home for a donkey?

Post all topics on our furry 4 legged friends here.

Moderator: Moderators

lp66
Rank 0
Rank 0

home for a donkey?

Post by lp66 »

We are moving house at the end of the year and, as we are going somewhere without land, need to find a home for our donkey. He is a large, un-castrated male, and is around 20 years of age (we have had him for 15 years and he was adult when he arrived). He is used to daily human contact with us and passers-by, but his companion died some time ago and since then he has been by himself, so we don't know how he behaves with other animals.
We are looking to find another home for him, and would also appreciate any recommendations for a donkey refuge or sanctuary.
many thanks
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

http://www.lafermedubonheur.org/about_us.html

You could try asking at La Ferme du Bonheur, Argelès
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

You could also try
http://lafermeauxgrandesoreilles.fr/tarifs.html

Even if they can’t take him they might have some ideas
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

And answers from Facebook.

LAFERMEDUBONHEUR.ORG
La Ferme du Bonheur/about us

Heehaws - For the Love of Donkeys find them on FB

I would recommend having him castrated. It will be very difficult to find a good home for him otherwise.

A friend has suggested Asinerie de Rivage,you can find them on facebook.

Best of luck
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Kate wrote:And answers from Facebook.

LAFERMEDUBONHEUR.ORG

I would recommend having him castrated. It will be very difficult to find a good home for him otherwise.

Best of luck
When I bought my house in Normandy, it came with a couple of Shetland ponies that I certainly hadn’t agreed to buy. When I eventually got the former owner to sort them out, the stallion had to be castrated, at an equally advanced age, for anyone to take him. It seems an incongruous term for a small horse, but I guess it’s technically right.
Sus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sus »

Kate wrote:And answers from Facebook.

LAFERMEDUBONHEUR.ORG

Best of luck
I would also recommend having him castrated. You can also try and post an add on Leboncoin.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

...and some more suggestions from Facebook

You could post this to Cheval66.

If you could pass this on, please: Association Caramel in Tresserre and there is a donkey-farm in Fourques. Good luck.

Ferme du Bonheur in Argelès

You might consider the new refuge in Ceret... ?? Can't remember the name... (Mariana?) But they house horses too...
Jane Lawes
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jane Lawes »

We have tentatively talked about adopting a donkey on our land where we also have goats. We would need to build him a shelter - what sort of area is he used to grazing and what size of shelter? Also a neighbor had asked us to check if he is very noisy generallly? And also is he used to staying within the confines of a fenced area - if he habitually destroys fences then that would not work for our goats! Also would you undertake to transport him to us and where in the PO are you? We are in Camelas. 0674143490 is my mobile if you could please contact me directly to talk about the possibility of us adopting him. Kind regards, Jane
Jane Lawes
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: home for a donkey?

Post by Jane Lawes »

Please could you confirm whether or not you saw my post offering to try to adopt your donkey? We live in Camelas with wooded land and some pasture which accommodates our goats. The offer is to look after him for the rest of his life , or ours! Here’s hoping that He has found a good home already but if not then please do contact me to see if it’s fomething we can help with. My questions in my last post were just practical considerations I was keen to get more information on.
Jane 0674143490
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Suggest you send a P M to make sure that they have seen your post.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I've just read a pm from Jane Lawes about the donkey. I could hardly read it as it is in faint text on a black background. Jane, if you see this, it was me who suggested on this thread that you contact La Ferme du Bonheur, but it's nothing actually to do with me, it was just an idea for adopting the donkey
Madeleine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Madeleine »

sue and paul wrote: Thu 22 Nov 2018 11:28 I've just read a pm from Jane Lawes about the donkey. I could hardly read it as it is in faint text on a black background. Jane, if you see this, it was me who suggested on this thread that you contact La Ferme du Bonheur, but it's nothing actually to do with me, it was just an idea for adopting the donkey
SORRY! I thought I'd caught of all those black backgrounds. Could you try clearing your cache and let me know if it is still the same? In the meantime I will go back through the files and see if I can identify the coding that is causing it.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Happy to clear my cache. Wassat?
Madeleine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Madeleine »

The internet browser that you use to view the web stores or caches files from the website offline to avoid having to reload them every time you visit. How to do it depends on what you are using. Are you on a laptop or phone or pad? And what browser are you using i.e. Google Chrome, Internet Explorer/Edge, Safari or Firefox?
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Macbook Air/Google Chrome
Madeleine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Madeleine »

sue and paul wrote: Thu 22 Nov 2018 16:28 Macbook Air/Google Chrome