I'd say Mwana's advice is the best. ie engage the services of a builder,and give over the project to him.
TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

pool repair

Post by TOM AND BARB »

thanks mwana,

Having also tried other French forums with the same question, I am coming to the conclusion that I may have to tackle the problem myself as I do not have the luxuary of waiting too long as I wish to use the pool this summer.

It would seem that there are few companies that are interested in repair work prefering instead to concentrate on new installations or replacement pool plant etc

I am now going to try to get advice from companies that manufacture repair products.
So far I have come across an American company called Sanitred that produce a polyurethane product that has remarkable claims to success in sealing damaged pools which remains flexible should the pool crack continue to move.
They do have a European subsidiary which I am waiting to hear from.
I am also going to try Sika to see if they have similar products.

Am keeping my fingers crossed.

If there are any significant developments I will post them so that others may benefit.

If anyone has already tried these type of products please do post the outcomes here.
TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

pool repair

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hello John,

Sorry if I offended.I was trying to be subtle.

Perhaps it is not best practice to mention individuals names on a forum such as this.
The thread was starting to become a little to close for comfort and whilst the experiences of forum memebers in dealing with companies may well be fair, individuals who work for companies could seek recourse if they deem the comments to be derogatory.

I also find that threads,particularly on this forum take whole new directions within a few responses and need to be kept on track.

I apologise if offence was taken, none was intended.I greatly value genuine input such as your own.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

No worries Tom. glad we cleared that up. I don't think either Mwana or I were being derogatory to Nicolas. Quite the opposite,in fact. As I say,I think it was his departure from EP that caused the hiatus on my pool work. Everything was going "swimmingly" up till then..boom..boom!
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

T&B
Remember that August is rolling along and any pool workers are swimming elsewhere. Don't forget to include this month in your plans.

Blackduff
TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

pool repair

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hi Blakduff,

Thanks for the response.It is another factor that has pushed me towards doing it myself otherwise the pool will be out of action until the autumn and possible even next year !!

I hope that I can get my hands on the necessary materials in time to effect a lasting repair.

There is so much contradictory advice out the about how best to go about the repair and what materilas are best for the job.

I am trying all ways I can think of to get the advice as its not the sort of job that I do not wish to repeat if I can help it.

There must be someone out there who has experienced the same situation.

What did they do ?
What did they use ?
How effective was it ? etc etc.

I sometimes think that if I can keep the thread going for long enough on track more people will have a chance to see it and respond.

Thanks again

T&B
vieux hibou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: pool repair

Post by vieux hibou »

TOM AND BARB wrote: Perhaps it is not best practice to mention individuals names on a forum such as this.
The thread was starting to become a little to close for comfort and whilst the experiences of forum memebers in dealing with companies may well be fair, individuals who work for companies could seek recourse if they deem the comments to be derogatory.

I also find that threads,particularly on this forum take whole new directions within a few responses and need to be kept on track.
I don't see any problem with this thread and find these comments a bit a puzzling. I always look carefully at this kind of thread just in case a member inadvertantly slanders someone in the process of voicing a complaint but in this case the only two people named are actually being praised.

It also seems to have been remarkably on track with clear advice.
Forum Moderator
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

john wrote:Unfortunately,Mwana, Mr Nicolas Leseigneur,is now the ex-boss. I suspect that this may not be unconnected with the problems I had.
I think this was understood to mean that Mr NL was the cause of the problems, whereas I understood it to mean that his absence was the cause of the problems - i.e. he was no longer there to take care of the work as it had been previously well done before he left, resigned, or whatever. In other words, he was being paid a compliment. Right john?
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Both you and VH have interpreted it absolutely correctly,Rog.
Jungle Jim

An alternative suggestion.

Post by Jungle Jim »

I read this thread with amusememt. My,my, we are prickly out there!

My advice - fill it in pronto. Leaking concrete pools are the devil to repair satisfactorily. Save up a few bob and go buy a spa. They come ready to plug in, cost a great deal less to operate than a pool, and you can use 'em throughout the year.

Jungle Jim
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: An alternative suggestion.

Post by john »

Jungle Jim wrote:I read this thread with amusememt.
Jungle Jim
You are clearly a man who is easily amused ,James.

I can't imagine your "advice" is exactly the sort that Tom wants to hear right now.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Everyone has their pool problems!!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7506584.stm
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

Tom and Barb, sent you a PM