Brits on the Box

Open 24/7 Come in, relax and chat about issues relating to the P-O.

Moderator: Moderators

Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Brits on the Box

Post by Gus Morris »

Caught a glimpse of what I took to be a couple of subjects of the Dear Queen on local TV last night. I was busy doing something so didn't really catch the story. Seemed to be about the possible effects of Brexit. . Either FR 3 had picked people who did not have a reasonable command of French or they interviewed them in English to make a point.

Did anybody else see it ?

Gus
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Rats. Missed it. Doesnt really matter who they picked does it? A cross section would be those who speak french fluently, those who speak it passably, and those who don’t speak it at all. Has to be one of those groups so why not the third? :-) It was actually done via the P-O Life Face book Page where they asked for volunteers and the couple they chose seem very pleasant.
Last edited by Kate on Fri 14 Sep 2018 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
Ted & Jemima
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ted & Jemima »

Good morning!

The segment was called 'Villefranche-de-Conflent (66) : les Britanniques et le Brexit' and you can view it at http://findinglanguedoc.com/tv/ where it is sixth from the top at present, but will move lower down the list as it is updated with the latest videos about the region.

Yours,
Ted & Jemima
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

You can also see it here

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr ... ys-catalan

It's the last item in the bulletin- around 4' 15" in
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Merci to all.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:Rats. Missed it. Doesnt really matter who they picked does it? A cross section would be those who speak french fluently, those who speak it passably, and those who don’t speak it at all. Has to be one of those groups so why not the third? :-) It was actually done via the P-O Life Face book Page where they asked for volunteers and the couple they chose seem very pleasant.
There are also people who don’t speak it even passably, but who try. They had a passage at the beginning of the TV piece when they were doing that. I admire them, but it would take them wills of steel to get much better (given that they still seem to be working in the anglosphere).

Every article you read suggests that your language-learning neurones seize up pretty early. I had some tiny rudiments of French at around 10 or 11, but almost nobody in the UK gets that now, unless they go to a very expensive private school (and even then it’s more likely to be Mandarin).

One of the many advantages of Brexit is that interest in foreign-language learning is apparently going from dismal to near-zero. Let’s just take back control of our tongues, and save the money.
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Didn't realise that the subjects were recruited via the PO LIfe FB group. I'm no big fan of FB so only use when no other option is available. Like following anti-Brexit campaigns.

Don't suppose we'll ever know how many people put their names forward.

Did the interviewees ever share the experience on social media? After all, being the focus of a reportage on a national TV channel is not exactly an everyday experience for most of us

Gus
Ted & Jemima
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ted & Jemima »

Hello. A variation on the Brits in France & Brexit topic in this headline from today's La Depeche newspaper in Aude: https://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2018/1 ... mands.html .

Yours,
Ted & Jemima
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

[quote="Ted & Jemima"]Hello. A variation on the Brits in France & Brexit topic in this headline from today's La Depeche newspaper in Aude: https://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2018/1 ... mands.html .

Yours,eng
Ted & Jemimaj[/quot

I was curious about the music thought to be appropriate to an English tea-time. Handel’s Water Music mostly for me, but I do like my tea strong.
Ted & Jemima
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Brits on the Box

Post by Ted & Jemima »

More media coverage of pre-Brexit Brits living in Languedoc:
'Aude: the English blues of Corbières before Brexit'
https://www.lindependant.fr/2018/11/23/ ... 979407.php

Yours,
Ted & Jemima
Gus Morris
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Gus Morris »

Bit of a rarity this. An article that is not openly pro-Brexit from the BBC. Could it be that they have softened their editorial stance?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46329850
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Do you really think this? Everything I can recall has been implicitly pro-remain (or at least not at all gung-ho for Brexit) but trying to keep a measure of balance through very firmly gritted teeth. The side I don’t support (I nearly said the loonies, since I’m under no obligation to be balanced, unlike the BBC) do after all pay 51.2% of the bills, or whatever it is. Except that they are knuckle-dragging idiots who are mostly on the dole, or corrupt plutocrats in the pay of Moscow.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I have just re-read the article. I like the passage that says that “Carcassone has half the population of Oldham”. You could do worse, but you would have to be very choosy.
Ted & Jemima
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ted & Jemima »

Hello again

Another example today of local paper coverage of Brexit impact on Brits resident here: 'Brexit: English and Ceretane for 13 years, she is afraid of losing everything' https://www.lindependant.fr/2019/01/27/ ... 978605.php

Yours,
Ted & Jemima
Florence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Florence »

Can you cut and paste the article ? It´s pay to view.
Ted & Jemima
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ted & Jemima »

As Requested [machine translation]:
"Brexit: English and Ceretane for 13 years, she is afraid of losing everything
Justine, originally from England, decided to live in the Pyrénées-Orientales in 2006 with her husband and two daughters. Brexit worries him.
Justine and her family have been adopted by Céret for 13 years now. However, this Catalan heart is afraid that everything will change from March 29. Henceforth, it does not matter to have friends, house, CDI, life in the Pyrenees-Orientales when you have Jane Birkin's accent. Because yes, Justine was born in England. "I arrived in 2006 and I will eventually have to apply for a residence permit, " she laments.

The adoptive Cerétane, professor of English (of course!) In Perpignan is particularly affected by the consequences of Brexit. An exit from the European Union that she has obviously never wanted. "It's a disaster," she says.

When she arrives in 2006 under the Catalan sky, Justine sends her two daughters to study at the French school. Although they are pure products of the National Education tricolor, they too will have to embark on administrative procedures to stay in France. "We have no choice but to apply for dual nationality. This is the only way to secure the life of our family here in Céret. We love our life in France. And I know that my daughters also feel very European. "

The referendum lived "like a shock"
In addition to the verdict of the referendum lived "as a shock" , Justine confides also feel some fears about future formalities to achieve to stay in the Pyrenees-Orientales. "We are not very well informed, all this is pretty vague. We do not really know what will happen. " Definitely, this divorce is far from being agreed by all. Is not it?

Diane Sabouraud"

Yours,
Ted & Jemima
Florence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Florence »

Is it not possible to just cut & paste the article? Computer translations are always rubbish.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Haha. Particularly proved (proven?) by the ‘Is not it?’ at the end of the article! :french: :french:
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

I would normally sympathise (a tiny bit). But if she has managed to affect the same accent as Jane Birkin for 13 years, I’m in two minds.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Florence wrote: Tue 29 Jan 2019 18:02 Is it not possible to just cut & paste the article? Computer translations are always rubbish.
I think you are maybe missing the point of reading things in translation. I’ve read much worse attempts done by humans.