Forum quiet

Something to say that doesn't fit anywhere else? Voilà!
SteveB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Forum quiet

Post by SteveB »

There doesn’t seem to have been any new activity on the forum for the past few days - unless posts haven’t been coming through for some reason?
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Forum quiet

Post by Merisin »

Yes, you are quite right. Public trust in social media is greatly diminished. Who really wants to share experiences or information when there is a real risk of verbal abuse in one form or another? Or unreasonable censorship?

In the last few days we've had the calamity in Paris and a major disruption of the D914 at Paulilles. But not a word on here. Which probably tells us all we need to know.

Merisin
TonyGoodman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TonyGoodman »

Things move on I suppose, this media is slightly dated and response times can be slow. However it is a good data base for solutions to repetitive problems.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Perhaps this forum is quiet as nobody has anything worthwhile to say at present. I think a quiet forum is better than social media such as Facebook that seems to be full of people posting frequent selfies and a running commentary of everything they are doing. Is anyone really interested in that?

Russell
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Merisin wrote: Thu 18 Apr 2019 06:51 In the last few days we've had the calamity in Paris and a major disruption of the D914 at Paulilles. But not a word on here. Which probably tells us all we need to know.

Merisin
Au contraire! I don’t think it tells us anything. This forum has always been more of a reference source, or a place for a structured discussion. Rather than a place to pour out grief over a cathedral burning. As for the D914 near Paulilles, that it only of interest if you happen to travel that way.

Facebook is much more immediate, unstructured and self indulgent and if there is any logic to its presentation then I have yet to find it. For quick answers to quick questions then it is very good, but as a reference source it is useless.

By the way, what happened to your Avatar?
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

I was informed by PM that it was not politically correct and asked to remove it. Which I did as I don't really want to offend anybody.
neil mitchell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by neil mitchell »

I am white English but my family is black Afro Caribbean and I never felt it to be "incorrect" or offensive.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

No, we never saw anything offensive about it either, but a couple of complaints about it being racist meant that we had to mention it to Merisin who very kindly agreed to delete it to avoid arguments. :bomb:
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Shame! I remember collecting the tokens from my Dad's favourite marmalade in the 1950s and sending off for a badge.

Russell
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Merisin wrote: Thu 18 Apr 2019 06:51 Yes, you are quite right. Public trust in social media is greatly diminished. Who really wants to share experiences or information when there is a real risk of verbal abuse in one form or another? Or unreasonable censorship?

In the last few days we've had the calamity in Paris and a major disruption of the D914 at Paulilles. But not a word on here. Which probably tells us all we need to know.

Merisin

I believe that this is called “passive aggression”. Not my favorite way of communicating, even if the underlying grievance were not so ill-judged.

Though your experience of the forum has evidently been much more traumatic than mine.