Traps

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Traps

Post by Santiago »

Last night my dog got caught in a trap when he went into a "terrain de loisir" in the village. I know he probably shouldn't have nipped through the rather large hole in the fence but it seems a bit of overkill to protect an overgrown patch of scrub with such a device.

I'm pretty certain such traps are illegal in the UK but can anyone tell me what the law is here about laying out traps big enough to catch and injure cats, dogs and small children?

I'm thinking of taking it to show the Mairie - any advice?
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nigel and Karen »

Sounds horrable, was it a spring loaded or a wire loop trap.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

TRAPS

Post by Kathy »

You didn't say but I hope your dog is alright.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

It was a clam-type spring trap, about 20cm long, the kind they used to use to trap foxes and badgers in the UK.

Sam the dog was hurt initially but is OK and back to his normal self now.

Is this kind of thing legal? I wouldn't dream of putting anything like this in my vineyards ever and I can't believe someone would do this.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

No it isn't legal and you should report it to the SPA (French RSPCA). If you need help, please send me a PM.
RF.
DavidB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DavidB »

Santiago,
If you want to make it known to the Maire and the Mairie, it can sometimes be more effective to go along to the next meeting of the Conseil Municipale to show all the conseilleurs.
The meetings are normally posted on the village board, the public would be invited to....."...assister a une reunion...".
I agree with Robert's advice.
DavidB
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

The next municipal election being in March 2008, I doubt whether M. le Maire and his Conseillers municipaux will be willing to antagonize potential electors.
I reiterate my offer to give you the name and address and telephone number of an SPA inspector.
RF.
dazzert66
Rank 0
Rank 0

traps

Post by dazzert66 »

It is legal to set traps to catch foxes,badgers in season and other nuisance species as long as they are set properly and you must visit them at least every 2 days to check them,you must also have a Permis du Chasse and be a registered trapper.These rules do differ between regions and it may be illegal here but I doubt it.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Traps

Post by Santiago »

Thanks for the information about what to do and whether it is legal or not and who to contact.

We have a really good relationship with our local Maire so I will go and visit him with the trap and talk to him first. I don't want to fall out with anyone in the village.