Use it or lose it

A place for new members to say a quick hello and introduce themselves.

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Use it or lose it

Post by Kate »

I know that sounds very rude, and I apologise in advance, but most people have gone over to Facebook, so whilst we still get a lot of new members joining , very few actually post….or if they do, it’s often in answer to a question that was posted by prehistoric man in 2019!
Once Upon a Time, the forum was a really useful resource. Can we try and make it that again?
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Use it or lose it

Post by alan »

Hi Kate

Hope you are well. As you know, back in October 2021, Gus Morris posted as follows:

"Once upon a time this forum was quite lively. Discussions on all sorts of subjects as well as people looking for advice.
Over the past couple of years our lives have changed. For some of us it has meant dealing with the double whammy of Covid and Brexit.How have you managed to cope with all the changes. What lessons have you learnt. Any interesting experiences you would care to share?"

I and a couple of others responded to this invitation from Gus.

May I suggest (respectfully, of course) that the administrators / moderators let us know of their experiences post Covid and Brexit.

Kind regards

Alan
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

Well Kate, it's a week on and no new posts except Nicky Faure asking for a lift. Reluctantly, I think it is time to recognise that the Forum has had its day and is no longer valued by the members but thank you for making it available during all those years when it was an interesting and useful resource. Best wishes Alan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Thanks Alan. I think the problem is that Facebook is so much easier to use than the forum. It’s easier to post photos, and ‘like’ or laugh or cry without actually commenting.
There is so much useful historical information on the forum, that every time I think I should get rid of it, I find something interesting and leave it a bit longer!
Here is the link to our Facebook group for those interested.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/polifemag
SteveB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SteveB »

I'm not that familiar with the Facebook page so it may be that it can do things I haven't yet discovered, but...for me the Forum has some advantages such as posts being categorised into different subject areas and the facility to select "new posts" when you log in. So a pity that people aren't using it much any more.

On a technical matter, by the way, the "remember me" function doesn't seem to work any more so I have to log in again every time you use it.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Yes, I'm having the same problem Steve. I didnt bother too much with it as so few posts but I'll see if there's anything obvious that needs ticking or unticking! :)
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

I have only just discovered this post. In truth I rarely look at the forum these days.

Since the forum concept was launched social media has evolved. As have internet users. Today I mainly use WhatsApp and Facetime and exchange views only with people I trust. Though have not necessarily ever met in the flesh. No trolls bent on causing trouble or inner circles that tend to take over forums and similar discussion groups on, say, Facebook.

Yes, sadly, I agree that it is time to close this forum. Maybe one day the wheel will turn full circle and the forum will be reinvented.

Au Revoir

Gus
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

To you too Gus. I have enjoyed your posts over the years.

Alan